Ruby vs Crown-what's difference?

tjcletsgo

Just got off the Crown and I have to say, it's not my favorite ship. Long lines everwhere, delayed boarding (no noro so don't know why but didn't begin until 1:15), delayed sailing (6:15), late to every port (not a long wait). I also don't like the pool areas, the deck above is much wider so it makes the pool area very "cave" like to me.

The ship was beautiful though, just stuffed to the gills with humanity:eek: I'm seeking another ship for my next sailing and my only other option is the Ruby.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Janie

No real difference.

In my opinion, the 'addition' of Riviera Deck puts too many people into essentially the same public spaces as on the Diamond and Sapphire (that don't have that deck of staterooms).

Just got off the Crown and I have to say, it's not my favorite ship. Long lines everwhere, delayed boarding (no noro so don't know why but didn't begin until 1:15), delayed sailing (6:15), late to every port (not a long wait). I also don't like the pool areas, the deck above is much wider so it makes the pool area very "cave" like to me.

The delayed boarding and sailing might have more to do with the port than the ship.

I like the Crown and sister ships. When Princess first added the Riviera Deck to the Grand-class design, I thought I'd never want to sail a ship with all the extra passengers. But we have sailed on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby several times. Fortunately we haven't run into the problems that others have experienced with crowds. Perhaps it's because we don't care to be on the open decks until later in the afternoon because I try to avoid getting too much sun.

I've returned from the Crown on December 6 and l loved the ship. She is stunning!

The delayed embarkation is unfortunate but it wasn't too long. Lines everywhere? Not for us! We try to avoid certain areas at certain times.

To the OP, you could fly to San Francisco or wait for the Grand or Star to make it to LA...

Only diff is on the Ruby/Riviera deck aft facing, 4 balcony cabins that are OV's on similar ships.

Weeellllll, since we are splitting hairs, those four cabins have portholes on Crown, and regular OV windows on Emerald ;)

The ship was beautiful though, just stuffed to the gills with humanity:eek: I'm seeking another ship for my next sailing and my only other option is the Ruby.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Janie

I gotta say I felt the same way. Crowds everywhere. You can barely walk through the pool area with so many chairs and tables in the way. Add to that 2 ping pong tables in the middle of everything, and ya gotta wonder whose idea was that. Ping pong balls falling on anyone near the table.

Have a booking in March on the Ruby and may have to reconsider. May just have to stick to the Grand Class ships.

And they shrunk the seating areas at the aft adult pool. POOP

Weeellllll, since we are splitting hairs, those four cabins have portholes on Crown, and regular OV windows on Emerald ;)

Since the ship's are exact sisters... I have to say, I loved the ship. Most of the embarkation delays could happen with any ship, any cruise line.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

I gotta say I felt the same way. Crowds everywhere. You can barely walk through the pool area with so many chairs and tables in the way. Add to that 2 ping pong tables in the middle of everything, and ya gotta wonder whose idea was that. Ping pong balls falling on anyone near the table.

Have a booking in March on the Ruby and may have to reconsider. May just have to stick to the Grand Class ships.

Sillyjilly, you seem to cruise mostly from the West Coast. The Sapphire is gone and the Golden will be going to Australia... that just leaves you with the Grand and the Star...

Sillyjilly, you seem to cruise mostly from the West Coast. The Sapphire is gone and the Golden will be going to Australia... that just leaves you with the Grand and the Star...

I like the Star, but she's San Fran, isn't she? Is my only choice from Long Beach gonna be the Grand?

DH will be happy because it'll slow me down on cruising too much. :D:eek::D

I want my Sapphire/Diamond back. Can you hear me stomping my feet and sucking my thumb? lol

I'll take the Island or Coral too. :)

Edited by Sillyjilly

I agree, Jill!

I like the Star, but she's San Fran, isn't she? Is my only choice from Long Beach gonna be the Grand?

DH will be happy because it'll slow me down on cruising too much. :D:eek:

I want my Sapphire/Diamond back. Can you hear me stomping my feet and sucking my thumb? lol

Princess sails outa San Pedro and you may not like the Coral and Island after they are butchered. I saw crowds on the Golden that were of the same level as on the Emerald and Ruby. The only time the crowds bothered me was the day we got off the ship. I do agree with you in that the Diamond and Sapphire are my favorite Princess ships. I might have to take anothe Australia/NZ cruise......:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

DH will be happy because it'll slow me down on cruising too much. :D:eek::D

Do what I did on the Crown... I avoided lines at dinner by going traditional... I also spent the bulk of my time at the aft pool. I really had a great time, no lines, no real problems of any kind. Another of my favorite spots was the Promenade deck. I also knew to come early at the Wheelhouse for the 2 for 1 happy hour. Thus, I got served my to die for raspberry martinis!!!

Yes, we have the Crown and will have the Ruby.. but I can and did adapt, so you can too!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

DH will be happy because it'll slow me down on cruising too much. :eek::D

I want my Sapphire/Diamond back. Can you hear me stomping my feet and sucking my thumb?

Oh I really feel sorry for you, San Fran or Long Beach. :p

My choice LA/Houston/Ft Lauderdale. Ba Humbug. :rolleyes:

Wish I only had to go a maximum of 300 miles to the port. :cool:

Do what I did on the Crown... I avoided lines at dinner by going traditional... I also spent the bulk of my time at the aft pool. I really had a great time, no lines, no real problems of any kind. Another of my favorite spots was the Promenade deck. I also knew to come early at the Wheelhouse for the 2 for 1 happy hour. Thus, I got served my to die for raspberry martinis!!!

Yes, we have the Crown and will have the Ruby.. but I can and did adapt, so you can too!

I didn't have problems with lines. Just lot of people and chairs blocking my way everywhere I went. How can they add an extra deck without making the ship and venues bigger. GRRRRRR. Not sure if I'm willing to adapt.

I didn't have problems with lines. Just lot of people and chairs blocking my way everywhere I went. How can they add an extra deck without making the ship and venues bigger. GRRRRRR. Not sure if I'm willing to adapt.

The Wheelhouse, Sabatinis, Crown Grill, International Cafe, and the buffet are all larger on Crown and her sisters than on Golden and hers.

The late departure was 'partly' due to missed air connections. I was returning from Dallas on the 13th, and there were at least 20 people from various places that were stuck onto my flight toward LA. These poor people were really sweating it. Shuttle bus was slated to leave terminal 6 at 3:15pm (our flight landed 2:45pm terminal 4). I was glad to see they held the ship for these people.

Until reading some posts in this thread, I never realized there were ships with an extra deck of cabins. I only have made trips on Golden, and have to agree some public venus filled up real early. We are planning a trip on Crown in April...the extra people onboard should be interesting.