Should we carry our passports with us when we're in ports?

Ladysilver

I've been thinking, if something happened while we were in port, shouldn't we at least have our passports with us? Medical emergency, etc? Or should we leave them in the safe in our room? :confused:

I wouldn't recommend taking your passport ashore with you. If you lose it you're in trouble. You're much better off making a xerox copy of it and taking that around with you. We've done this before and it works great and easier to keep in your wallet or purse.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

We always carry our passports with us ashore (although we recently got new ones with the card, so we might just take the card ashore next time).

We normally cruise Princess, and I understand that if you don't make it back to the ship they will look in your room (presumably the safe) for your passport and leave it ashore with their local agent so you could collect it from them in the event of an emergency -- I would guess that Royal Caribbean does something similar.

I wouldn't recommend taking your passport ashore with you. If you lose it you're in trouble. You're much better off making a xerox copy of it and taking that around with you. We've done this before and it works great and easier to keep in your wallet or purse.

Jonathan

Be advised: If you don't carry your passport in a foreign port, you'll really be no better off by having a Xerox copy of it. Should you find yourself in a foreign port and need to return to the USA via an airline, you will not be able to re-enter the USA without a passport.

If you lose your passport in a foreign port, a visit to a US Embassy or Consulate will be required to re-issue one. While having a photocopy may help the agent at the Embassy or Consulate, it has NO validity as an official document.

Edited by footzz

We always carry our passports with us ashore (although we recently got new ones with the card, so we might just take the card ashore next time).

We normally cruise Princess, and I understand that if you don't make it back to the ship they will look in your room (presumably the safe) for your passport and leave it ashore with their local agent so you could collect it from them in the event of an emergency -- I would guess that Royal Caribbean does something similar.

Honestly I doubt that is the case. leaving passport with dock agent for a couple reasons. First they are never really sure you haven't returned, that you haven't really just managed to get on without getting your card registered. Next they then do the paging to purser. By that time gangways are usually up etc. I can't really see them entering and emptying your safe etc until they have already left the dock.

I always take my passport because figure besides disembarking that will be where I will need it if I ever do. Break a leg or other medical emergency and miss the ship you will need it to get back to the country via air. Copy is good for information but you will still have to wait until new one is issued in that consulate or whatever.

The passport card is very limited, like for people that live on NY and Canadian border and cross daily. Have no idea why most people buy one, nearly useless.

From official site :

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html#Card

Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

George in NY

This has been the subject of debate for years and there doesn't seem to be a real consensus on which practice is nryyrt. While I often fail to practice my own belief and do leave the ship without my passport, I wouldn't be happy if I missed the ship and my passport was "safe" aboard the ship. I know that some claim that the staff will retrieve my passport from my room and give it to the port agent, but I'm not so sure that will happen in many instances (what if it is somewhere else in my room other than in the safe?) Just how long will they delay sailing while someone searches for your passport, assuming they even know that you don't have your passport with you?

If you can safeguard your wallet and valuables you should be equally able to secure your passport if you take it with you when off the ship.

It is basically a judgment call so do whichever you feel most comfortable with. At a minimum, carrying a photocopy of your passport might at least speed the issuance of a replacement passport if needed. Whatever you do, you won't be stranded forever in whatever country you find yourself in and the US government offers alternative ways for you to prove your citizenship.

Unless the ship has taken it, I always take it with me. If for any reason I miss the ship, I'll be able to fly out to the next port. I always wear a document belt that sits underneath my shirt/shorts/trousers. On the world cruise, I took a photocopy with the port agent details written on the back too. Luckily never needed any of them, but that's why we take out travel insurance too, isn't it?

This has been the subject of debate for years and there doesn't seem to be a real consensus on which practice is nryyrt. While I often fail to practice my own belief and do leave the ship without my passport, I wouldn't be happy if I missed the ship and my passport was "safe" aboard the ship. I know that some claim that the staff will retrieve my passport from my room and give it to the port agent, but I'm not so sure that will happen in many instances (what if it is somewhere else in my room other than in the safe?) Just how long will they delay sailing while someone searches for your passport, assuming they even know that you don't have your passport with you?

If you can safeguard your wallet and valuables you should be equally able to secure your passport if you take it with you when off the ship.

It is basically a judgment call so do whichever you feel most comfortable with. At a minimum, carrying a photocopy of your passport might at least speed the issuance of a replacement passport if needed. Whatever you do, you won't be stranded forever in whatever country you find yourself in and the US government offers alternative ways for you to prove your citizenship.

Don't know how often it happens, but I have personally seen the ship staff deliver passports to people at the cruise port when someone has missed the ship.

Edited by bouhunter

I thought for EU cruises they actually recommend leaving passports onboard so that it can't be stolen or lost, which is what we do for our Caribbean cruises. I have high res scans of ours encrypted/stored online, plus we carry copies (as well as US DL for photo ID). I realize they aren't useful for travel, but they can expedite replacement if you can't get the ship to leave your with the agent.

If you do higher risk private excursions that also run the risk of missing the ship then yes, I'd carry them with you.

I have always taken my passport on shore (besides when I was on Coco Cay or Labadee). If there is an emergency I have it in case. Plus it is another form of ID (for whatever reason). Plus, I would never enter a foreign country without it, even though you technically don't need it when visiting ports.

Be advised: If you don't carry your passport in a foreign port, you'll really be no better off by having a Xerox copy of it. Should you find yourself in a foreign port and need to return to the USA via an airline, you will not be able to re-enter the USA without a passport.

If you lose your passport in a foreign port, a visit to a US Embassy or Consulate will be required to re-issue one. While having a photocopy may help the agent at the Embassy or Consulate, it has NO validity as an official document.

According to the Dept of State page- http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

It IS a good idea to have a photocopy of the passport.

What Do I Need to Replace my Passport Overseas?

The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly. Please provide:

A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)

Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)

Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)

Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)

Police Report, if available

DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)

DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)

The photocopy can be used as evidence of US citizenship. So the port required ID + the seapass card + the copy looks to be enough to get a replacement in case of emergency.

I know that some claim that the staff will retrieve my passport from my room and give it to the port agent, but I'm not so sure that will happen in many instances (what if it is somewhere else in my room other than in the safe?) Just how long will they delay sailing while someone searches for your passport, assuming they even know that you don't have your passport with you?

I have personally seen it happen.

I've been thinking, if something happened while we were in port, shouldn't we at least have our passports with us? Medical emergency, etc? Or should we leave them in the safe in our room? :confused:

The passport stays in the safe. The only port that it was required in all of our cruises was in Croatia right after the war. With Croatia being part of the EU, I'm not even sure that it is required. The only ID that we take with us is a credit card, health insurance card, and our driver's license. .

Leave it in your in-room safe.

Your chances of being delayed on the island are very slight, and even if you do have a medical emergency, you're better off returning to the ship (and seeking medical treatment onboard) than trying to locate a hospital on the island. As long as you don't wait 'til the last minute, even a sprained ankle or similar shouldn't prevent you from getting back to the ship -- you just might need to take a taxi and then get some help to hobble back. You have much control over whether you start back to the ship on time.

However your chances of being pickpocked are pretty good. Some criminals make it their life's mission to steal, and they're good at it. Your passport is worth big money to them, and if they get it, you're really in trouble. You have little control over whether someone picks you as the target of his next crime.

I thought for EU cruises they actually recommend leaving passports onboard so that it can't be stolen or lost...
No passport controls exist between countries that are signatories to the Schengen Agreement, NOT a function of belonging to the EU. There is considerable crossover between Schengen Zone and EU, but they are NOT identical (there are 22 countries who are members of both the EU and Schengen; 4 countries who belong to Schengen but not the EU; 6 countries that belong to the EU but not Schengen, and 3 additional mini-countires that are not part of Schengen officially, but are de facto since they have no border controls with Schengen countries). [And none of these groups match exactly with Eurozone countries, or EU Customs Union, etc, etc]
...With Croatia being part of the EU, I'm not even sure that it is required...
Croatia is now in EU, but NOT in Schengen, so officially you have to have a passport to enter or leave, but often they don't bother to ask for it.

Thom

I have my passport with me now, in my purse, whilst sitting at work. We always carry them with us when we travel, domestic or international. I'm more likely to lose it in my house than anywhere else. I use it for ID whenever I fly (easier to get out of the inside pocket of my purse it is digging my driver's license out of that too-tight slot in my wallet.

(Plus, I kind of like the panache of the feeling I get from even having a passport..."ah, yes, I'm an international jet-setter, dontcha know..." ;) :D)

Keep it with you when you get off and leave a copy in the safe. You did not specify where you are traveling but we did not have to relinquish ours or present it at all last year except when landing in Paris since Croatia is now part of the EU. A bit off subject and lesson learned from a small scare . Make sure that you travel and carry at least one different credit card than your spouse / traveling companion. While in Florence we thought for a short time that my husbands wallet had been pick pocketed. We normally only use one CC but he had an extra one in his wallet that I did not have with me. If we had to have cancelled it, it would have made the remainder of our day and the next (overnight in Rome) allot more difficult.

Never heard of a single instance that this has happened. Comes time for the ship to leave, I have a hard time believing that someone rummages through your safe to see if there is a passport in there.