Ships Tour

seamwoman

Go to the passenger services desk on embarkation and ask to sign up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. They only take about 12 people on the tour so you might not get the tour even if you sign up. I believe it is first come first serve. On the other hand, If not enough people sign up, they might also cancel the tour.

Go to the passenger services desk on embarkation and ask to sign up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. They only take about 12 people on the tour so you might not get the tour even if you sign up. I believe it is first come first serve. On the other hand, If not enough people sign up, they might also cancel the tour.

It will cost $150 but includes a robe, a chef's jacket, a personalized notepad, and some photos.

During the cruise there is usually a tour backstage and the kitchen but nothing as extensive as the Ultimate Tour. It visits the bridge and the crew deck.

Edited by denmarks

Best $150.00 I've spent. The total tour took 4 hours. I love touring the baking of fresh bread, the smell was the best. Only place they did not take us was to see the engine room and the screws. I'm doing it again on another ship.:D

It will cost $150 but includes a robe, a chef's jacket, a personalized notepad, and some photos.

During the cruise there is usually a tour backstage and the kitchen but nothing as extensive as the Ultimate Tour. It visits the bridge and the crew deck.

That tour was previously offered as three separate tours.

Bridge, engine room and kitchen.

There was no charge

I was just off the Royal in Oct and they took 20 of us!

Thanks for the info. We are thinking of signing up for the tour on our upcoming Christmas cruise and it is good to know they will sometimes exceed the 12 person limit if there is a lot of interest. How strenuous is the tour? We have someone elderly in our party. She can walk on her own but standing for 3 hours would not be possible for her. Are there any opportunities to sit on this tour? If so, for how long? Is there a lot of stair climbing or can you take the elevators? Any details would be helpful.

Edited by Princess Patches

Thanks for the info. We are thinking of signing up for the tour on our upcoming Christmas cruise and it is good to know they will sometimes exceed the 12 person limit if there is a lot of interest. How strenuous is the tour? We have someone elderly in our party. She can walk on her own but standing for 3 hours would not be possible for her. Are there any opportunities to sit on this tour? If so, for how long? Is there a lot of stair climbing or can you take the elevators? Any details would be helpful.

I have done this tour on the Ruby and the Golden. I think we stood or walked for the entire tour. There are also lots of steps, and even some ladders.

That's way too big a group. How can 20 people possibly fit into the various spaces and see everything as it's being described/discussed? How can 20 people all get their questions answered? I wouldn't have been pleased at all with such an experience; I can't imagine it was worth $150 to shuffle around in a giant crowd like that.

20 is larger than usual. Typically capped at 12.

It would definitely be a tight fit in the butcher shop area.

My guess is someone screamed about being left off and do you know who I am, etc, and they made an unwise exception.

That's way too big a group. How can 20 people possibly fit into the various spaces and see everything as it's being described/discussed? How can 20 people all get their questions answered? I wouldn't have been pleased at all with such an experience; I can't imagine it was worth $150 to shuffle around in a giant crowd like that.

20 is larger than usual. Typically capped at 12.

It would definitely be a tight fit in the butcher shop area.

My guess is someone screamed about being left off and do you know who I am, etc, and they made an unwise exception.

When we signed up, we were numbers 15 and 16 and I assure you we did not scream to get to go on the tour. Honestly, the only place that felt crowded was the bakery where they make the rolls. Everywhere else was fine! Everyone's questions got answered and everyone enjoyed the tour. It was fantastic. Maybe they take more on the Royal because the spaces are bigger.

Huh. I know they hard capped ours at 14 or at least thats what they told us at signup (cap was 12, but if a group wanted it at the end they would go to 14), so they must have had some reason to change. Maybe they just realized they could do bigger. Weren't you tight in the butcher shop and photo lab?

When we signed up, we were numbers 15 and 16 and I assure you we did not scream to get to go on the tour. Honestly, the only place that felt crowded was the bakery where they make the rolls. Everywhere else was fine! Everyone's questions got answered and everyone enjoyed the tour. It was fantastic. Maybe they take more on the Royal because the spaces are bigger.

This is something we want to try on one of our South America cruise this coming spring. We have lots of OBC as well as free gratuities so it would be a good time to give it a try. The only problem is that I am sure a lot of other people will be in the same boat (no pun intended) so it may be tough to get on the tour. I wonder if they will let us sign up for the tour on the second half of our 31 day cruise when we board for the first half, although I know a lot of folks booked it as a 31 day cruise whereas we booked it as a 17 and a 14 to maximize our OBC.

Between my husband and myself, we've taken the Ultimate Tour on several different Princess ships in the past 6 years. Only on the first one did we get the Chef's jacket. On all of the others (most recent 4 weeks ago) we've received a Princess apron from the kitchen part of the tour. The Laundry is interesting and the fluffy robe comes from them. The print shop gives you a personalized note pad. The photo lab gives you an 8x10 frame and all the photographs taken on the tour. You will see the Engine Control room (no one gets into the actual engine room anymore), the forward anchor locker (huge room with lines, chains, anchors), the backstage theater area, the medical center (unless they are very busy or have contagious patients), crew area including butcher shop, food storage areas and the Bridge where you will meet the Capt. for pictures and his staff will answer all your questions about running the ship. Champagne and other beverages are provided. On one ship I was even able to climb up into the Funnel area..very interesting. I think that every once in awhile, a particular ship will try to show you something a little special about their ship.. The Royal Princess has so many special areas, I'm sure they will try to offer you something out of the ordinary tour. :D

On a cruise that long, if there is enough interest, they may also do it twice...

This is something we want to try on one of our South America cruise this coming spring. We have lots of OBC as well as free gratuities so it would be a good time to give it a try. The only problem is that I am sure a lot of other people will be in the same boat (no pun intended) so it may be tough to get on the tour. I wonder if they will let us sign up for the tour on the second half of our 31 day cruise when we board for the first half, although I know a lot of folks booked it as a 31 day cruise whereas we booked it as a 17 and a 14 to maximize our OBC.

Sign up at the customer service desk as soon as you get on board. Since they take only 12 on the tour get your name on the list as soon as possible. If you have problems navigating stairways they will not let you go. When I took it on the Coral they would not let walkers or scooter on the tour. Its a great tour. I plan on taking it again some day.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska

Island Princess (B2B) 2009 Alaska

Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess 2012 Alaska

Island Princess 2013 Alaska

Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 New England

Future Cruises