Do you pick a cruise for itinerary or ship?

screamin400

Seeing as I have gotten some folks in here that are regulars I have another question. I am going to do a balcony. Where on the ship would you recommend? Usually I am mid ship on the highest deck I can get on. Am I missing out? I believe most activities are nearer the back but walking with no kids is not a problem. More to the front and up higher? Don't think I am too interested in a aft-view balcony as I do not want to see where we have been as much as where we are going. Thoughts?

We like to be two decks below the pool deck. Directly under the pool deck can be noisy.

We are going on the adventure in Feb. with a very busy itinerary. 5 ports in the Southern Caribbean. We are ready to book the Carnival Dream for the following Feb. as it goes to the rest of the Southern Caribbean. We also took a look at the Oasis class ships. I know there is no comparison of ships but there also in no comparison of itinerary. I wish the Oasis could get a good itinerary. So do you book ship or itinerary? I am leaning toward the itinerary but not sure. Opinions please.

Itinerary...

We like being midship and we always book a room with a balcony.

I see that you are going on the Adventure of the Seas on your next cruise. We really enjoyed the ship and ports of call.

You might enjoy seeing a slideshow my wife made for her website with pictures she took of our room, around the ship, and our shore excursions. I'll insert a link below.

Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruise

Happy cruising!

Great slide show. Some beautiful beaches on there. Thanks for sharing.

We like being midship and we always book a room with a balcony.

I see that you are going on the Adventure of the Seas on your next cruise. We really enjoyed the ship and ports of call.

Ditto on all your comments!

We enjoyed it so much...we did the same cruise on Adventure twice. :)

I'm sorry but that comment is just absurd and wrong.

Having done the Caribbean 15 times in the past 15 years I have no idea where your info comes from. "First Hand Experience" and REAL data show nothing whatsoever like a 20 degree difference from February to May.........:rolleyes:....... See this:

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Weather/stmaarten_weather.html

It is absolutely ridiculous to state that February temperatures in the Caribbean vary on average 20 degrees from those in May. Unless you're talking about the Bahama's maybe, which are more like Florida. Temp's in the REAL Caribbean (St. Martin, Antiqua, Puerto Rico, etc and further south) DO NOT vary by 20 degrees on average. Anything is possible for a few days, but for the most part the Caribbean is in the 80's YEAR ROUND.

Average temperature in the Caribbean does NOT vary 20 degrees. It is pretty much mid-70's to mid-high 80's all the time. Period. Particularly in the Southern Caribbean which is where this thread was in regards to!

Here's some more data:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/33713/Saint-John-s-Antigua-Antigua-And-Barbuda-Antigua-and-Barbuda

Certainly doesn't look like a 20 degree difference. Pretty much warm and nice all year.

Those weather sites are approximations, and certainly don't show you what the exact temp was!

Is the weather temperate year round in the Caribbean, mostly yes! But there are extreme days!

From our first hand experience of years cruising in the Caribbean, the temp can change 20 degrees, easily!

On our last cruise in San Juan in May it was low 90's(hot and sunny at the Forts), and we've seen it in Dec a few years earlier in the low 70's(cool and windy at the Forts)!

And lets not forget the western Caribbean where the temp gets into the mid 90's in summer, and falls into the 70's in winter!

Don't know what you mean, real Caribbean, its either the Caribbean, or not!

Edited by American Bear

We actually booked our upcoming cruise on the Jewel based on cabin availability. The cruise was one of several ships/itineraries that we were considering, and when cabin 9256 with the large balcony became available that was the decision maker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our last two cruises were to the Med and were based on the itinerary. After those port intensive cruises, where we had little time to enjoy the ship or relaxation, we decided on a Caribbean cruise and we chose to repeat on a ship and an itinerary. We're taking my Grandson and a friend of his, who will both have just turned 21 and will be on summer break from college. They couldn't care less about the itinerary as long as there is a pool, a bar and girls lounging out by the pool. We've been to the ports of call more than once so we don't feel compelled to book any excursions or to get off to an early start in the mornings. We can relax, enjoy the amenities on the ship, indulge in a spa treatment, and browse a few shops in a couple of the ports that are a quick, inexpensive taxi from the dock. We got a good price by booking early and the prices have done nothing but skyrocket since then. We wouldn't be booking it at the prices they have right now.

The last two years or so our priorities have been price per night, then ship, with itinerary falling into a distant third. Truthfully the most important factor for us is value, so each line we have sailed has a different threshold of what we consider is a comfortable price per night. We're also not tied to a specific class of stateroom other than we really don't care for oceanview rooms and don't find them worth a premium over inside. Balconies are great but usually we'll pick cruising more often instead.

We have done one balcony and one ocean view. I do not find them comparable but if it made the difference in going on one cruise or two I think I could stay in the laundry room if I had to. We can only do one cruise a year so have to really think out the process.

"It depends". Sometimes we want an affordable getaway, other times we want to do a bigger vacation to see new places, sometimes we don't care at all. Itinerary trumps ship; but with similar itineraries and prices it then comes down to ship.

Had a cruise meeting yesterday with our other cruise couple and they want to do a big ship. I thought we were all set with the breeze. May cruise without them in 2016.

Tough to get everyone to agree sometimes.

4 Of my last 5 cruises were chosen for the ship - specifically Oasis class. The other being chosen for it's timing and port of departure.

That's going to change though after this last cruise on Allure. Ports of call will again become the 1st factor when considering a ship. And until my daughter starts school, I can still sail during the "off-months".

Well things have changed. I sit here banging my head on the desk to see it I could make my headache worse and I could not. Look like we will be doing the Oasis in Feb. 2016. This year is a hectic cruise with 5 ports in 7 days so my DW likes a little slower pace. If I am going to be on a slower pace I want it to be on an unbelievable ship. The other couple that go with us have already decided they want to do the big ship as it has been on their bucket list. I have a courtesy hold on a room until the fog in my brain clears. Tomorrow I am sure I will have changed things. Stay tuned.

Well I booked the Oasis this morning. Hope I did the right thing. Looks like a great ship and an itinerary I can live with.

Congratulations!

You'll love the ship and all it has to offer. Most likely, you'll be "Wowed" once you see it for the first time close up and get onboard to see its many attractions.

Enjoy your cruise!