On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

I cannot even imagine what type of flight you are on. Our Summer home is 2 hours from Montreal and did you know they do have a direct flight from Montreal to LAX? I take that flight to see my daughter in LA....OMG what a nightmare to go via Atlanta???? the luxury stopped at the airport

Not my choice ...Oceanias ..I paid deviation but got stuck with this going coming baclk straight to Yul

Somehow loads of pax going thru Atlanta

The new camera I bought just before this cruise can take underwater pictures, so here are some shots of just why Hanauma Bay is such a great place for snorkelers.

Are all your pics from your new camera? What kind of camera is your new camera? I am really enjoying your pics, thank you :)

The new camera I bought just before this cruise can take underwater pictures, so here are some shots of just why Hanauma Bay is such a great place for snorkelers.

Hey Sailor Jack. What kind of UW Camera did you get? I am in the market for one for our 28 Day cruise! By the way great Pictures!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I cannot even imagine what type of flight you are on. Our Summer home is 2 hours from Montreal and did you know they do have a direct flight from Montreal to LAX? I take that flight to see my daughter in LA....OMG what a nightmare to go via Atlanta???? the luxury stopped at the airport

As a resident of Atlanta, I take official umbrage at your impression of our fine airport!:D

Jack

Hey Sir Sailor Jack

We landed in pea soup fog in your fair city ...pray we can leave for LAX without too much problem .....did you move to London or did your city adopt its weather ???

Fog in Atlanta? It must be a rare temperature inversion caused by in influx from Canada. Hopefully it was a temporary situation and you are now on the way to Tahiti.:)

Jack

I must side with Sailor Jack. I've visited most airports in the U.S. and Canada, and many internationally, and while Hartsfield can seem a bit unwieldy if changing airlines (but many larger airports do when doing that) I must say the dining options there are better than many airports. And it's nice that they're not all concentrated in the main terminal like some airports.

And many times delays in Atlanta are caused more by flight delays from and to Atlanta and not by Atlanta itself.

But then again there are the Falcons... Sorry... :- )

Are all your pics from your new camera? What kind of camera is your new camera? I am really enjoying your pics, thank you :)

My main camera now (which I got just before we left for this cruise) is a Nikon D7100. I replaced my older Nikon D40 with it. It is an amazing camera and I am still learning how to use it. I use a variety of different lenses with it - telephoto, Ultra Wide Angle, and a regular 18-55mm lens.

I purchased the Olympus Tough TG-3 (also just before we left) for underwater photography.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Hey Sailor Jack. What kind of UW Camera did you get? I am in the market for one for our 28 Day cruise! By the way great Pictures!

Just Mike

Glad you are enjoying the pictures. As I mentioned above, the camera I am using for underwater pictures is the Olympus Tough TG-3. It is a great little compact camera that has lived up to all the reviews I read about it. It has Wi-Fi and GPS capability, fits in your pocket and takes great pictures both below and above water. All of the pictures we took of Hanauma Bay, McGarrett's house, etc. were taken with the Olympus so you can see the quality is great both in and out of water.

I got mine for $299 and it came with a battery charger, case, safety strap, and memory card. It comes in two colors - black and red. I got mine in red because I am such a clutch. I figured if I dropped it in the ocean the red color would stick out more than black on the sea floor.:eek: However, the safety strap fits over the wrist and pretty much eliminates the danger of dropping it - unless you are me.:)

Look it up on the net - there are plenty of reviews about it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jack

I must side with Sailor Jack. I've visited most airports in the U.S. and Canada, and many internationally, and while Hartsfield can seem a bit unwieldy if changing airlines (but many larger airports do when doing that) I must say the dining options there are better than many airports. And it's nice that they're not all concentrated in the main terminal like some airports.

And many times delays in Atlanta are caused more by flight delays from and to Atlanta and not by Atlanta itself.

But then again there are the Falcons... Sorry... :- )

Brian, I was really appreciating your support on this issue until I got to the Atlanta Falcons discussion!:)

Thanks Sailor Jack for the Olympus info. I've just started to look for a good but not over the top underwater / on land camera for our Fall 2015 FP cruise and OWB trip. I'll definitely look into the one you described.

Thanks! Brian

It is a great little camera for a really decent price. I think it is Olympus's newest camera in this genre - replacing the older TG-2. At least it didn't "drown as described above by Michele.:D

Your photos are wonderful, and now I'm sorry I didn't buy an underwater camera since we experienced great snorkeling in so many places.

Loving this.

Joanie

Thanks. We have been avid scuba divers and snorkelers for many years and I am kicking myself for not buying an underwater camera sooner. So many wasted opportunities! Oh well. it is never to late to start.

Jack

Sailor Jack, keep the pictures coming! ~ I liked the Neon Blue and my DW really the Black with Blue Lips. She thinks that it was advertising for Kisses!Just us Betty & Mike

LOL. Glad you are enjoying them. I wasn't going to put up any more photos from Hanauma, but here are just a couple of more.

PA2401482.jpg

PA240169.jpg

PA2401702.jpg

And just to show that there is more to see in Hanauma than fish:

PA240146.jpg

Next up - Nawiliwili

Nawiliwili, Kauai is the third Hawaiian Island we visited, and is home to Waimea Canyon, which is a "must see" on this island.

This is our first view of the island as we approached the harbor early in the morning.

DSC_0173.jpg

OK, I got artsy again (sorry) - same shot as above, but with the "effects" button on the camera turned to "on".

DSC_0175.jpg

The harbor is actually pretty small.

DSC_0176.jpg

The breakwater for the harbor.

DSC_0178.jpg

We get a tug assist in the docking process.

DSC_0179.jpg

Sailor Jack, Kauai was our favorite island! It was so peaceful and beautifully unspoiled. When docking, one of the tugs got bored and while waiting to work began to do a little dance for us and everyone was whistling and cheering for him! We took the Wings Over Kauai flight and it was so great! I took over 100 pictures on the flight! I am sure that I missed things try to take the next picture after picture. Thanks for sharing with us!

Sailor Jack, Kauai was our favorite island! It was so peaceful and beautifully unspoiled. When docking, one of the tugs got bored and while waiting to work began to do a little dance for us and everyone was whistling and cheering for him! We took the Wings Over Kauai flight and it was so great! I took over 100 pictures on the flight! I am sure that I missed things try to take the next picture after picture. Thanks for sharing with us!

I have been in the same situation - so intent on getting the picture I might have overlooked something else.:D Reminds me of the old joke "Well how did you like the Grand Canyon?" "I don't know, I'll have to go home and look at the pictures."

Are you going to publish any of your pictures? Do you an internet picture account/ Would love to see your photos and see how the island looks from the air.

Jack

I have been in the same situation - so intent on getting the picture I might have overlooked something else.:D Reminds me of the old joke "Well how did you like the Grand Canyon?" "I don't know, I'll have to go home and look at the pictures."

Are you going to publish any of your pictures? Do you an internet picture account/ Would love to see your photos and see how the island looks from the air.

Jack

Been there and done that. On our cruise to Can/NE fall of '13, I was in such a hurry to get to a location, I missed my step, fell, scraped knees & Busted my New Camera!

As for posting pictures, I have them on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122061682@N04/sets/

Just Mike