Summer 2016

I think there is still more itinerary variety than with other lines: NCL Epic has done the same ports in the summer for the last few years (since it started I think) and none of their European trips have much variety: although they have a few one-offs that look a bit different later in the year.

For us who are new to Thomson there are some good ports available and they definitely mean we will be considering them.

I can also understand why they use Palma as a base because it's ideally near to the airport, has a good port, and a popular/busy airport for UK flights from the UK, plus a popular pre/post cruise holiday location. Not like P&O using Genoa and having to bus people in from Nice :rolleyes:

yes sail-away, trying work it out (1) Fuel costs down. (2) Strong pound (so more buying power (across all items they need). (3) No doubt good leverage on costs (i.e. new port Malaga probably giving them sweeteners. You would have expected a reduction (based upon next year at the same time as we are going this year its only £80 cheaper)

Ouch!!! I don't like those prices!

Also itineraries leave a lot to be desired e.g. a 14 night b2b from Malaga on 22nd May has Gibraltar twice in 3 days?????

(i.e. new port Malaga probably giving them sweeteners.

Malaga Port is in serious financial trouble for overcharging - and therefore not attracting ships - rather than giving sweetners!!! Maybe they have had a change of heart but somehow I doubt it as it is not in the Spanish mentality to drop prices even though they would make money in the long run.

Edited by campolady

Booking online etc is now available so i did a dummy booking for a 14 nighter in June on Discovery with a single outside cabin.

18 June 2016 - 14 nights with free drinks package - single outside - flights from Gatwick - £2410

On P&O Oceana - Genoa to Genoa via Venice - 14 nights -outside - flights from Gatwick - £2962 some ? onboard credit plus £150 shareholder benefit.

So discovery is about £400 cheaper than P&O - interesting, especially as those outside cabins can have a queen sized double bed and have a sofa!

Then you have the free cheap booze package as well.

Just bit the bullet and booked Discovery for next July. My travel agent matches online prices so was quite pleased. Wasn,t too keen on the air carrier (Europe Air Post) which doesn't allow you to book extra luggage or extra leg room, but she managed to get us on the British Airways flight which has better flight times (early morning). Have been saying for years we would like to try a bigger ship but have always stayed with Thomson because we like the brand. This will be a good chance to sample a larger ship before going on one of the mega ones.

Hi biffybear

We have been looking to book today but price looked a bit high for us I did however book Celebration for our 2016 Caribbean cruise with our TA and they actually beat the web price (with extras) and the overall cost was less than 2012/13 and 14 for the same cruise, I know its not on the Dream but we don't like the days at sea on the Dream, we are determined to try the Discovery next year but think, for our first time ever, we will wait for late availability and keep our fingers crossed:)

We were on the Celebration the year before last sailing from Newcastle to the fjords. Had a fabulous cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would love to do the carribean but hate flying! Have done long haul in the past but find as I get older the anxiety gets worse. I'm sure you will have a great cruise and meet some fun people.

_we have been on Celebration think it was 2years ago too Istanbul. when we go long haul we go premium which we find much better as we don't like flying particularly the return this is the first year for along time we have not been to the Caribbean and I must say we have missed it only a few weeks until we are on the Dream then Celebration in Sep😀

Just booked Celebration for a B2B in July 2016. Flying out on Dreamliner, yah. Got deluxe balcony and free drinks package. Doing Venice, Malta and Sicily and all the old Yugoslavia stops. DW happy.

Also booked in TA and got a free Miles the bear.

Hi SausPud

How have you found out its the 787? we are doing the same cruise this year and it would be nice if it was scheduled for us too:)

When booked with TA in shop. The flight detsils came up. And when in shop they had an email saying what airports in Europe are getting the 787 for summer 2016.

Are you flying from Gatwick on the 21st July?

I have just booked a cruise for june 2016 on Discovery from Palma. The TA was surprised to see the flights listed as on a Dreamliner. :D

Are Thomson buying more of them?

No they have around 7 of them but they have to do European short flights in between the long hauls to keep the flying hours in service.

When booked with TA in shop. The flight detsils came up. And when in shop they had an email saying what airports in Europe are getting the 787 for summer 2016.

Are you flying from Gatwick on the 21st July?

Sorry, no its September this year we go from BHX so the flight change is probably happening next year. Had a look at Dubrovnik airport and they are not showing that they take the 787 at the moment:)

Sorry, no its September this year we go from BHX

That's why this thread is titled "Summer 2016", your cruise is neither summer nor 2016. And when you booked the TA would have said if you had a dreamliner flight.

Thank you SausPud for your friendly reply I did actually say sorry, but was only asking for information not questioning the validity of your post.

I have only been registered on the site for a short time and felt I could possibly contribute with my cruising experience and obviously learn from a wider community but we all live and learn. Once again sorry that you took my request for information the wrong way but I promise I will not respond to any of your posts again:(

hi PENSIONCRUISER I see you have booked Celebration for 2016 i my self and wife are doing stay and cruise from the 28th FEB stay first at the sea breezes hotel then the old Tropical delights TORTOLA ST KITT,S ECT 3rd time but love the Caribbean three on the DREAM and first on the celebration and fingers crossed discovery 2017 how about you . howard

We do btb so will be on board for your second week we missed the Caribbean this year but have been for the past 6 years on the Dream & Destiny love it and the sun but don't like the return flight hope it will be better on the 787 booked premium??? looking to do Discovery in Sep but prices are a bit high so thought we would look at late availability which would be our first time ever think the wife will require a bit more notice!! I realize this is 2016 post but I must say just a few weeks until the Dream then Celebration in Sep. Thanks for your post

Roger☺

Thank you SausPud for your friendly reply I did actually say sorry, but was only asking for information not questioning the validity of your post.

I have only been registered on the site for a short time and felt I could possibly contribute with my cruising experience and obviously learn from a wider community but we all live and learn. Once again sorry that you took my request for information the wrong way but I promise I will not respond to any of your posts again:(

Please don't be put off by that post - most of the people on here are friendly as you have probably noticed & often threads go off at a tangent which sometimes makes it all the more fun! :)

Please don't be put off by that post - most of the people on here are friendly as you have probably noticed & often threads go off at a tangent which sometimes makes it all the more fun! :)

Well said Jules.

The way we all natter on the original post is often left behind. I think this is due to friendliness though as everyone always tries to give help instead of just answering the questions.

We wouldn't want to be the' boring forum' would we? :rolleyes::D:D

Well said Jules.

The way we all natter on the original post is often left behind. I think this is due to friendliness though as everyone always tries to give help instead of just answering the questions.

We wouldn't want to be the 'boring forum' would we? :rolleyes::D:D

Or intolerant! ;)