On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Our second port was Honolulu and we arrived early in the morning. These were taken as we entered the port. The water was calm and the sun was just starting to come up.

DSC_0123.jpg

You can see Diamond Head to the right of the photo.

DSC_0131.jpg

Sun has come up and we are going to have a glorious day in Oahu.

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

All these shots are from downtown Honolulu - and all within very easy walking distance from the ship.

This is Iolani Palace - the only true royal palace in the United States and is on the National Historic Landmark register. It was dedicated in 1882. It is now open for tours. Of interest, it was also the setting for the headquarters of Hawaii 50 in the original series back in the 1970's. It sits on 14 very lovely acres in the heart of Honolulu.

DSC_0157.jpg

A corner shot of the palace.

Donsvariouspics1355.jpg

This is the Coronation Pavilion and was once attached to the Palace but has since been moved to this location on the place grounds. It was built for the 1883 coronation of King Kalakaua and Queen Kapi'olani and has since been used for the inauguration of the Governors of the State of Hawaii.

Donsvariouspics1346.jpg

A shot of one of the huge trees on the palace gounds.

DSC_0160.jpg

Same tree, but with a twist!

DSC_0161.jpg

Again, all of these sites are an easy walk from the ship.

This is the Kawaiaha'o Church - also known as the Stone Church as well as the Westminster Abby of Hawaii. Construction was completed in 1842 and was the church visited by Hawaiian royalty. The building is constructed of 14,000 coral slabs - each weighing about 1,000 pounds. Hawaiian divers dove 10 to 20 feet underwater and armed with only hand tools, chiseled out each of the 14,000 slabs and brought them ashore - amazing! It is on the National Register of Historical Places. Services and conducted in both English and Hawaiian and visitors are allowed during services.

Donsvariouspics1360.jpg

The clock tower on the church came from Boston and has run continuously since 1851. Since that time - for over 160 years - someone walks up the steps to the clock every 7 to 10 days and winds it up.

DSC_0148.jpg

Same shot with a twist! (My last twisted shot!)

DSC_0150.jpg

This fountain and fresh water spring is at the side of the church and was the sacred spring of High Chiefess Hao who would bath in its waters. It is this spring which actually gave name to the Kawaiaha'o Church - as Kawaiaha'o translates as "water of Hao.

Donsvariouspics1363.jpg

Great pictures. And I like the "twists".

Thanks. I got a new camera and one of the options it has is called "effects" and this "twist" is one of the effects - not a software manipulation. It does add kind of an interesting take on an otherwise normal picture.:)

Jack

Right next to Kawaiaha'o Church is the Mausoleum of King Lunalilo.

Donsvariouspics1359.jpg

King Lunalilo was the shortest reigning king in Hawaiian history - serving only one year before his death in 1884. He requested that instead of being buried at the Royal Mausoleum in Nu'uanu Valley, that he be entombed among his people. So it came to be that he is the only king buried in Honolulu - on the church grounds. You can walk around the beautifully landscaped grounds but cannot enter the building.

Donsvariouspics1357.jpg

This is the statue of King Kamehameha - which is said to be the most photographed landmark in Hawaii. The building in back of the statue in Aliiolani Hale - the State Supreme Court of Hawaii. Of note, it is also shown on TV as the headquarters of the current version of Hawaii 50.

Donsvariouspics1364.jpg

The statue is actually the second one made. The first one was lost at sea near Cape Horn as it was being shipped from Florence,Italy. The first one was later found and is now on the big island -which you can see when you tour that island. Every year, on June 11th - Kamehameha Day - the statue is adorned with flowers and wreaths.

Donsvariouspics1365.jpg

As I mentioned before, all of these sites are just a short walk from the ship. This is Iolani Barracks "Halekoa" in Hawaiian - which translates to House of Warriors. This is where the 80 soldiers of the Royal Guard were housed. It was built in 1870 and is on the Register of National Historical Places. Today it serves as a gift shop for the Palace and it is also where you buy your tickets to tour the Palace.

DSC_0158.jpg

In almost all the cities we visit, there is a memorial for fire fighters and Honolulu is no exception. This one is located adjacent to a fire station and is just a few blocks for the newly opened Walmart. (No need to take a shuttle to get to this one!)

DSC_0143.jpg

Palm trees and modern high rises - a shot of Honolulu skyline.

Donsvariouspics1353.jpg

Another shot of the skyline.

DSC_0146.jpg

This is Aloha Tower. Serving as a lighthouse, it was built it 1926 it was for nearly 40 years the tallest structure in Hawaii. You can take an elevator to the 10th floor for some fantastic view of Honolulu and the harbor. It is also free. Of interest, during WWII it was painted in camouflage colors to hide it at night. Today it serves as one of the first welcoming sights of Honolulu as you come into the harbor.

Donsvariouspics1342.jpg

One other cool thing to do in Honolulu is to take a submarine ride. This is Atlantis Submarine coming back from a dive. The submarine goes down about 100 feet and tours wrecks and spots with marine life. Depending on discount, - military, group, etc. - the cost is about $100.

Donsvariouspics1343.jpg

We are finally off to Hanauma Bay! On the way we pass the house that is used in scenes from Hawaii 50. This is the alleged home of Steve McGarrett. However, mostly the back of the house is pictured in the TV series. It is located in a very quiet subdivision of mostly million dollar homes.

PA240084.jpg

This is a mountain located on the road to Hanauma Bay. It was pointed out by our guide, but I have forgotten the name. It was a lookout for Japanese submarines in WWII but is now a favorite of hikers.

PA240085.jpg

Looking back at Honolulu on the road to Hanauma Bay. That is Diamond Head in the far distance.

PA240179.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Greetings Sailor Jack

Oh how I love your reviews ...my hubby thought I was nuts giggling over your lovely words .you are awesome ...made my day and Happy New Year to you as everyone is still dozing at almost noon

Im so glad I did find your review ....esp since I will be heading that way shortly .i so look forward to Tahiti and Bora bora ..i fear the sharks will sniff my fear and come and check on me ...and give me either a friendly nudge or a tiny toe nibble ....that would freak me out plus I really need all my appendages to remain attached to me ...it makes swimming easier ..or so Im told

Thanks again ..im now going to see your pics one by one

Please continue posting your reviews .if i ever met you I think we would laugh our heads off

Happy sailing to you

Michele ;)

I will be in Moorea soon and need the info re the laggon ride. Picnin thingy at the motu

What company offers thiswhere is it from the tender dock

Please help i will be there next week and have no specific plans gor Moorea ..would love to snorkel ..got all my stuff

Thanks

I will be in Moorea soon and need the info re the laggon ride. Picnin thingy at the motu

What company offers thiswhere is it from the tender dock

Please help i will be there next week and have no specific plans gor Moorea ..would love to snorkel ..got all my stuff

Thanks

Really easy, just at another portion of the dock area from the tender. We really enjoyed this. (I was on this Crown cruise too)

http://www.hirotours.com/

Greetings Sailor Jack

Oh how I love your reviews ...my hubby thought I was nuts giggling over your lovely words .you are awesome ...made my day and Happy New Year to you as everyone is still dozing at almost noon

Im so glad I did find your review ....esp since I will be heading that way shortly .i so look forward to Tahiti and Bora bora ..i fear the sharks will sniff my fear and come and check on me ...and give me either a friendly nudge or a tiny toe nibble ....that would freak me out plus I really need all my appendages to remain attached to me ...it makes swimming easier ..or so Im told

Thanks again ..im now going to see your pics one by one

Please continue posting your reviews .if i ever met you I think we would laugh our heads off

Happy sailing to you

Michele ;)

LOL..I always enjoy reading your posts as I love your sense of humor, and yes - having toes does make swimming easier. I would love to sail with you - I will make it one of my New Year's resolutions.:)

The snorkeling trip in Moorea is very easy to find. After the tender docks, just walk to the end of the dock, turn right - walk past the dancers wearing coconut bras and grass skirts and the table of free island fruit samples (something I was unable to do) and walk over to the next dock where Hiro's boat is moored. The whole walk cannot be more that 75 yards (meters). You can actually see his boat the minute you step off the tender. Cost, as I recall, was $50 and $60 if you wanted lunch. If you miss the first boat (hard to do as he waits quite a while for people to get off the tenders) the second boat leaves about an hour later. He provides snorkeling gear but you have your own. Bring towels and sunscreen. Lunch includes beer and fruit juices, but I cannot remember if he had water as well. At least on our trip no reservations were required, they had people on the dock soliciting passengers.

Enjoy - it was one of our favorite shore excursions and I know you will like it.

Jack

PS There is another company that does a similar tour, but I spoke with several people that took that one and they were very disappointed. Drop me a line when you get back and let me how it went.

Edited by SailorJack

Thank you will do

You have no idea how excited I am about this trip .when I was a little girli used to watch a show about Captain Troy and his yacht in Tahiti and .southern Pacific .Not to date myself but this show was in black and white ....ooops I think I just dated myself ....however the scenery was spectacular and always made me want to go there ...and a few Decades later here we are

Notwithstanding Oceanias lack of service everything is settled and I am ready to roll ...actually fly ...for a very long time ...prepared to arrive ..wildeyed ,unbushy tailed ..borderline zombie .This will be my longest flight ever ...i guess my arms will be tired ....after28 hours flying time ....but upwards and onwards we go ...cannot wait ...thanks will definitely check out hiros

Yes definately must meet up soon

On this cruise Im remeeting friends i made on Ocean Princess on our voyage to Greenland and Iceland ....so very much looking forward to that

Salutations and tip of the hat

Sir Sailor Jack

We have finally made it to Hanauma Bay. It has been a few years since we have been here and it has really changed. There are nice park grounds around the entrance and you now have to pay a fee to go down to the beach. I think it was $7.00, but I could be wrong. You must also attend a mandatory 20 minute video about the Bay and the do' and don'ts regarding the behavior once down on the beach. It adds about an hour wait time - between waiting for the next video to start and the video itself, but you eventually get to go down to one of the best snorkeling beaches around. There is now a tram that takes you down the hill. It costs a dollar to take it down, but $2 to take it back up the hill. Of course you can always walk. We walked down and took the tram back up. (It is a really long, steep hill). Anyway, this is Hanauma Bay.

PA240087.jpg

PA240086.jpg

PA240088.jpg

PA240089.jpg

Thank you will do

You have no idea how excited I am about this trip .when I was a little girli used to watch a show about Captain Troy and his yacht in Tahiti and .southern Pacific .Not to date myself but this show was in black and white ....ooops I think I just dated myself ....however the scenery was spectacular and always made me want to go there ...and a few Decades later here we are

Notwithstanding Oceanias lack of service everything is settled and I am ready to roll ...actually fly ...for a very long time ...prepared to arrive ..wildeyed ,unbushy tailed ..borderline zombie .This will be my longest flight ever ...i guess my arms will be tired ....after28 hours flying time ....but upwards and onwards we go ...cannot wait ...thanks will definitely check out hiros

Yes definately must meet up soon

On this cruise Im remeeting friends i made on Ocean Princess on our voyage to Greenland and Iceland ....so very much looking forward to that

Salutations and tip of the hat

Sir Sailor Jack

What ship are you sailing on...I will watch to see if there are any "live" posts from your cruise.

What ship are you sailing on...I will watch to see if there are any "live" posts from your cruise.

Annies song ..tomorrow ...tomorrow etc .......

is ringing in my head as we are officially leaving tomorrow morning for Atlanta,LAX and Papeete arriving 5 am Sunday .....28 plus hours later ......abandoned at the airport like the poor relations we are refusing to dish out 260$ for a transfer to a hospitality area to wait for boarding after noon......

........wildeyed ,not bushy tailed perhaps bushy haired and disheveled completely out of whack in advance zombie state ...Lord have mercy ...my eyes will be at half mast ....oy

Snoozing on a plane is never really a success for me

Going on Oceania Marina ...

Will try to post commentary

I cannot even imagine what type of flight you are on. Our Summer home is 2 hours from Montreal and did you know they do have a direct flight from Montreal to LAX? I take that flight to see my daughter in LA....OMG what a nightmare to go via Atlanta???? the luxury stopped at the airport