P&O Cruiselings Ads

I have seen this new P&O Australia tv ad a couple of times.

Not really sure what market they are after.

http://http://mumbrella.com.au/pc-cruises-urge-earthlings-experiences-freedom-cruiseling-261922

Link is to mumbrella, which has lots of marketing commentary as well as a copy of the ad.

Edited by Docker123

Yes, it's a bit of a weird one.

I'm sure their target market will be happy that there are no rules onboard, they can slide down the bannisters, smash glasses and throw food at others as they feel like.

Credit for trying to be different, and for the funding effort, but I don't think the output was a great result. Perhaps it's another Bingle... ;-)

The ad makes me cringe. 'Cruiselings'? I don't think it's clever and the ad makes me even more determined to never cruise on a P&O Australia ship.

Now , when I watch the 'Take Me Away' ad from the 80s on YouTube, that still works it's magic on me. One of the best Australian ad campaigns of all time.

One of the all time worst advertisements I've ever seen. Smashing glasses and sliding down banisters.

P&O have the strictest policy against people doing silly things, as soon as you so much as dance you will be surrounded by security and RSA hawking over you, so I'm not sure what they're going for here.

I hope people go onboard P&O ships and smash the champagne waterfall, slide down bannisters and throw food around then turn around and say "but they do it on your ad" , that will teach them for making such a dumb ad!

Royal Caribbean's "It's Royal Caribbean time" advertisement is very good and makes P&O's effort look embarrassing for themselves.

Royal's ad gives the same notions of freedom and having a great time but it goes about it in a realistic and totally plausible way. Makes me want to book RCCL next time and avoid P&O (which I would anyway after most recent experience with them)

As they don't have new ships filled with wave ridders, bumper cars, ice bars etc etc..They have to do something to attract younger cruisers...might lead to some disappointment when the experience doesn't match the advertising...reminds me of the new Johnny Walker ad slashing paint over antiques...just plain annoying

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I have seen this new P&O Australia tv ad a couple of times.

Not really sure what market they are after.

http://http://mumbrella.com.au/pc-cruises-urge-earthlings-experiences-freedom-cruiseling-261922

Link is to mumbrella, which has lots of marketing commentary as well as a copy of the ad.

I cannot belive what I just experienced.:eek:

Who would want to cruise with the people shown in that ad?:confused:

It must be an ad to drive people away from P&O.:rolleyes:

One of the all time worst advertisements I've ever seen. Smashing glasses and sliding down banisters.

P&O have the strictest policy against people doing silly things, as soon as you so much as dance you will be surrounded by security and RSA hawking over you, so I'm not sure what they're going for here.

I hope people go onboard P&O ships and smash the champagne waterfall, slide down bannisters and throw food around then turn around and say "but they do it on your ad" , that will teach them for making such a dumb ad!

Royal Caribbean's "It's Royal Caribbean time" advertisement is very good and makes P&O's effort look embarrassing for themselves.

Royal's ad gives the same notions of freedom and having a great time but it goes about it in a realistic and totally plausible way. Makes me want to book RCCL next time and avoid P&O (which I would anyway after most recent experience with them)

Agree, it's terrible and cringe worthy.

Royal's ad is way better.

It appears to me that they are asking for the schoolies to cruise instead of destroy the Gold Coast for a while

If I had not already used that cruise line I would not do so on the thoughts of this advertisement

It is quite disgusting to recommend such behaviour as being normal and entertaining

I'm assuming that the idea is to create a controversial, attention-grabbing set-up for a broader advertising campaign. I've checked some of their other promotional material in the current campaign and although it's heavily targeting a young audience, the "bad behaviour" angle is nowhere to be seen.

Nevertheless, a campaign targeted at "the Now Girl" and "the Adventure Lord" (I kid you not - these are the terms they use) and promoting two 20-year-old ex-HAL ships does nothing for me.

I'm assuming that the idea is to create a controversial, attention-grabbing set-up for a broader advertising campaign. I've checked some of their other promotional material in the current campaign and although it's heavily targeting a young audience, the "bad behaviour" angle is nowhere to be seen.

Nevertheless, a campaign targeted at "the Now Girl" and "the Adventure Lord" (I kid you not - these are the terms they use) and promoting two 20-year-old ex-HAL ships does nothing for me.

Beats me as well, I will be on the Aria for its inaugural cruise out of Sydney but will not be impressed if food fights reign.

Different target audience!

Their old clients are bored with the product they offer in Australia, so they have to try to attract new young cruisers to fill all their ships.

However, they might end up being one time cruisers when they discover local cruising is not at all like the advertisement.

My first thought was that it was a joke also, David. Marketing campaign starting in July, ready for next year's schoolies, maybe?

Thats very sad. What worries me is that a huge company like that is being run by CEO's and Directors who would allow something like that to go out.

However , it seems standards these days are easily replaced by a cheque book.

When i saw the ad on tv i was a bit taken aback.

P&O has had horrible publicity over the last while in Australia and I thought that they were trying to move their image away from disruptive behaviour.

I did have in the back of my mind whether they were trying to re-capture their old funship mentality, but end up looking like Animal House.

Beats me as well, I will be on the Aria for its inaugural cruise out of Sydney but will not be impressed if food fights reign.

I don't believe there's been any change to the security/rules onboard, as posted above. Just their marketers ran amok.

On our recent Pacific Dawn cruise we did see some younger kids being warned for elevator "button pushing". I would have thought that would be acceptable for "cruiselings" according to their ad?

Steve.