Early Saver, Sold out cabin category... whats the point?

Beth C

I've searched and read posts and can't come up with a concrete answer :( Here's my scenario:

Interior Accessible 4J cabin for 3 booked with early saver

Sold out since we booked (I think they moved someone who didn't need accessible out of the cabin at the time)

Since it's an accessible for 3 we can't just move to another interior. I know early saver says "same category" you can get the drops but since we have no options unless someone in one of the other couple of interiors for 3+ cancel and I magically happen to catch it for a drop... :(

Has anyone in a similar situation been able to get an OBC since they are unable to be moved? i.e. current pricing for a cove balcony the month prior to our cruise are pricing at about $150 less than our interior & oceanview at $200 less. If the same thing happens for our cruise are we stuck paying the higher price we're at just because they can't accommodate us? If so what's the point of early saver?

In your case, the point of Early Saver was that you got the cheapest price possible when you booked it. Any other rate would have been higher, so you saved money. You didn't save any after booking; all your savings came at the time of booking.

That has happened to me before too, most recently on last week's cruise. With only 6 "Porthole" category rooms on the Splendor, we never saw a price drop, because the category remained sold out the entire time leading up to the cruise. However, if we would have booked that porthole room at any other rate, it would have been $80 more. So we saved $80 by using Early Saver, not in price drops or OBC. Instead, the savings came at the time that it was booked.

I have, on several different cruises, asked for OBC/price drops when a category above mine drops to cheaper than what we've got. Every single time, I'm told no. They tell me that I would have to upgrade to that category to get the lower price, but I never want to take the "upgrade". My room is always better than the ones they consider to be an upgrade. Some people have reported getting to keep their room and match the price to a higher category. This is a clear violation of Carnival's own rules, but they have done it for some people. Just not me. You could try. But if it doesn't work, then the answer to your question is simply that your savings on Early Saver came at the moment you booked it. You are the true Early Saver winner! Anyone who gets price drops or OBC with Early Saver are not winners; they are the break-even-ers (making up words here :)).

This is the problem with booking ES.. Don't do it on a limited cabin category expecting to get price reductions later. MOST likely the category sells out before you see any additional savings. Sometimes it happens (like right before final payment dates some people drop out of the cruise and free up a cabin) But in most cases people who get these special category rooms don't drop their bookings. Certainly book ES to save money up front, but don't expect a reduction later. If it happens it is just extra gravy...

7201, 7204, and 7206 are 4J's that are still available for your cruise.

However, these rooms only sleep 2 people. When you price match using Early Saver, they are not allowing you to price match to these rooms in your category ? I thought for Early Saver you only had to use rooms in your category for matching. Or, are they not allowing you to price match because they cannot price out 3 people, so cannot figure out what the matching fare would be ???

I bookes a 9B for 3 people with ES and it's been sold out for months. The point of booking ES is I paid over $250 less than whoever booked the last 9B on this trip. He's not getting any drops and neither am I, but I'm still up $250 over that guy. :cool:

I rarely booked ES simply because I don't like the restrictions. And sometimes (like my upcoming Freedom cruise), I booked under a special offer that is even less than ES.

As others have stated, ES isn't simply about price drops. It is typically the lowest price to start (but you have to deal with the restrictions).

And sometimes, prices don't drop at all. So, in the end, you've gotten your cabin at the lowest possible price. What's to complain about?

If I'm not comfortable paying the existing fare when I book, I just don't book. I never rely on price drops.

Is it "fair" that others booking last-minute can book at lower prices? Sure. It's supply and demand. I can rarely book last minute because of work demands, but I don't begrudge those who can and get good deals!

Thanks for the replies, I was just hoping that maybe someone had been successful in getting the drop due to the handicapped need. We wanted just a regular accessible interior but unfortunately there were none available in the lower range so they put us in the 4J.

Theoretically based on the cabin hierarchy, if there were 4J interiors for 3 cabin available it should currently be priced lower than a deluxe oceanview for 3 which is coming up today at $1 less than what we paid for the interior.

Our groups other cabin booked on ES (regular interior) so far has received $140 in price drops, upgraded from deck 2 to 8 AND a $100 obc which is great it just stinks that we can't get anything on the accessible because we can't just upgrade to any of those deluxe oceanview cabins.

I'm not complaining - we're still going for a great price... just trying to see if there's any real benefit in the ES for an accessible cabin which I don't think there is... BUT pretty much have to book far enough out to secure an accessible cabin which happens to be in the ES time frame... Rock... ME... Hard place LOL

Edited by Beth C

I too booked a limited availability 9B (actually the last one). Once the cabin category is sold out there is nothing to match to so I am fully aware I won't see a price drop unless the cabin category opens back up (which is doubtful).

This, as someone else said, is the downside to booking Early Saver with "special" cabin categories that book quickly and fully. You kind of lock yourself in with not much room for price drops.

Comparing the price you paid for the "special" cabin to others of different category that drop in price can be frustrating when you might be able to get a higher cabin category for less than you are paying for the lower one. Again, this is the risk run when that "special" cabin is the one you really want/need.

Our groups other cabin booked on ES (regular interior) so far has received $140 in price drops, upgraded from deck 2 to 8 AND a $100 obc which is great it just stinks that we can't get anything on the accessible because we can't just upgrade to any of those deluxe oceanview cabins.

How did they get to go from Deck 2 to Deck 8? Don't you have to match to the same category?

This is the problem with booking ES.. Don't do it on a limited cabin category expecting to get price reductions later. MOST likely the category sells out before you see any additional savings. Sometimes it happens (like right before final payment dates some people drop out of the cruise and free up a cabin) But in most cases people who get these special category rooms don't drop their bookings. Certainly book ES to save money up front, but don't expect a reduction later. If it happens it is just extra gravy...

I book ES all the time so I am locked to that price. In October of 2014 I go an OBC of $249.00 because the cruise rate when down. But I checked the cruise rates my PVP did not tell me of the change in the cruise rate ,which I did not expect him too.

Gary

How did they get to go from Deck 2 to Deck 8? Don't you have to match to the same category?

This was before final payment... Not sure if that makes a difference? The cost of the deck 8 was actually $10pp more than the deck 2 as booked but this promo included a $50 OBC so $30 net gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always book ES and i always make out like a bandit. I have $100 so far in OBC for my upcoming Valor cruise and will get more. I usually end up with between $150 and $400. The key is to NEVER book a cabin from a small group. If there are only six cabins in a category they will never go down. And don't book A. Book 4C or 8C or higher. There will always be a sale with included upgrades that will cover your cabin. And this is important....always book with a Carnival PVP and they will fill out the forms for you and fight for you. At latest mine will. She's the best and I'll give out the extension if asked.

Most importantly you have to check for a price drop EVERY day.

This was before final payment... Not sure if that makes a difference? The cost of the deck 8 was actually $10pp more than the deck 2 as booked but this promo included a $50 OBC so $30 net gain.

This sounds more like an upgrade than a price drop. Two completely different animals.

Edited by KevInPitt

Thanks for the replies, I was just hoping that maybe someone had been successful in getting the drop due to the handicapped need. We wanted just a regular accessible interior but unfortunately there were none available in the lower range so they put us in the 4J.

Theoretically based on the cabin hierarchy, if there were 4J interiors for 3 cabin available it should currently be priced lower than a deluxe oceanview for 3 which is coming up today at $1 less than what we paid for the interior.

I'm not complaining - we're still going for a great price... just trying to see if there's any real benefit in the ES for an accessible cabin which I don't think there is... BUT pretty much have to book far enough out to secure an accessible cabin which happens to be in the ES time frame... Rock... ME... Hard place LOL

Your room being accessible has nothing to do with it. Per the rules of ES, you should be looking to price match any 4J that accommodates 3 people. The upgrade that your pal received is a bending of the rules that really isn't supposed to be allowed.

Taking Carnival's point of view, it's a supply and demand situation.

If there are few 4J's that hold 3 folks (very low supply), the price will most likely be (and remain) higher.

If there are a ton of 4E's (large supply), the price is way more likely to drop.

I've had anywhere from $20 to $700 ($700 on last cruise, 10/25/2014) in OBC due to price drops, but like others have said, you better be happy with the price you pay at the start, and not rely on price drops.

Seems the prices have been lower lately, which one can guess the reasons, but underlying it would seem to be a lower demand overall.

GP

The cabin being accessible actually has a lot to do with it... There's so few on the ship overall ie 2 balconies total and only 1 suite so the odds of getting one in either of those categories even on release day are pretty slim let alone on day 2 or 400 :(.

For our regular cabin I submitted the price protection and clicked upgrade and they moved it and also put the obc promo on which I didn't realize was even an option at the time so guess we got lucky on that one!

I share everyone's sentiments about the situation. I booked ES for a Spa Suite on the Sunshine. There are only three of these rooms on this ship, and I booked the last one. I have had a lot of problems. They have offered many sales since I booked with lower rates, and OBC. I submit the stupid form, and always get denied, because there is no price available for my category. When I call and explain that I only want the OBC they're offering, they still deny me. It is like pulling teeth! I finally called today, asked to talk to a supervisor, and threatened to cancel my cruise to take advantage of the $100 OBC under the Exclusive PAST GUEST Sale. They really need to rethink this dumb system. Or at least create a system that would be able to generate rates for categories that are sold out. Something needs to be done.

They really need to rethink this dumb system. Or at least create a system that would be able to generate rates for categories that are sold out. Something needs to be done.

Why should they generate rates for cabins they no longer have???? The rates are there to SELL cabins (I'm sure you're aware of that).

If a category is sold out, how can its price drop?

Some of you want a special cabin PLUS the possibility of price drops. Not realistic....

Currently we have 3 cabins booked. The grand scenic oceanview was sold out the minute I booked it since there are only two cabins like that on the ship - each with different capacity limits. So there's zero chance of getting a price drop. But hopefully we will see drops on the regular balcony and the inside. There is no point in booking early saver with a category that limited unless it's considerably cheaper than other rates at booking. For us it was. I booked early enough to get the exact cabin I wanted at the lowest rate available at the time. Works for me.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Interior Accessible 4J cabin for 3 booked with early saver Sold out since we booked (I think they moved someone who didn't need accessible out of the cabin at the time)

Since it's an accessible for 3 we can't just move to another interior.

Does someone in your party require an accessible room, or are you booked in this category simply because you were looking for a cabin for 3?

I am sensing you do need accessibility, but am not 100% sure.

If you do require the room due to an accessibility issue, you may have a legitimate case under ADA requirements. I'm not sure if the ADA impacts cruise lines the same as hotels. If you do have an accessibility issue, you may want to email Carnival and point out the limitations they are putting on you as a person with disabilities.

I know there have been lawsuits filed against Carnival and other cruise lines to determine if they are governed by the ADA, but I don't know the results. Pricing was one of the issues listed in at least one lawsuit.

While I understand how others feel about being in a similar situation when booking certain cabin types, it is not the same. Carnival is providing a limited numbers of cabins capable of meeting your needs, and then offering pricing terms that are discriminatory against you on that basis.

I think you have a valid point, specific to accessible cabins and passengers with special needs.

Has anyone in a similar situation been able to get an OBC since they are unable to be moved? i.e. current pricing for a cove balcony the month prior to our cruise are pricing at about $150 less than our interior & oceanview at $200 less. If the same thing happens for our cruise are we stuck paying the higher price we're at just because they can't accommodate us? If so what's the point of early saver?

Aft balcony sold out for months then suddenly a few weeks before sailing a few opened up, got 3 price drops totaling $244.