Caribbean Music

Raxter54

Not sure where to post this, so thought I would place it here.

DW and I will be sailing on the Serenade of the Seas to the Caribbean in March. I want to get some Caribbean/West Indian/Calypso/Reggae music, but not sure the names of artists, groups, genre, etc. Found some music by the Merrymen and Tradewinds, any other groups out there like them? Do any of the cruise lines sell any cds with Caribbean music? Any help would be appreciated....

Re my Bob Marley answer.

As usual, I didn't fully read the question. :rolleyes:

Caribbean regulars will know that you can hear him blaring from every bar, every car, every bus, every home. Three Little Birds, Buffalo Soldier, No Woman No Cry, etc.

By far the most influential reggae artist of modern times, regarded as a god among Rastafarians.

I'd never heard of Merrymen or Tradewinds, so I've now listened to a few tracks.

Very watered-down calypso, reminds me of Harry Belafonte years ago, can imagine they're far more popular outside the Caribbean than in it.

So perhaps Harry Belafonte would be a more appropriate answer than Bob Marley. ;)

Even if none of them are exactly my own choice.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Although not Calypso music, I don't cruise without a good mix of Jimmy Buffet music on my iPod. Somehow, Jimmy Buffet music and cruising just seem to go together.;)

Although I'm not a Parrot Head, I do have some of Buffet's music on my iPod. I'll check out the other suggestions. Just wanting something to play in the car as we approach NOLA, to get in the Caribbean cruise frame of mind....

One of the Online cruise agents that I use (affiliated with American Airlines) has spectacular Caribbean Hold Music. I am trying to get them to make it available as a download. Many different Caribbean groups, and some really deep cuts from Jimmy Buffett and Marley. But as of today still no download link.

Not sure where to post this, so thought I would place it here.

DW and I will be sailing on the Serenade of the Seas to the Caribbean in March. I want to get some Caribbean/West Indian/Calypso/Reggae music, but not sure the names of artists, groups, genre, etc. Found some music by the Merrymen and Tradewinds, any other groups out there like them? Do any of the cruise lines sell any cds with Caribbean music? Any help would be appreciated....

http://www.putumayo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Abyssinians, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, The Dualers, The Skatalites, The Mighty Diamonds, The Buena Vista Social Club, Tito Puente, Xavier Cugat, Harry Belafonte, etc. Tim Armstrong's tune "Into Action" is a fun ska tune that always gets my feet moving. Also, Michael Franti does some great tunes.

Search online for "Always High" web radio station. Good selection of newer tunes there.

Edited by Bookish Angel

The Abyssinians, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, The Dualers, The Skatalites, The Mighty Diamonds, The Buena Vista Social Club, Tito Puente, Xavier Cugat, Harry Belafonte, etc. Tim Armstrong's tune "Into Action" is a fun ska tune that always gets my feet moving. Also, Michael Franti does some great tunes.

Search online for "Always High" web radio station. Good selection of newer tunes there.

Whoa, that certainly broadened my search :D Thanks!

:D Did you actually list all these off the top of your head? You are really into the sounds. Great :)

Plus, I work for public radio and it is an excellent source for old and new music discoveries.

Thanks for sharing this....... makes me feel a little less inadequate being unable to remember so many artists of certain genre. :D

Now that I've got a good collection of Caribbean music, guess I'll have to work on some NOLA music since we are going a day early to tour the city. Blues and Zydeco, here I come :D

Neville Brothers, Meters (Funky Meters), Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band, Wild Tchoupitoulas, Golden Eagles, Wild Magnolias, Trombone Shorty, Ernie K-Doe, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Marcia Ball, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, and too many more.

Neville Brothers, Meters (Funky Meters), Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band, Wild Tchoupitoulas, Golden Eagles, Wild Magnolias, Trombone Shorty, Ernie K-Doe, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Marcia Ball, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, and too many more.

Along with Buckwheat Zydeco, Badeaux & The Louisiana Aces, Boozoo Chavis, and Queen Ida & Her Zydeco Band :D

Our hotel is only a block or two from Preservation Hall, a must visit...