On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

This is the TUI Otua Tupua Tamasese Efi Complex...for short - the Efi building! It is another new building in Apia and holds government offices. There are an amazing number of new structures in town!

DSC_0370.jpg

Just across the street from the Efi building is a huge shopping area/flea market. There is a real maze of aisles and shops inside - and they bargain. We got some really good deals in here. While I didn't notice it at the time I took the photo, you can see the reflection of the Efi building in the rear window of the parked car.

DSC_0372.jpg

Apparently this is the Samoan version of Internet Dating!

DSC_0369.jpg

The busses in Samoa (and several other islands) all have unique names. (Wait to you see the one we were on!). This one is the Queen Poto.

DSC_0364.jpg

Your photos are magnificent!! Is there a way to copy or buy them from you?

My photos were ok, but yours are just beautiful!

Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt my shots are better than yours! You are more than welcome copies if I can figure out how you can get them. I tried downloading them off the CC string, but couldn't get it to work. My computer guru (Jill) is in California this week and I will ask her when she gets back.

Jack

Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt my shots are better than yours! You are more than welcome copies if I can figure out how you can get them. I tried downloading them off the CC string, but couldn't get it to work. My computer guru (Jill) is in California this week and I will ask her when she gets back.

Jack

If you're using Windows, just right click on the photo, then click "Save Picture As" from the list that comes up. You can then save it in whatever pictures folder you have set up on your computer. (Edit: just saw toberman's post that appeared while I was writing mine.)

As so many have said, your photos are spectacular, Jack. I've copied a few, as my camera developed a couple of dark spots (not on the lens, internal to the camera) that show up on all my photos from the second half of this trip!

Edited by Kartgv

This is the entrance to the Samoan Cultural Village (You can see the roofs of the Village in the background). It is located just behind the visitors center on Beach Road. This was one of the best places we visited on the entire trip and it was absolutely free. They put on two shows a day - one at 10:30 (which we went to) and another in the afternoon. This show and demonstration was so good we would have gone again in the PM if we had not signed up for an island tour!

DSC_0375.jpg

This was one of the two main emcees for the program. Here he is explaining the Pe'a or tattoos that he is wearing. The Tatau process (from which we get the word 'tattoo' takes weeks to do over several sessions and is extremely painful. It takes a great commitment to undertake. If someone starts the process and then quits it brings great shame to the entire family. The process covers the entire body between waist and knees. The artwork is amazing and the results as you can see are stunning!

DSC_0394.jpg

This is the second of the two major emcees and here he is making Palusami - a very traditional Samoan food of coconut milk, onions wrapped in a taro leaf and then placed on hot rocks to cook - something we did later in the demonstration.

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

Jack

Thanks Jack!

One of the really great perks of attending this free show is the free lunch that comes after! Here they are wrapping a huge fish in banana leaves. Taro Root will also be served at lunch. The basket of Taro Roots are seen at bottom right.

DSC_0385.jpg

The emcee explains the process of cooking on an Umu (sort of a Polynesian fire pit) and asks for volunteers to help build it. Unfortunately, an old war wound prevented me from hauling the rocks to build the Umu.:)

DSC_0387.jpg

The Umu built at last, wood is placed on top of the rocks and set on fire to heat the stones. If you look to the upper left you can faintly see our ship - that is how close this is to the pier. A very short walk for an outstanding free shore excursion!

DSC_0388.jpg

If you're using Windows, just right click on the photo, then click "Save Picture As" from the list that comes up. You can then save it in whatever pictures folder you have set up on your computer. (Edit: just saw toberman's post that appeared while I was writing mine.)

As so many have said, your photos are spectacular, Jack. I've copied a few, as my camera developed a couple of dark spots (not on the lens, internal to the camera) that show up on all my photos from the second half of this trip!

Re: Downloading Pics.... I just right click on the pic and click "save as" - give it a file name and it loads into my picture album. Easy, peasy.

It works! Thanks. I had been doing a "copy" then "paste" and it wasn't doing it. Thanks so much for your help.

Jack

It works! Thanks. I had been doing a "copy" then "paste" and it wasn't doing it. Thanks so much for your help.

Jack

Such a small thing.. to help someone who has given us all so much over the years. From one Canuck to another - Thank You !

The burning wood heats up the stones.

DSC_0389.jpg

Then all of the charcoal and wood remains are removed from the Umu.

DSC_0390-1.jpg

The Palasumi, fish, and Taro Root are placed on the hot rocks.

DSC_0392-1.jpg

And everything is covered with Banana leaves. Following this we went to the various stations in the village that demonstrated Samoan crafts. By the time we finished the tour the food was cooked and lunch was served.

DSC_0393-1.jpg

And finally, for today:

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

heart.jpg

Jack and Jill

Hey Sailor Jack

Have you been to either New Zealand or Australia .what can you tell me about there ?i am tempted by a return to French Polynesia with south Pacific islands ...a bit of Australia and .new Zealand ....would love to know more

While lunch was cooking we were entertained by some traditional Samoan music.

DSC_0395.jpg

Then a demonstration of making fire without matches ( or a lighter!):) Notice the smile on his face. He was a natural born comedian and could have been a standup comic if he so chose. He was great!

DSC_0398.jpg

Afterwards we visited some stations around the village that demonstrated various Samoan crafts. At this station a number of wood workers were making wood statues, figurines, bowls and other items - of which you could purchase. I am pretty sure that the ancient Samoans did not use a McCulloch chain saw, however.

DSC_0401.jpg

Sailor Jack -

Please remind me what underwater camera you got. We are about to go shopping for a new one in advance of our FP Pacific Princess cruise and love how great all your pictures look!

Of course, I'm sure a lot has to do with your photography skills but... :- )

Thanks!

Such a small thing.. to help someone who has given us all so much over the years. From one Canuck to another - Thank You !

What a nice sentiment...thank you. On another note, I just got an email from Photobucket saying I am about out of free bandwidth. Do you know of any other photo sharing websites?

I just got an email from Photobucket saying I am about out of free bandwidth. Do you know of any other photo sharing websites?
I use Flickr. You get one terabyte of free storage there. And it's easy to add photos to the thread. Edited by Jasperdo

I use Flickr. You get one terabyte of free storage there. And it's easy to add photos to the thread.

I second Jasperdo concerning Flickr. I've never run into issues concerning bandwidth. Just took a look at my stats and my photos have been viewed over 900,000 times... :)

Hey Sailor Jack

Have you been to either New Zealand or Australia .what can you tell me about there ?i am tempted by a return to French Polynesia with south Pacific islands ...a bit of Australia and .new Zealand ....would love to know more

We have visited Australia four times and NZ once. Both are great countries, but we fell in love with Australia and have made great friends there. Jill wants to move there!:) Most cruises that leave from the US to Australia end in Sydney - a magnificent city. So much to do. See an Opera in the Opera House, climb the Coathanger, visit the Blue Mountains, go to the beach in Manly, explore the pubs in The Rocks (especially the Lord Nelson - our favorite!), picnic in the Royal Botanical Gardens - so much to do...so little time!

The other ports are great also. We had a great time in Darwin, SCUBA in Cains, and visited rain forests and zoos.

New Zealand is also a beautiful country - especially the south island.

If you go, plan to spend a few days in Sydney.

We are also planning a return trip to Polynesia - it was one of our favorite cruises. Maybe we will bump into each other.:D

Jack

PS. You can see some pictures of our Australian ports on my Oosterdam report.

Edited by SailorJack

Thanks Im looking at options for next winter ,this year so far we have had a dumdinger of a winter ...and

Ive been back for about 3 weeks ...hate it already ..it has been bitterly cold and ...yikes ...so much snow ...could this be Canada ...gee what a shock .....LOL

I saw an Oceania cruise continuing from French Polynesia to Sydney and New zealand ...going by Fjij etc ...wonderful

Im sure but oh so expensive still ...so Im keeping an eye out for it ..for next Jan /Feb to get away from all this ccccccooooolllld

If you find others let me know ..as much as I hated Oceania service here ...on ship it was mahhhhhhvellous

Michele