Eurodam - 11/9 -16/14 Review

Crazy For Cats

Embarkation was the quickest we have ever encountered. We left the hotel around 10:30 and by 11:30 were in our rooms. The lines to check in was short and quick. Thanks to the Neptune suite perk we had our bags unpacked and were in the MDR for the welcome back lunch by noon. A very nice way to start the vacation.

The cabin, 5186, was wonderful. The corner aft balcony is huge and the extra room inside made for easy getting around. The extra outlets also made charging our electronics very manageable. Additionally a footnote to this cabin. The wifi worked better in the room on my Ipad than it did on a HAL pc. Later I did notice the wifi device on the ceiling. I have shared photos of the cabin and balcony with halfacts.com.

We ate in the MDR for one dinner so that we could experience the birthday experience. We shared the table with some friends that we met on the Veendam and had a wonderful dining experience. The food and service were excellent, as well as the company. Enjoyed the special birthday cake and singing.

We also tried the Tamarind for the first time. I am not a seafood person so the thought of this restaurant never appealed. I would like to thank the CC member who posted the menu. I reviewed it before the cruise and found a few items that were acceptable to try. The food and service here was the highlight of my dining experience on this cruise. They catered the “heat”

of the food to our tastes and that worked very well for both of us. I later learned during the meal that they would substitute items. Instead of shrimp they would use chicken if you had a fish allergy or aversion. After a wonderful first meal we tried it for a second night later in the cruise. The food and service were again outstanding and I did substitute chicken for shrimp

and had a second amazing meal. The Tamarind folks also surprised me with a second birthday cake and song! I would also like to mention that the staff of the Tamarind are very friendly and welcoming. I look forward to going to the Tamarind again some day.

We did try the Pinnacle Grill for the breakfast perk and only took advantage of this twice. The food and service are good but the atmosphere is too formal for me for breakfast. Their service and friendliness were outdone by the Tamarind.

The entertainment on ship was standard HAL fare until I went to the BB King show. That was the best entertainment I saw on a HAL ship. I went to several of the shows and each one was different and good. The HAL dancers and singers were better than some we have recently seen. It was also nice to hear some current songs in the shows. I didn’t hear anything before my time which was a nice change of pace. Although the Pink and Lady Gaga renditions were not all that great. The comedian was good and his adult show late one night was hilarious, not for the timid. I poked my head into the Piano Bar and heard the same old songs so quickly left.

We did use laundry service frequently on this cruise and it always came back on the same day. Thanks to the laundry perk and some sound packing advice from other CC members we both travelled with carry on bags and my bag was a bit lighter post cruise, even with some souvenir shopping.

Happy Hours were reduced on this cruise. From 4 to 5 you could go to the Ocean Bar or the Crows Nest. From 9 to 10 you could go to the Crows Nest. I missed having the 10 pm Happy Hour in the Northern Lights but my bank account and liver appreciated less spending.

I did secure a Future Cruise Deposit and there are some changes. For a cruise lasting 3 to 21 days only a $100 deposit is required, 22 to 50 requires $300 and 51 days or longer require $1000. Additionally the deposit can be refunded at any time. I found this to be a nice change in policy.

The only flaw on this cruise was Jamaica. We had been scheduled to dock here but it turned into a tender port, not a big deal. The problem began once we got on shore. The landing was very “industrial” and not welcoming. A quick shuttle ride took us to the shops at the dock. The people running the shops followed us everywhere and were too demanding that we buy something. In the end we left quickly and bought nothing.

Disembarkation went very quickly. I saw three customs agents and things moved along at a good pace. Of course we were early to leave so things could have changed.

Now I have Bermuda to look forward to and some planning for next fall.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Added Disembarkation notes

I'm very happy to hear your birthday cruise was a good one, Jake. Sorry your liver had to be healthy.

Deb

Birthday cruises are a tradition that I could get used to. We did bring on some champagne from Total Wine, a bottle came with the room and Sandy shared some of her stash. So it was probably good not to have a third happy hour. If you ever get the chance try the Tamarind.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. So glad you tried the Tamarind. We love it and the staff.

Jamaica is Jamaica. We were to dock there once and the new port was not finished due to strikes by workers so we were to tender but that got canceled. It just was not to be for us.

We are giving the Pin. Grill a chance for breakfast on our next cruise but we have the Lido down pat--know what we like and where to find it. Once the staff knows what tea, hot sauce, toast etc. you like, it just suddenly appears for you. How can one go wrong. Hopefully, we will have nice mornings to eat out on the wrap around deck

We're on her December 7 sailing, so thanks much for your review! I was thinking about trying the Tamarind… you've convinced me. :p I was also having some apprehensions about going ashore in Jamaica. Sounds like a great day to stay on the ship and just relax. Glad you had a good cruise!

Thanks for the review. We board the Eurodam on Dec. 7. We too love the Tamarind and the Silk Den. Have planned to eat there as well as Pinnacle Grill.

We aren't sure what to do on Jamaica. Maybe we won't go off the ship either. It kind of scares me even though I'd like to see some of the island.

Birthday cruises are a tradition that I could get used to. We did bring on some champagne from Total Wine, a bottle came with the room and Sandy shared some of her stash. So it was probably good not to have a third happy hour. If you ever get the chance try the Tamarind.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hope to be able to do so one day. Right now cruising is an every other year thing for us, with a cheapie land based vacation on the off years.

Debbie