Celebrity or Royal?

NOSaints1

Is there a dress code?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

people on Celebrity not only follow the suggested attire guidelines , they also tended to have a greater percentage actually dress for formal night.

I also saw people turned away from the MDR for not having a jacket on formal night( never saw that on Royal)

My wife and I are in our mid 30s, I want to sail Royal and she says Celebrity is too fancy for our ages. What is the food like between the two, entertainment among the two and the activities to do on Celebrity, we've only sailed Carnival so we know nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since you've only sailed on Carnival at this point, you might find cruising on Royal Caribbean (RCCL) to work best for you... much more like Carnival than Celebrity is. ;)

LuLu

My wife and I were the same ages as you guys when we chose Celebrity last year for a Caribbean cruise. It was our first.

We were blown away by how nice everything was. From the food to the staff everything. We booked another cruise for the same ship 3 days in. The thing I liked most is that the ships are smaller. I never felt like I had to be wowed by anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sailed on Celebrity since early thirties and loved it. Actually we loved both lines, but find service and food to be better on average. Entertainment is pretty comparable in term of main entertainment. The only real con is teens clubs and absence of mini golf which we enjoy.

We sailed California Coastal on Mercury and crowed was second oldest out of all cruises (the absolute oldest was on Royal Brilliance of the Seas New England/Canada. We had many 90, 95th birthdays! We are in our yearly forties felt like grand kids :) )

If you want younger crowd then pick Caribbeans on larger ship.

If you are only going to go on one more cruise ever you should try Celebrity now. If you are planning on cruising again, I would suggest trying Royal if you like Carnival (it's more fun and active than Celebrity), and plan to try Celebrity in the near future. I was in my early 30s the first time I cruised Celebrity and found it to be too quiet and boring. I tried Celebrity again in my mid to late 30s and really enjoyed it, and it has become my prefered line...the entertainment and decor has become much more modern. I wouldn't call it fancy, though, other than Murano restaurant, Ensemble lounge, and the Wine lounge.

I'm in my early 30's and I sailed on the Silhouette earlier this year. My friend and I were definitely much younger than the average age on board but that didn't stop us from having a great time. It wasn't a "party boat" by any means but there was some night life (especially on formal nights). I like X because I don't find it as cheesy as other cruise lines (no excessive announcements, pushy sales people, ect). I also enjoy the fact that there aren't many kids on board.

We have sailed both lines many times. I'm old enough to be your mother but maintain that age is just a state of mind.

We just got off one of RCI's older ships two weeks ago and because of the itinerary the sailing complement ratio was skewed to a near HAL ratio...not good for you and your wife...not too good for me either!

We sailed Celebrity in May and will sail at least once more next year on the Summit. The Summit is an M class ship as is the Infinity - two of your choices with Celebrity. They are well laid out ships with plenty of room for the passengers. For an ocean view cabin passenger you have the choice of three extra fee restaurants. Bistro on 5 is $7 and features crepes, soups, salads and sandwiches. The main specialty restaurant on both ships is a white tablecloth multi course fine dining experience. Both ships also offer Q'sine on deck 11. It is a modern twist on tapas on steroids and I much prefer it to either the United States or Normandie (fine dining.) I think the surcharge is about $40 per person for these venues.

I haven't sailed in an ocean view cabin since balconies were introduced but the cabins on Celebrity "feel" larger. It has much to do with the layout. You can get the sq. footage on both companies web sites.

Now to the two choices on RCI. I think either will suit you both as far as amenities and passenger complement. Both are much newer than either of the Celebrity ships and offer more activities.

Either product will be at least three steps above Carnival.

Choose the itinerary you prefer and enjoy your cruise. And, don't forget to join the Roll Call.