On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

you sir, should be a comedian. Thank you for the laugh!

Glad you enjoyed it, but I don't know about the comedian thing.:D:D

Reading a Sailor Jack review has to be the best way to start one's day :D. Thank you for continuing to keep us all laughing and entertained.

Thanks for the kind words. This one was a little longer than my others, but it was the longest cruise we have ever taken.

Again a wonderful review! After reading your previous reviews, I hoped you would take another cruise. How about in 2016 a cruising adventure on the freighter Aranui5 from Papeete to the Marquesas' Islands including Nuku Hiva?

A couple of coincidences...we had actually looked at the Aranui5 cruise two years ago. It looked like a real change from the type of cruises we had been taking. Cannot remember why we didn't go ahead with it.

Also, one of the attractions of the Aranui5 cruise was that it stopped at Nuku Hiva. We thought it would be fun to see an island where a season of "Survivor" had been filmed. Then, on this cruise, our ship actually went there! We could not get off, but I thought it was a real coincidence.

Probably won't make the 2016 cruise, but I know you will enjoy it!

Jack

Excellent review! Fabulous cruise.

Regarding Hiro's tour: While I was eating my delicious lunch, I set my plate down for a moment. One of the chicken's that was wandering around stole the beef off of my plate! I notice the chicken, however, did not touch the chicken on my plate.

Dear Sailor Jill and Sailor Jack

It was such a coincidence and complete delight to bump into you in San Pedro. We are that " Canadian couple " you mention in your review. I have to agree I did take you on a bit of a 'Lion Hunt " LOL! Thank you for sharing some time with us. It was one of the highlights of this fabulous cruise.

Wishing you many more adventures and look forward to many more trip reports.

Cheers

louden

Louise & Dennis

Good to hear from you! It was a pleasure meeting both of you...and fortuitous as well. Had we not met, we would not have not learned of the Lane Victory and missed out on an enjoyable excursion.. I have since visited the ship's website and learned a lot more about it. It would be fun to take one of its excursions, but due to mechanical problems those excursions are cancelled for the rest of the year.

again, thank you for a most enjoyable excursion.

Jack and Jill

Thank you SailorJack! As soon as I saw the header for your post I knew I was in for a treat.

Congratulations on becoming a Trusty Shellback! Or, is that Crusty Shellback?

CRUSTY Shellback!:D:D I have a certificate and it does not mention Crusty. Of course it doesn't mention Trusty either.:)

Thanks for the great review. We will be on this cruise next October, so it just whets my appetite

You are in for a real treat. It is a great itinerary. We met a lady aboard who was on her fourth cruise on that exact trip and another gentleman who was on his third one. Once you take that cruise you get hooked. I envy your upcoming trip.

Thanks for taking the time to share...we were on the roll call with you and certainly enjoyed this cruise...beautiful scenery, relaxing, crystal clear waters ...a must do...with no flight involved for us locals.

Great Cruise critic group...over 250, with many events, luncheons, crafts, knitting, slot pulls, cabin crawl, exercising, etc...excellent, cohesive group....made lots of new friends...

Here are some of the excursions we did....we have been to most of the ports 2-3 times prior

Hilo...Ricky's Volcano National Park..great tour

Honolulu...climbed Diamond Head...you can get there on your own..don't need a ships tour. Also took a taxi to PunchBowl....ship docked at Pier two..very close to Aloha Tower..but beware..this is downtown area, not Waikiki ...so not touristy stuff or many bars, eating locations by the ship.

Kauai...took a ships your to Ookkeea Falls and Old sugarcane plantation train ride. Pretty, but would not do it again for the $$.

Pago Pago we did Tisa's Barefoot BBQ...very fun, ok snorkeling, food was cooked underground and they held an opening ceremony...it was delicious...island tour before lunch..very nice...Tisa is a sweet lady and great host...

Apia..private CC tour where we did an island your, falls, new Catholic Church and a visit to New Hope orphanage, where the kids did a show for us and we donated school supplies. It was excellent and truly pulled at your heart..a real highlight of the 29 days!

Patricks Motu Picnic was excellent on Bora Bora....rays, sharks, food, free flowing wine, music, catamaran, excellent!!

Alberts Motu Picnic on Moorea (arranged on the dock) was very disappointing when we found out we were told one price, paid and not given what we were promised. I would steer clear of them..there were 6 of us from CC together and we feel we are smart, educated travellers...but he shammed us:mad:

Papeete ship docks right in town....the market and night time Roulette trucks are right off the ship. We did a Undiscovered Tahiti tour through the ship..it was excellent, with stopping at an old plantation estate, garden tour and Hawaiian snacks a real highlight.

Great cruise..but always nice to be home:p

Sorry to hear about your experience in Moorea. As I mentioned in my review, we used Hiro in Moorea and it was excellent.

Another point - for those who may go to Moorea - is that you do not need to make reservations - you can just walk on the boat at the pier. Price is $60 with lunch and $50 without lunch. The boat takes you to the ray and shark site and then to the Motu. It drops you off at the Motu and then goes back to pick up another group and then does the same route. This means you can stay on the Motu and sunbathe, swim, or snorkel as long as you want and then just catch the next boat back to the pier when you want to go back. It also means you can have a couple of lunches and a few more beers!

We did this cruise a year ago, and now reading SailorJack's review all the wonderful memories come flooding back. What an entertaining review! You make us Canucks proud!

And you are right about getting hooked on this cruise...we met several people who had taken this cruise many times. It is the only cruise so far that DH and I would gladly repeat. Loved the sea days, the weather, the gorgeous islands...just everything about it.

Thanks for posting a great review.

Re: SailorJill, getting in the spirit of things, donned a jet black coconut bra and a green grass miniskirt - accessorized with flowery head and ankle leis, bare feet and a little miniature palm tree navel piercing.

LMAO! Wow. Your journal read like a novel. :D

Just wondering how old (young) is your wife? :)

Envisioning what she must have looked like in her black coconut bra and green grass mini skirt. Ankle bracelet and navel piercing adds to the look. It's a hot look. :)

So, did you take a photo of her?

Will you post the photo?

Regards,

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just logged in to CC for the first time in over 30 days to find this gem. Coincidentally, I read it sitting at a bar on the waterfront in Papeete, Tahiti, LOLing the entire time. You've actually stolen a bit from a planned post for my blog about the Tahitian alphabet, but that's okay. You've said it all so much better than I ever could. Thanks for a great read, and I'm glad you enjoyed the islands. We certainly are!!

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

LOL...we may have been sitting in the same bar! We visited a couple.:D I had a little trouble with the alphabet until I figured out that no words ever ended in a consonant. After that it was fun putting words together.

As always, enjoy your wonderfully informative and funny reviews. It is true that all the great comedians are from Canada.

Ron

Glad you enjoyed it. Speaking of Canadian comics, my two favorites are John Candy and Dan Aykroyd, but it is amazing many comedians started off in Canada.

QUOTE=Wife of Gert;44784147]Excellent review! Fabulous cruise.

Regarding Hiro's tour: While I was eating my delicious lunch, I set my plate down for a moment. One of the chicken's that was wandering around stole the beef off of my plate! I notice the chicken, however, did not touch the chicken on my plate.

We also had to chase chickens off our table, but the dogs had no problem eating the chicken scraps.!:D

Re: SailorJill, getting in the spirit of things, donned a jet black coconut bra and a green grass miniskirt - accessorized with flowery head and ankle leis, bare feet and a little miniature palm tree navel piercing.

Envisioning what she must have looked like in her black coconut bra and green grass mini skirt. Ankle bracelet and navel piercing adds to the look. It's a hot look. :)

Will you post the photo?Regards,

King

Jill is a bit camera shy, but she is allowing me to post a picture of her in her Halloween costume (as Halloween occurred during our cruise) just as soon as I can get through editing 29 days of photos!:eek: But no posting of her in her new Hawaiian outfit!

We did this cruise a year ago, and now reading SailorJack's review all the wonderful memories come flooding back. What an entertaining review! You make us Canucks proud!

And you are right about getting hooked on this cruise...we met several people who had taken this cruise many times. It is the only cruise so far that DH and I would gladly repeat. Loved the sea days, the weather, the gorgeous islands...just everything about it.

Thanks for posting a great review.

Glad you enjoyed it. Always good to hear from another Canadian - even if it is an East Coast one!:D And your summary was spot on - there is just so much to like about this type of itinerary.

Edited by SailorJack

Will you post the photo?

Regards,

King

Jill is a bit camera shy, but she is allowing me to post a picture of her in her Halloween costume (as Halloween occurred during our cruise) just as soon as I can get through editing 29 days of photos!:eek: But no posting of her in her new Hawaiian outfit!

Nice polite response SailorJack. KingofCool's request made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. "Danger Will Robinson, danger!"

OH NO! Sailor Jack has a new review, and I only discovered it at 10:36pm. Well, guess I'm awake for awhile longer :D

I read the title and immediately thought "wait, is it..it can't be..SailorJack. It IS! YAY!!"

OK, back to the start to read, I know it will be great!

Nice polite response SailorJack. KingofCool's request made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. "Danger Will Robinson, danger!"

LOL. No offense was taken, but I like the reference to Lost in Space.:D

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to the pictures.

Pictures coming soon. Jill is our computer expert and she has just uploaded the pics from cameras to my PC, so I can get to work on them.

Edited by SailorJack

I originally started to read this because I will be on the Crown on December 6, 2014. I thought to myself well any review will mention the ship. I started reading it and completely forgot why I had started. You have a great way with words. I felt like I was there. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures even though I won't be going to any of those places.

Thanks for the laughs. I really loved reading it.

Candi