CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

Thanks for the update... Glad to see the Spellbound is still in the package. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures over the next week. Will try again to get screenshots of departure.

Thanks. I thought about asking one of our neighbors to take our photo when we sail by, but then I decided to Photoshop our heads onto some people with really good bodies. :D

POA1, Huskerchick and Poohby Joe many many thanks for letting us cruise along with you. I must admit I'm addicted and find this thread is the first thing in the morning I check and the last thing at night. I know, I know, I really need to get a life but at least for another week it ain't goin' happen! :D

Your avid followers thank you for the time you are taking to keep us entertained and educated.

Keep us posted on those prunes! :rolleyes:

Thanks! We're hoping that the prune truck didn't make it in. We had a prune dessert - as in it was on the menu, not that we ate it - two weeks ago. I'm waiting for the Pruna Colada Drink of the Day.

Thanks! We're hoping that the prune truck didn't make it in. We had a prune dessert - as in it was on the menu, not that we ate it - two weeks ago. I'm waiting for the Pruna Colada Drink of the Day.

Oh my heavens - don't give them any bright ideas please:eek::p

Your thread is so much fun, let me add my thanks and admiration to the others.

POA1, Thank you for the invaluable wine education. Although wine is my alcoholic beverage of choice, I am a half step above box wine and convenience store wine in a brown paper bag (i.e., "wino" to your oenophile).

Anyway, after perusing the wine lists and packages, we've decided to bring our own and pay the corkage. Rather have what we truly like. Was going to bring all Sauvignon Blancs (Chardonnay burns what is usually a cast iron stomach and dislike sweet/dessert wines). At the last minute, I decided to buy a Shiraz (love the name!) and a Merlot because Cabernet Sauvignons are too tannicy (sp) and feel like I should either chew them or plant a pumpkin patch on my tongue. Here's where you'll cringe: I selected them based on the label and $$$. The shiraz is a Oliver Hills Red Silk and the merlot something with horses called 14 Hands. Loved the labels but should I leave them home? :o

Thanks again for including us on your delightful cruise.

P.S. I'm glad HAL's new mascot is aquiring his own cruise wardrobe!

I haven't had the Red Silk, but the ratings are consistently excellent. The 14 Hands Merlot scores consistently in the upper 80s, which is very good. :)

Oh, this could get interesting. Please do let us know if his presence (and that of the TA's he's schmoozing with) makes a difference in the atmosphere on board (and if so, in what ways). I will love to read all about it.

POA1:

I agree with RuthC: very interesting. Hope you have the Mariner Society Director, a really great guy!

Very glad to hear that International Night was passable. The pumpkin soup, mezze platter and the Shrimp Provencal are my everytime dining choices on International Night!

Enjoy part 2 of your cruise and thanks for the fun thread.

For the person who wanted to see what the adjoining room door looks like, here it is:

connecting-room-door.jpg

It's narrower than a normal door. You lose one long, hanging closet to get the door.

For those of you who really could give a rat's patoot about adjoining closet doors, we present a Christmas photo of Solo Guitarist Don in the Crow's Nest.

guitarist-don-crows-nest-tree.jpg

Pamela, if you like the Shiraz, try my favourite, the Australian Rosemount Estates Shiraz. It is available on HAL ships at a "reasonable" price. The Shiraz from South Africa is also very good. I am no expert on wine but I know what I like. I am going to try some of the wines on POA's list. He seems to know what he's talking about and I may find another favourite.

A Pruna Colada, while probably not visually pretty could become the new breakfast of champions. Especially if you substituted vodka for rum (think Chi-Chi).;)

Serious question: I noticed you had open dining last cruise. Did you tip your wine steward on a nightly basis? What made me think of this is I may well skip "International Night"?!

A Pruna Colada, while probably not visually pretty could become the new breakfast of champions. Especially if you substituted vodka for rum (think Chi-Chi).;)

Serious question: I noticed you had open dining last cruise. Did you tip your wine steward on a nightly basis? What made me think of this is I may well skip "International Night"?!

We always tip the wine steward as we go, and we're usually in fixed seating. The last cruise was an exception. To keep it simple, it's on a per bottle basis. Again, you don't have to if you don't want to. It's your call.

POA1, Thank you for the invaluable wine education. Although wine is my alcoholic beverage of choice, I am a half step above box wine and convenience store wine in a brown paper bag (i.e., "wino" to your oenophile).

Mad Dog 20/20 ??? :D

I know how you feel. I am a Barefoot Wine type of gal myself ! I love the education Institute of Cheer and POA1 gives me concerning wine.

For my cruise I decided to bring aboard a Frascati ( sp? ) that Total Wine sells so I can pick it up before my cruise. I feel in love with the local Rome wines and I can't find them here so I am pretty happy.

Thanks POA1 for the picture of the adjoining door. Looks like my sis will not gripe much, however I still plan on a breakfast of Bloody Mary's so she will be " in fine spirits ". All in the same of research and such.

My pleasure. We managed to get most everything to fit. My shoes are on floor in front of the adjoining door. They're out of the frame in the photo. All things considered, we'd rather have the third closet. When we travel with friends or family, we always put at least one cabin between each of us. I don't think I could take random friends and loved ones popping out of the wall. ;)

We also have a new singer with the HAL Cats this week. It was Melanie three weeks ago, Ashley last week, and a new singer this cruise. Her name is Amber.

We just pushed away from the dock. We'll catch up with you later.

Actually we expect to see you 1.609344 times. :D

Hope to see you for the sail away on our balcony today.

OK, who was on the balcony with you? Lots of speculation on the sail away thread.

In case you want to see yourself, I posted 11 photos on flickr...

For the person who wanted to see what the adjoining room door looks like, here it is:

connecting-room-door.jpg

It's narrower than a normal door. You lose one long, hanging closet to get the door.

For those of you who really could give a rat's patoot about adjoining closet doors, we present a Christmas photo of Solo Guitarist Don in the Crow's Nest.

guitarist-don-crows-nest-tree.jpg

Great pictures.

POA1 could you please answer a question for me ? We are sailing the NA , same itinerary in January. I'm curious and turn around day at FLL . Did you have to get off the ship ? I apologize if you already covered this . Frank

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yep he already covered it. Read the following posting and click on the embedded link to see the letter he received.

There are always questions about turnaround day at Port Everglades, when your first 7 day segment ends and your second week is about to begin. I know we had questions, and if you're doing a back to back or Collector's Cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, this might help.

A few days before your sailing ends, you should receive an envelope that contains your in-transit passes as well as written instructions about what to do on the day you return to Port Everglades.

Our dear friend, Poohby Joe (who guards our wine when we're out and about) is shown here, holding our in-transit cards.*

Turnaround-2.jpg

*I know someone's going to ask the question, so here's the answer. Poohby's in-transit card is very small and it's in his pocket. He has to report to a different room for immigration purposes. Huskerchick and I are American citizens, while Poohby Joe is a citizen of the Hundred Acre Wood. As such, he holds a UK passport.

Speaking of locations for immigration -- Here's a link to a scan of the procedure. We're staying on the ship, so we don't have to get off. This is a but different than I've seen reported here before. Bear in mind that the process could change as it is subject to modification by the US authorities.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFg14MS4uZ1MV5tgQME559W2U8j8rlE35YE/

POA1 could you please answer a question for me ? We are sailing the NA , same itinerary in January. I'm curious and turn around day at FLL . Did you have to get off the ship ? I apologize if you already covered this . Frank

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You do not have to get off the ship. You will have to report to the show lounge at an appointed time. I was there for over an hour. POA repoted his time as being much quicker. Depends how quickly the zero the ship.

The new master is Captain Edward G. van Zaane.

The wine packages also change today. I'll scan them and post them shortly. I already pre-ordered some white from the new list and a couple bottles of Pinot Noir from the old one.

He was our Captain the two weeks we sailed Nieuw Amsterdam.

Have you met HAL's new President? Interesting to see if he and all his TA's stay aboard the whole week.

I join the others in telling you how enjoyable your thread is. I look for it daily. :)

Edited by sail7seas