Should we carry our passports with us when we're in ports?

Ladysilver

You do realize that "when you get home" will be significantly delayed and quite costly if you're flying internationally and have had your passport lost or stolen.

Yes, and I should have been more clear in that I assumed we were primarily talking about a domestic cruise, i.e. one would not be flying internationally at the end of it. If you're flying to an international cruise port, there's a good chance the cruise line will hold your passport anyway, in which case it's a non-issue because you don't have a choice. If you do get to keep it, then we're back where we started.... each person has to decide whether they think they have a greater chance of having their passport lost/stolen, or a greater chance of missing the ship for some reason beyond their control (or possibly their own poor decision making, LOL). For me, I feel the odds of missing the ship are higher than that of having my passport lost/stolen. YMMV

Yes, and I should have been more clear in that I assumed we were primarily talking about a domestic cruise, i.e. one would not be flying internationally at the end of it. If you're flying to an international cruise port, there's a good chance the cruise line will hold your passport anyway, in which case it's a non-issue because you don't have a choice. If you do get to keep it, then we're back where we started.... each person has to decide whether they think they have a greater chance of having their passport lost/stolen, or a greater chance of missing the ship for some reason beyond their control (or possibly their own poor decision making, LOL). For me, I feel the odds of missing the ship are higher than that of having my passport lost/stolen. YMMV

So, no stops on your "domestic cruise" would be in a non US state or territory? If you miss the ship in another country's port stop, it's a lot better to find the ship's agent with your passport in hand than to rummage through your pocket or purse only to find it lost or stolen. And yes, all Hawaii or left or right US coast cruises would be the "domestic" cruises where a passport would be less of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

than that of having my passport lost/stolen. YMMV

So, no stops on your "domestic cruise" would be in a non US state or territory? If you miss the ship in another country's port stop, it's a lot better to find the ship's agent with your passport in hand than to rummage through your pocket or purse only to find it lost or stolen. And yes, all Hawaii or left or right US coast cruises would be the "domestic" cruises where a passport would be less of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you're on shore and late back to the ship, ring the ship and tell them where the passport is. They will certainly leave it with the port agent.

The only reason why you must have a passport for fear of missing the ship, is if you think you might miss it because you forgot the time and didn't know you were late until the ship had sailed. And if your head is that much in the air, then you'd be better making the afternoon excursion very close to the ship.

You are making a lot of assumptions which are really just your opinion. There are lots of reasons one could be delayed.... illness, injury, traffic jam, cab gets in an accident, etc. As for being pick-pocketed, I've been on 20+ cruises and a zillion other trips to foreign countries and large cities in the US and have yet to be pick pocketed. Not saying it couldn't happen, but you make it sound like you're almost certain to get pick pocketed, yet there's no risk of missing the ship. Neither are true.
Yes, you can be delayed, but if you don't wait 'til the last minute to return to the ship, you're very unlikely to miss it. You should assume traffic will be slow and begin early enough to account for such delays. If your cab has an accident, you're just the passenger -- you can leave and get a different cab. If you become ill or injured, you're better off making your way back to the ship (even if it's uncomfortable), where you can receive first-world medical care. Of course, every situation is different, but I don't see any opinions anywhere in those thoughts.

I have been part of a group in which about 1/3 of the people were pickpocketed -- and not a one of them felt or suspected a thing. In fact, knowing we were in a big city known for such crimes, they thought they were taking proper precautions and were being quite careful. These people are GOOD at what they do.

The reality is that you're exceedingly likely to be just fine whether you take your passport off the ship or not; you're likely to enjoy your island time and walk right back to the ship as planned. However, if you do have an emergency, it's more likely to be loss or theft rather than illness or delay.

Edited by MrsPete

The other school of thought is to always take your passport ashore with you. This group is convinced that:

--things beyond their control could cause them to miss the ship, and they want to be able to go straight to the airport without worrying about the time and effort involved in getting a replacement passport

People who think this way are fooling themselves about it being easy to go "straight to the airport without worrying". In reality, on a small island they'd almost certainly NOT get a flight out that day, and when they can get a flight, it'd be an expensive, last-minute fare.

The right answer is to AVOID the problem altogether and simply return to the ship on time, something that is quite easy to do.

Edited by MrsPete

Yes, I think that's what I said. ;)

Again though, if your passport is stolen you can always replace it when you get home so it's not the end of the world. And it doesn't really matter how anal you are about getting back to the ship on time; things can happen that are beyond your control. If you're comfortable believing that's not true, leave your passport on the ship. :)

Sure, you can replace your passport -- but getting through US Customs to return home is going to be difficult without that passport; after all, that's the whole reason you bring the passport -- so you can return to the US.

And if your identity's stolen, it's going to feel like the end of the world.

Most cruisers don't go more than a few miles from the port, so getting back isn't really an issue. Genuine delays that would actually cause you to miss the ship are pretty rare. Usually when people miss the ship, it's a result of poor planning, and that IS within your control.

I'm not taking that bet,because I suspect that you are correct.

HOWEVER, unlike some people, I am off the ship early, never over indulge ashore (note, I said ashore:rolleyes:), know that there can be a difference between ship time and local time and have ALWAYS been back to the ship with at least an hour to spare. For people like me, I think theft is much more likely.

Thom

Yes, I agree. Any sensible person does just what you describe: Understands ship time vs. island time and returns with plenty of time to spare. For a person who makes good choices, delays are a very remote possibility. Whereas theft could happen to anyone.

Yes, I agree. Any sensible person does just what you describe: Understands ship time vs. island time and returns with plenty of time to spare. For a person who makes good choices, delays are a very remote possibility. Whereas theft could happen to anyone.

We docked in St. Petersburg three years ago where you had to use your passport AND a visitor's visa to get off AND back onto the ship. At the end of the visit, not a single person missed the ship. In contrast, over a dozen people had their passports stolen. Admittedly, St. Petersburg is an extreme example. But try to tell those dozen or so people how much safer their passports were on their person. :(

I would bet many more people lose their passports than miss the ship. No statistics to prove it, just a guess based on what I have read on these forums over the years.

Edited by fortinweb

I have looked at statistics for years trying to tease out the actual figures (hard to come by) but I remain convinced that more people have their passports stolen than miss the ship. Of course, I am thinking more of non-Caribbean cruises. Skilled pickpockets are active in many locations, and US passports are worth a lot.

I am a fairly savvy traveler and I had my wallet stolen from a zipped crossbody bag in Barcelona without me even being aware of it. Had my passport not been in my hotel safe, it would also have been gone, I'm sure.

Given that I've been cruising for 40+ years and have never once come close to missing the ship (despite doing many private excursions or doing it myself with public transportation). However, I've been pickpocketed (in Barcelona) and had my wallet snatched (in the US). I'll take my chances and leave the passport on the ship unless I'm required by local law to have it with me.

Yes, you can be delayed, but if you don't wait 'til the last minute to return to the ship, you're very unlikely to miss it. You should assume traffic will be slow and begin early enough to account for such delays. If your cab has an accident, you're just the passenger -- you can leave and get a different cab. If you become ill or injured, you're better off making your way back to the ship (even if it's uncomfortable), where you can receive first-world medical care. Of course, every situation is different, but I don't see any opinions anywhere in those thoughts.

I have been part of a group in which about 1/3 of the people were pickpocketed -- and not a one of them felt or suspected a thing. In fact, knowing we were in a big city known for such crimes, they thought they were taking proper precautions and were being quite careful. These people are GOOD at what they do.

The reality is that you're exceedingly likely to be just fine whether you take your passport off the ship or not; you're likely to enjoy your island time and walk right back to the ship as planned. However, if you do have an emergency, it's more likely to be loss or theft rather than illness or delay.

Lol gotta love that statement! :D

Edited by time4u2go

I know this is probably preaching but LEAVE IT ON THE SHIP. Carry a photo copy, carry an extra couple of passport pictures, if you have the passport card, take it if you want. BUT LEAVE THE REAL passport on the ship.

US, Canadian, Aussie and some European passports are worth their weight in gold. US passports without the chip (issued pre 2006) are going on the black market for $40-50,000. Every US military contractor working OCONUS (out of the USA) has been asked at least once if they want to sell their passport. There are HUGE theft rings in the Caribbean and Mexico that are PAID to steal passports by the drug cartels who also deal with the terror organizations.

US military contractors working all over the world except MAYBE in some places in Europe are actually advised to buy a passport cover from a country no one really wants to be from and has no easy access to the USA-like the Ukraine, Romania, etc. etc. NO ONE should be flashing that blue USA passport. Government contractors also have their passports confiscated when you arrive in country and you are working for DOD, Army, Homeland Security, most NGO's or any large US defense contractor unless it is ABSOLUTELY mandatory to carry it on your person (just had a friend return from working at the US Embassy in Moscow and he is one of the very few I have ever heard of that had possession of his passport the entire time he was in country.)

If it is lost or stolen while on your person, it will entail MUCH MORE HASSLE than simply missing the ship and trying to get a replacement. You MUST have a police report if it is stolen to get a replacement (otherwise, they will put you through a major interrogation because they will think you sold it). If you lost it, again, plan on a lot of hassle-where you have been, what you were doing, etc.etc.

I have been all over the world working in international logistics and for the DOD on a contract basis. I RARELY carry my passport except going through airports. Even in places where I have access to carry my passport, I lock it in a hotel safe or other secure place. One time, in Peru, I even left it at the US Embassy because I was going into an area where FARC was know to operate.

But carry it if you want-ISIS is just looking for the one stupid person who has their US or Canadian passport on their person that can get another "jihadi bride" into Syria, Yemen or Iraq and then send them back to the US or Canada with NO HASSLE. Do you want to be the person who had their passport stolen, passport ended up being used by the drug cartels or a terrorist who has a perfectly usable US passport which allows free passage into and out of the USA and causes major havoc after returning from the hate of ISIS overseas? I sure don't.