Bistro on 5 Question

likestorelax

How does the cover charge work for the Bistro on 5. Do you pay one price and get to order anything or is it per item you order?

The cover charge ($7.00pp) is a flat rate, you can order as much as you like, they have great soups, salads, Panini and Crepes....

The problem is that it's tough to eat everything they offer you. I guess a lot of people do since they upped the cover charge by 40%, but I can't eat soup, salad, entree, and dessert. They are very filling.

That said, I'd likely still pay the $7 since the food is so delicious and a nice change of pace from regular cruise food, but I think the price increase was a bit steep. Like I said, maybe most people can eat more than I can and it was getting too expensive for them. Or, maybe most people will just pay more so they are charging more and get away with it. Still... it's yummy stuff.

Tom

Do they have items for someone who avoids gluten, dairy, and must avoid nuts (the edible kind)?

I know they have Gluten free not sure of the rest. .ask before yuo walk in. .funnny the upped the cost and i never seen it busy. i do a crepe and dessert and rolll out..

beats the busy buffet and other places- open the day you get on board and quiet for lunch

We love Bistro on 5

They have in the past have had a more than adequate menu (Soups, Salads, Sandwiches & Crepes... Savory or Sweet). Evidently they recently have expanded their Menu to add some Plated Entrees... Looking forward to checking out the NEW Menu items

Although cannot complain about the old menu... Crepes in partcular are good round the clock, and Bistro on 5 is open long hours (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night). Well worth the extra expense.

Cheers!

Do they have items for someone who avoids gluten, dairy, and must avoid nuts (the edible kind)?

They will make gluten free crepes on reqest. There may be a little wait. I usually let my server know I will be ordering a gf crepe when I am seated.

I do not think itwould be difficult to have them omit the nuts and dairy. The gf options include crepes, salads and sometimes the soup of the day. I sometimes order the savory crepe filling without the crepe and then enjoy the dessert crepe. You should be able to have the French dessert crepe.

We love Bistro on 5

They have in the past have had a more than adequate menu (Soups, Salads, Sandwiches & Crepes... Savory or Sweet). Evidently they recently have expanded their Menu to add some Plated Entrees... Looking forward to checking out the NEW Menu items

Although cannot complain about the old menu... Crepes in partcular are good round the clock, and Bistro on 5 is open long hours (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night). Well worth the extra expense.

Cheers!

No new menu on Eclipse in October! I think what you are referring to is the trial menu on Summit earlier this year which does not appear to be coming to the fleet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if Bistro on 5 is reserved for Suite passengers for lunch on Embarkation Day? I think in the "New Menu" thread this was mentioned, but I'm wondering if that's fleetwide.

Thanks!

I never heard of that before. It certainly has never been on our cruises. We far prefer it over the crowds at the buffet.

They will make gluten free crepes on reqest. There may be a little wait. I usually let my server know I will be ordering a gf crepe when I am seated.

I do not think itwould be difficult to have them omit the nuts and dairy. The gf options include crepes, salads and sometimes the soup of the day. I sometimes order the savory crepe filling without the crepe and then enjoy the dessert crepe. You should be able to have the French dessert crepe.

Thanks for the info!

No, it is available to anyone, anytime.

Just got off the Equinox TA and we ate there upon embarkation, and at lunch two other times.

They are very good at customizing, too. I just wanted a salad with some croutons and olives - not a chicken breast, tomatoes, etc. etc. They always try and please. Such a relaxing place to sit and enjoy a meal. I would love it if the new menu went fleet wide.

Be sure to save room or at least split the Italian Crepe. It's filled with fresh banana and Nutella, and has caramel and Nutella and whipped cream on the outside.

Favorite main dish crepes? Cajun and Cowboy. We typically get one of each and split them to share.

To piggyback on this topic--

What is the difference between "premium" coffee (included in the classic non-alcohol package @~$16/day) and "specialty" coffee (included only in the premium packages)? I imagine something like a Frappucino or whatever the equivalent is onboard would be "specialty," but is a latte a "specialty"? Can one just get a cup of coffee (presumably "premium")?

This is our first time on Celebrity, so I don't know how bad the "non-premium" coffee will be. Our experience on Royal was that it was truly, truly undrinkable and we are by no means coffee snobs. I imagined it was intended to drive business to their onboard Starbucks outlet, but I don't care for that coffee either.

Does anyone know if Bistro on 5 is reserved for Suite passengers for lunch on Embarkation Day? I think in the "New Menu" thread this was mentioned, but I'm wondering if that's fleetwide.

Thanks!

Don't think so - we ate there for lunch on embarkation day onboard Solstice recently on our Hawaii/Sydney cruise. Got the tip to do that as a little quieter than the Buffett right her on C.C.!! And it was heaps quieter, great introduction to the awesome food and service available on board.

Like others mentioned the $7 surcharge covers anything you want and they are more than happy to make sure you get your moneys worth. After 3 courses they were still asking if they could get anything else for us lol - and that didn't included dessert!! On our 2nd visit, finally got to try dessert (after soup, salad and a panini lol) and had the Dulce de Leche crepe. OMG it was sooo good!

Through the cruise it did get some patronage but was never busy, which I liked as you got extra special personalised service (as if it could get any better !!)

I would like to try it for breakfast, but we enjoyed the Buffett for breakfast so it wasn't worth the $7 for us in that instance. Maybe next cruise :p

No, it is available to anyone, anytime.

Just got off the Equinox TA and we ate there upon embarkation, and at lunch two other times.

They are very good at customizing, too. I just wanted a salad with some croutons and olives - not a chicken breast, tomatoes, etc. etc. They always try and please. Such a relaxing place to sit and enjoy a meal. I would love it if the new menu went fleet wide.

Be sure to save room or at least split the Italian Crepe. It's filled with fresh banana and Nutella, and has caramel and Nutella and whipped cream on the outside.

Favorite main dish crepes? Cajun and Cowboy. We typically get one of each and split them to share.

Agree!! The Cowboy crepe is amazing!! Salads have been fresh. And I had that dessert crepe upon the urging of my server. It was really good!!!

The problem is that it's tough to eat everything they offer you. I guess a lot of people do since they upped the cover charge by 40%, but I can't eat soup, salad, entree, and dessert. They are very filling.

That said, I'd likely still pay the $7 since the food is so delicious and a nice change of pace from regular cruise food, but I think the price increase was a bit steep. Like I said, maybe most people can eat more than I can and it was getting too expensive for them. Or, maybe most people will just pay more so they are charging more and get away with it. Still... it's yummy stuff.

Tom

I thought a 40% increase was a bit much myself. People look at it and say it was only a $2.00 increase which is true, but when you look at it as 40% it seems a bit excessive. That said, we still often go there at least once on our cruises. We thought the food was very good, and love eating there on embarkation day. I had read on these boards that someone experienced it not being open that day (perhaps it was reserved for suites, don't recall), but it sounds like that is not the norm. Hope not - it is a great option when the buffet is so crazy busy.

I thought a 40% increase was a bit much myself. People look at it and say it was only a $2.00 increase which is true, but when you look at it as 40% it seems a bit excessive. That said, we still often go there at least once on our cruises. We thought the food was very good, and love eating there on embarkation day. I had read on these boards that someone experienced it not being open that day (perhaps it was reserved for suites, don't recall), but it sounds like that is not the norm. Hope not - it is a great option when the buffet is so crazy busy.

In real terms the increase is so incrementally minor I don't think it's worth too much analysis! For $7 I think this venue has plenty on offer to support the small surcharge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In real terms the increase is so incrementally minor I don't think it's worth too much analysis! For $7 I think this venue has plenty on offer to support the small surcharge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. A fantastic meal at Bistro on 5 is about the same price as a Big Mac, fries and drink at McDonalds. Good grief! Some people seem to want to complain about everything.

:D

I agree. A fantastic meal at Bistro on 5 is about the same price as a Big Mac, fries and drink at McDonalds. Good grief! Some people seem to want to complain about everything.

It's cheaper than a Big Mac fries and drink here in Scotland, I think it's a bargain :D

Looking forward to trying the crepes! Great to know they have GF crepes, also!:D