Explain coffee cards?

LMaxwell

I saw mention of what items get punches used and which don't but that has me confused?

What coffee is totally free included with the cruise?

What coffee is available by using a coffee card but NOT redeeming a punch? What would this coffee cost without a card?

What coffee or desserts are available by using a coffee card and redeeming one punch? What is the avg cost of these drinks on their own?

How does transferring to a future cruise work? Can I purchase a coffee card as a gift for someone else and how would I do so? Thanks in advance

I saw mention of what items get punches used and which don't but that has me confused?

What coffee is available by using a coffee card but NOT redeeming a punch? What would this coffee cost without a card?

What coffee or desserts are available by using a coffee card and redeeming one punch? What is the avg cost of these drinks on their own?

How does transferring to a future cruise work? Can I purchase a coffee card as a gift for someone else and how would I do so? Thanks in advance

Did you see this thread - it was started earlier today and seems to address several of your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118731

Or this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2114745&highlight=coffee+card&page=2

If you use the Search this Forum function on the Princess board and type in coffee card you will find a lot of discussions of the coffee card. I've found them very useful in my research.

Edited by MarKay525

I had seen the first link. That's the one that lead to confusion. Second link answered some of my questions. Thanks for that. On mobile device am limited on search abilities

To put it simply - if you like fresh brewed coffee, only available in some areas, or specialty coffees (lattes, etc.) get a coffee card. If you are doing a cruise where it might be cold on deck, they charge for hot chocolate but with the card they are free, if they have a Gelato cafe you get one Gelato for a punch. 15 punches are on the card. You get free fresh brewed coffee at the bars that serve it, free Gelatos, free hot chocolates and then you can use it on your next cruise for the Specialty Coffees only, so you always get to use it up. I compared the prices once a long time ago and have always used one since then for the savings, I like my morning Lattes.;) You can also get the special teas at the IC for free with it. I can burn through two of them easy on a 10 day cruise.:D Your name is not on the card, just the ship and cruise date, so you can give it to someone else, just don't lose yours or someone else will have nice coffees, etc.:eek:

Syrup based coffee is free onboard in dining venues. NOT free in bars

Fresh brewed coffee at International Cafe (IC) It depends on the size I believe. I don't buy it so don't remember the cost but it's addressed in one of the other threads linked in the post above

Specialty coffee - Latte, Mocha Frappuchino, etc. cost one punch on the card. I don't buy them without a coffee card so I don't know what they cost without it.

I believe that the only ships where you can get desert with a coffee card are the Royal and Regal and it's only Gelato. I don't know if it takes one or two punches. I've seen posts claiming each of those so maybe there is a difference in what you can get?

How does transferring to a future cruise work? Can I purchase a coffee card as a gift for someone else and how would I do so? Thanks in advance.

If you don't use all the punches you can use them on a subsequent cruise. You can NOT get the fresh brewed coffee on subsequent cruises unless you use a punch. You can purchase a card in advance as a gift by calling Princess at 800-774-6237 and ordering the Cafe Select Coffee Card - Item #524 - for a cost of $31. I order them for my wife.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Thrak

btw- The fresh brewed coffee is UNLIMITED for the cruise that your on but if you save the card for another cruise that option expires & can only be used for the remaining punches. Therefore one card can provide unlimited coffee for 2 people so don't buy a second card until you actually need it. ;)

Some of the other ships besides Royal and Regal have gelato in the IC, I've been told the Ruby for example. I'm really looking forward to trying it next month! I don't know which other ships, though.

The Royal and Regal do not serve gelato at the IC. These two ships have separate ice cream shoppes named GELATO.

but you have to use a punch available on the card.

It would not be unlimited...

My August cruise, I have 3 unpunched cards from previous cruises. I used it for my fresh brewed,,,,BUT since they did not have half and half and I was entitled to a specialty coffee for the same punch, I switched up later in the cruise to a cafe latte with the steamed milk.

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet

I guess I didn't ask the right question. Can my wife use her three year old card to get a cappuccino or will she be limited to brewed coffee only. She wouldn't mind having it punched, as she expected that would be the case when she bought it. Thanks

I guess I didn't ask the right question. Can my wife use her three year old card to get a cappuccino or will she be limited to brewed coffee only. She wouldn't mind having it punched, as she expected that would be the case when she bought it. Thanks

On subsequent cruises you can ONLY use the unpunched punches;)

You can get a specialty coffee OR brewed OR tea OR hot chocolate...but each one will cost you a punch.

I know, it's like pulling teeth, isn't it? People have this laser-like focus (some would call it a pathological obsession) with the brewed coffee benefit and can't seem to answer a question without dragging that giant red-herring-shaped pile o'coffee grounds into every response.

Yes, your wife can still use her old coffee card to get capps, lattes, mochas, et al. They'll be punched for, same as when the card was new. I have ones that old and more and had no problem using them. Sante!

Can use a punch for any specialty coffee with the old card.