Rough Seas & Winds In Eastern Caribbean

Chief7

We were unable to stop at HMC on our 11/3 Noordam due to rough Sea conditions, and although we WERE able to dock at Grand Turk, HAL cancelled all scuba/snorkel/water activities (at least we were told they did).

We found Grand Turk to be our least favorite of our stops (Dominican Republic, Boniaire, Curacao, and Aruba were the other ports).

Although I liked Grand Turk, it is a very small (and poor) Island, and in the grand scheme of things, is not a huge miss (unless you were planning some Scuba).

but still sorry that you missed one of the planned ports.

I'm just off the West/East b2b on the NA and we had some pretty breezy weather too. We were able to make all of the port stops but had big problems with tenders in Grand Cayman & HMC. We heard that other ships missed some ports.

I hope it calms down for you and you enjoy the rest of your trip.

It does happen, we once missed Grand Cayman because the winds were so bad we could not get in and our Captain tried both side of the island. There was a couple, that was leaving the cruise to get married in GC and we were getting off to vacation there for several days. So a lot of plans got ruined.

Sorry you missed your port, hopefully that will be the only one.

The joys of sailing in November/December in the Caribbean.

If you land in San Juan early tomorrow you will be doing well IMO.

didn't care for Grand Turk but still sorry to hear you missed a port.

and then there is summer. Few ships do Caribbean due to hurricanes and tropical storms. It is the fun of cruising. No port is guaranteed

We missed the Shetlands due to Hurricane Cristobol heading for the North Sea. Got an extra day in Iceland though but the sea was quite active. The Amsterdam had to detour around Japan to avoid the cyclones this fall. The weather on land is always in the news. Things are a-changing that is for sure.

Hey guys

From Down Under. Whats it like in say January for sea roughness or smoothness.Note that you expect it rough around Nov/Dec

I would say that GENERALLY from mid-January thru March is the best time for good weather in the Caribbean. Shockingly, this is when the price is highest.:D

We were unable to stop at HMC on our 11/3 Noordam due to rough Sea conditions, and although we WERE able to dock at Grand Turk, HAL cancelled all scuba/snorkel/water activities (at least we were told they did).

We found Grand Turk to be our least favorite of our stops (Dominican Republic, Boniaire, Curacao, and Aruba were the other ports).

Although I liked Grand Turk, it is a very small (and poor) Island, and in the grand scheme of things, is not a huge miss (unless you were planning some Scuba).

If the waters were rough it was probably a good thing diving and snorkeling was cancelled since visibility would have been bad.

I would hate to miss out on scuba diving in Grand Turk since I had one of my best scuba diving excursions there.

It is not unheard of for ships to have to miss Grand Turk because of winds and current making it difficult to dock. I don't remember the specifics but am sure I have read here that is not an easy dock for ships to tie up at.....

Sorry you missed your call there as it is usually an enjoyable day but hopefully a fun time in San Juan will make up for it. :)

We missed HMC and Grand Cayman last week on Eurodam due to the winds. Was a 2 port cruise as we only made Ocho Rios and Key West.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by ETinCA