On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

OH NO! Sailor Jack has a new review, and I only discovered it at 10:36pm. Well, guess I'm awake for awhile longer :D

I read the title and immediately thought "wait, is it..it can't be..SailorJack. It IS! YAY!!"

OK, back to the start to read, I know it will be great!

Well, you found it long after I had gone to bed!:D Sorry to keep you up.:) Hope you found it enjoyable after all that.

Jack

Happy Thanksgiving to all. For those that had to travel, I hope everyone make it safely and on time.

Edited by SailorJack

I originally started to read this because I will be on the Crown on December 6, 2014. I thought to myself well any review will mention the ship. I started reading it and completely forgot why I had started. You have a great way with words. I felt like I was there. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures even though I won't be going to any of those places.

Thanks for the laughs. I really loved reading it.

Candi

Some of our best friends will be on the Crown on December 6! They are actually getting on Saturday and doing two back to backs.

Well, you found it long after I had gone to bed!:D Sorry to keep you up.:) Hope you found it enjoyable after all that.

Jack

Happy Thanksgiving to all. For those that had to travel, I hope everyone make it safely and on time.

It was just as enjoyable as I have come to expect from your reviews. I was happy to stay up late and wake late for work :) Not to wish myself 25 years older and retired, but I really wish I had the ability to take these longer and semi-more exotic cruises. I loved it!

Loved the review Sailor Jack. Now I really want to do this cruise! Had to stop and read the parts to my hubby when I was laughing out loud.

I can only envision the hula dancing screen top saver also as one of those car ornaments for your dashboard.

Can't wait for the pictures.

I originally started to read this because I will be on the Crown on December 6, 2014. I thought to myself well any review will mention the ship. I started reading it and completely forgot why I had started. You have a great way with words. I felt like I was there. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures even though I won't be going to any of those places.

Thanks for the laughs. I really loved reading it.

Candi

Glad you enjoyed it...but as you noticed I rarely talk about the ship because almost everything is so subjective - food, service, amenities, etc. But I can tell you that the ship is in very good shape. Deck 16 is starting to show its age (nothing of great import) and I understand that it is going into dry dock in a few months. I know you will enjoy your time onboard!

Loved the review Sailor Jack. Now I really want to do this cruise! Had to stop and read the parts to my hubby when I was laughing out loud.

I can only envision the hula dancing screen top saver also as one of those car ornaments for your dashboard.

Can't wait for the pictures.

It is a great cruise...wonderful itinerary but you need to love sea days. The South Sea islands are what make this cruise however.

I hadn't even thought about the dashboard dancing girl!! What a great idea.:D

Thank you Sailor Jack , you made my day. When I saw a new Sailor Jack review I knew it was going to be good.

Cori

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope it lived up to your expectations.:)

I enjoyed your review. I have been going back and forth over taking this cruise. For one I was concerned over the number of day, especially those at sea, but it sounds like you did feel it was to long. Can you tell me about the weather and the seas? Can you comment on the shape of the Crown and what kind of cabin you had? One last question is about the dining, is there anytime dining? Sorry for so many questions, but any information on the ship and sailing would be appreciated.

I enjoyed your review. I have been going back and forth over taking this cruise. For one I was concerned over the number of day, especially those at sea, but it sounds like you did feel it was to long. Can you tell me about the weather and the seas? Can you comment on the shape of the Crown and what kind of cabin you had? One last question is about the dining, is there anytime dining? Sorry for so many questions, but any information on the ship and sailing would be appreciated.

Hey meh56, if you decide to take the cruise, we have a great crowd already booked for Oct 17, 2015! We would love to have you join us if you choose! :)

We have a Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44867826&posted=1#post44867826

And we have a Shutterfly site: https://oct2015crownprincesshawaiitahiti.shutterfly.com/

Come on over and check us out! :confused:

Really we are pretty good people! :eek: :rolleyes:

At least I think so! :D

Just Mike!

Overall, this is probably one of the best itineraries we have ever taken. You get to see 8 different islands - all of them beautiful and with slightly different cultures. As I think I mentioned before, we met many people who have done this exact same cruise multiple times. One lady was doing it for the fourth time. Her husband had recently passed and this fourth cruise was in memory of her husband. At each island she would remember what they had shared at that island.

The seas were calm for the entire trip. While I did see some people with the patches behind their ears I did not hear of anyone suffering ill effects. At times there were some noticeable movement of the ship, but it was negligible. Seas were never a problem for us. The weather was outstanding. Temperatures were in the high 70s to low 80s. We had one day of rain in Bora Bora and some overcast days while we were at sea, but other than that it was clear skies.

The ship was in excellent shape - no worries there. As I mentioned before, deck 16 was showing its age. The outdoor carpet was starting to come up and will probably be replaced when the ship goes into dry dock. Other than that, there were no problems whatsoever. The ship ran like the well-oiled machine that it is. We had a balcony cabin on the port side and I personally thought it was the best side. For the ports in which we tied up at the pier, our side almost always faced the pier and we were able to watch the welcoming dancers and musicians from our balcony.

There is Anytime dinning on the ship. One dinning room was exclusively for Anytime and one other dinning room was open for Anytime after 7:30 (as I recall - we never went there). For the first two weeks of the cruise there was always a line starting at 5:00 o'clock, but the line moved fairly quickly. I don't think we ever stood in line for more than 10 minutes. Towards the end of the cruise I think people tended to eat at the buffet and often there was no line at all - even for a table for two. As we tended to dine around 6:00 I don't know about lines later in the evening. Note: you can make reservations for Anytime dinning and there is a separate line for that. That line was always much shorter and moved much more quickly.

For those ports requiring a tender the ship did a great job in getting people ashore quickly. If getting off in a hurry is important, just make sure to get in line for the tender tickets early. The patter will tell you where and when.

As for sea days, we enjoy them. However, the nine sea days it took to get from Tahiti to LA was a bit long. Remember, we had an extra sea day added in because of our emergency trip to Nuka Hiva. I would not have minded a bit if the trip back to LA was about 4 days shorter. :D But if you plan your days well and take advantage of all the activities offered by the ship and by members of the roll call you really enjoy the sea days.

Members of our roll call sponsored almost the same amount of activities as the ship.:) There were daily bridge, mahjong, crafts, etc. activities that were actively attended. I am sure the same will be true for the roll call for next year.

The ship has a well stocked library and I think it was the most actively used one that we have seen. So lots of reading material to read up on deck if you go through the books you brought with you. We downloaded a bunch of books on our iPads so that was not an issue for us.

I can certainly recommend this itinerary - it was the best we have ever taken. Again, the only caveat is that you must be prepared to enjoy a lot of sea days.

Let me know if you have any other questions - always happy to help.

Jack

Thank you RetiredNTraveling I will visit your links...I appreciate your reply SailorJack, sounds like a good trip...Just going to look at cost...Saw a one way on the Pacific Princess from Tahiti to LA in Nov...concerned that the Pacific Princess is to small...I think by the time you add air one way to Tahiti it will come out about the same and it is a 16 day vs a 28 day.

“Well, how about something more exciting…like ‘Aurora Bora’, Alice?”

LOL! Aurora borealis....Only Sailorjack could work the Northern Lights into a review of a South Seas cruise. Where do you come up with this stuff? :D Looking forward to the pictures.

Thank you RetiredNTraveling I will visit your links...I appreciate your reply SailorJack, sounds like a good trip...Just going to look at cost...Saw a one way on the Pacific Princess from Tahiti to LA in Nov...concerned that the Pacific Princess is to small...I think by the time you add air one way to Tahiti it will come out about the same and it is a 16 day vs a 28 day.

We had also looked at some alternatives. Princess has sailings that leave Tahiti and sail to Hawaii. For us, the only problem was two long air flights. You are right about the costs - they were probably about even. I didn't see the one from Tahiti to LA - that would have eliminated one long flight.

Whichever one you choose, let me wish you a Bon Voyage!:)

Jack

I just love your reviews and this one may have been the best. So looking forward to your pictures. You may have said this and I missed it, but when is your next cruise and to where?

Glad you enjoyed it.:) We have not really picked another cruise yet...we tend to do that at the last minute. That said, we are looking at two possibilities - a California coastal cruise (Jill is from Santa Barbara and it would be fun to pull into port there and surprise her family) and a cruise to the Black Sea. Nothing booked yet - just speculation.

Jack

“Well, how about something more exciting…like ‘Aurora Bora’, Alice?”

LOL! Aurora borealis....Only Sailorjack could work the Northern Lights into a review of a South Seas cruise. Where do you come up with this stuff? :D Looking forward to the pictures.

LOL...glad you found the humor in it. I had fun with Alice in this review.:D

Another fantastic review - thank you Sailor Jack!

I look forward to seeing you pictures.

Glad you enjoyed it. I should have the pictures ready by this week-end - at least the start of them.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

I purchased new equipment just before this cruise so I am sort of experimenting with the new features. These first ones on this page are (except for one) are from my black and white period.

San Pedro is a great place to embark - there is a lot to see and do. The Maritime Museum, the Lane Victory, and the USS Iowa are all within walking distance of the hotel.

These first two are of the USS Iowa - a WWII battleship that was the lead battleship in the Iowa Class of battle wagons. Here is one of its 16 inch guns - capable of firing 2,700 lb armor-piercing shells 23 miles. Admission to the ship was $2 (Veteran rate) When we boarded I was asked if I was a veteran and what branch of service I had been in. Then, about 10 minutes later the ship's speakers announced, "The Iowa welcomes Sailorjack, US Army." Very cool!

DSC_0038.jpg

The ship as seen from the shore.

DSC_0049.jpg

The entrance to the Iowa as seen from the quarter deck.

DSC_0051.jpg

As we sailed away from the pier, we passed the Ports of Call restaurant - a very nice place to eat if you are staying in San Pedro. It is also a short walk from the hotel. As we passed, the restaurant wished us a Bon Voyage and the people in the restaurant clapped and waved. Also very cool.

DSC_0058.jpg

The Lane Victory. It is a Victory Class cargo ship from WWII and actually offers day trips. Another cool thing to do in San Pedro. It has several very interesting museums in the cargo holds and admission was $5.00.

DSC_0061.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Our Meet and Greet was held on our second sea day (I think) and was well attended by members of the ship's company. These first two shots are of our Captain, Justin Lawes. He was the most visible Captain we have had and spent a lot of time just walking around the ship and talking to people. We saw him around the pool, in the Horizon Court, various lounges and up on Deck 16. A very personable individual with a lot of humorous tales to tell.

PA200005.jpg

PA200006.jpg

The Cruise Director and members of his stall also attended. This is a photo of the Cruise Director. I think his name was Billy Highgate (I could be wrong) and while he was not as visable to us as the Captain he did have some good jokes to tell introducing the nightly acts at the Princess Theatre.

PA200007.jpg

After 5 days at sea our first stop on the cruise was at Hilo, Hawaii. These first two pictures are of our approach to the harbor.

Donsvariouspics1222.jpg

Donsvariouspics1223.jpg

We signed up for a tour of the island and before we could get out of town we drove by a shop that obviously drew my attention. Despite my protestations, the driver refused to stop at this very intriguing institution. Lord knows I could use a bit of body modification!

DSC_0082.jpg

This long stone, in front of the Library, is actually an important artifact in Hawaiian culture. According to legend, whoever could lift this 2 1/2 ton stone would rise to conquer and unite the Hawaiian islands. According to legend, King Kamehameha lifted the stone in 1789 and did, indeed, go on to unite the islands.

DSC_0083.jpg

Our first official stop was at Rainbow Falls. It is a pretty setting, but we felt that Akaka Falls (which we saw later) was more impressive.

DSC_0086.jpg