I need help -- which cruise to do

cl.klink

I want to surprise my wife with a cruise for her 60th birthday (she's not happy about that number). Her birthday is April. I have been able to get off of work for all of memorial day week (a month later), so I can squeeze in a 1 week or so cruise, but not sure I can get any more time off. So, on her birthday I'll say "Surprise, next month we're cruising to ___."

We have loved our 3 Celebrity cruises, never been on another line. We've liked sea days, being on the ship. We love the food and feel of Celebrity, but to be fair, do not know how it compares to Princess or HAL, both of which have good sailings for the week I can get off. We don't need party or nightclub atmospheres, nor a ship with bumper cars or pools with water slides. We like ports that have physical beauty or interesting geology, or where we can get to know an interesting culture, but sea days are fine too. We've already planned to do Celebrity Infinity to South America in 2016 and Antartica in 2017, and she has said she wants to see Alaska some time. Here are my options:

5/24 sailing to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit. PRO - we like Celebrity, can rack up Celebrity "Captain's Club" points, we'll like the sea days, she'll think Bermuda is pretty, easy flight for us to go from Missouri to New York. CON - not sure how much she wants another island/beach experience. Caribbean was OK but did not love it (except Puerto Rico).

5/22 saling on Celebrity Solstice Seattle round trip to Alaska. PRO - We still like Celebrity (same as above). She can see Alaska, cheaper option. CON - Will be hard for me to get off work to make that date - tight squeeze. Does not get us up to Denali. A bit longer air travel.

5/22 sailing on Celebrity Millennium from Vancouver to Seward. PRO - We still like Celebrity (Same as above). She can see Alaska. Can see Denali. CON - hard for me to get off 5/22. More expensive cruise and air travel, also long air travel coming home. A bit longer air travel.

5/23 and 5/24 Alaska sailings on Princess and HAL (various options). PRO - She sees Alaska. Dates work out well. Some less expensive options. CON - never sailed HAL, Princess (will we like?), won't get CC points, depending on option may still not get up to Denali. Longer air travel.

5/23 HAL sailing to Canada/NE. PRO - She loved Boston and Bar Harbor on a special trip we did when we were young(er). I think she would really like Montreal and Quebec City. CON - never been on HAL (will we like?), won't add CC points, I think she might think of this as more of a trip that I've wanted to do (I mentioned once and she said something like "sure, that'd be fine").

So, in short, if we go to Alaska (which I think she might prefer), it'd likely not be Celebrity and would be either HAL or Princess (and which should it be?). Else it's NE/Canada on HAL or Bermuda on Celebrity Summit. I'm leading to a HAL or Princess Alaska option probably over a Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. She'll like any option, truly, but I am vacillating and conflicted.

Help advise me, folks.

- Joel

Since you have time constraints, it makes sense to just do a 7 day round trip from Seattle or Vancouver and be done with it. Cheaper and easier air. Both HAL and Princess are the go-to lines for Alaska as they have been doing it well for years. The Vancouver-Seward is best if you can tack on days for Denali, and that doesn't seem to fit your plan. Another trip, another time - you will want to go back.

Alaska would be a first for both of you and the 7 day round trip would give you a taste of it. Try to get an itinerary that does Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay.

Actually, the dates you have in mind usually go on sale in March and the weather is usually good. Prices get higher as June and July come.

Alaska, whichever HAL cruise fits your time frame. HAL does Alaska well and you can cover what you can't get to on your next trip. You will be back. We have taken three Alaska cruises, two RCCL and one HAL 14 day. Hal was the best. I would go again in a heartbeat on Hal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you have time constraints, it makes sense to just do a 7 day round trip from Seattle or Vancouver and be done with it. Cheaper and easier air. Both HAL and Princess are the go-to lines for Alaska as they have been doing it well for years. The Vancouver-Seward is best if you can tack on days for Denali, and that doesn't seem to fit your plan. Another trip, another time - you will want to go back.

Alaska would be a first for both of you and the 7 day round trip would give you a taste of it. Try to get an itinerary that does Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay.

Actually, the dates you have in mind usually go on sale in March and the weather is usually good. Prices get higher as June and July come.

Thanks! If the May sailings go on sale in March, should I wait till then to book? Or, can I book now and then if a sale price is lower ask to have the fare changed to the lower one?

- Joel

Speaking from experience and the fact that you indicate that you like ports with interesting geology and natural beauty I recommend the Canada NE cruise with HAL. We weren't expecting a whole lot and ended up being blown away by Quebec City, Charlottetown and part of the Cabot Trail in NS. Since it was springtime and the Spring runoff in the rivers St. Anne's Canyon in Quebec was wild, as were the Montmorency Falls. We've done both Celebrity and Holland America and have enjoyed both. We don't really consider racking up points on either line but go with whatever itinerary suits us at the time. Hope this helps

You list as a "con" on several of the options that since they are not on Celebrity, you won't be earning CC points with that line. May I suggest that should not be a consideration, especially for only a 7-day cruise.

I have lots of cruises and days on HAL, but I also have a few cruises on 6 other lines. Every once in a while I have thought that those days might have gotten me higher up the perqs pecking order sooner had I sailed on HAL. But then I realize that each of those other cruises was an enjoyable time, and a learning experience that am glad I had. I do not begrudge them.

It's often posted on this board that if you like Celebrity, you'll like HAL. So, why not select a cruise you know you will both like (Alaska is great!), and try something new. Besides, in Alaska, it's the itinerary that matters most.

Speaking from experience and the fact that you indicate that you like ports with interesting geology and natural beauty I recommend the Canada NE cruise with HAL. We weren't expecting a whole lot and ended up being blown away by Quebec City, Charlottetown and part of the Cabot Trail in NS. Since it was springtime and the Spring runoff in the rivers St. Anne's Canyon in Quebec was wild, as were the Montmorency Falls. We've done both Celebrity and Holland America and have enjoyed both. We don't really consider racking up points on either line but go with whatever itinerary suits us at the time. Hope this helps

Sounds great, thanks!

The late May HAL alaska sailings on the Zaandam (a very lovely ship) are selling at considerable discounts right now. Not a whole lot of room for those to go lower ... you might want to have a closer look at those.

Carla

I saw that, yes. Thanks.

You list as a "con" on several of the options that since they are not on Celebrity, you won't be earning CC points with that line. May I suggest that should not be a consideration, especially for only a 7-day cruise.

I have lots of cruises and days on HAL, but I also have a few cruises on 6 other lines. Every once in a while I have thought that those days might have gotten me higher up the perqs pecking order sooner had I sailed on HAL. But then I realize that each of those other cruises was an enjoyable time, and a learning experience that am glad I had. I do not begrudge them.

It's often posted on this board that if you like Celebrity, you'll like HAL. So, why not select a cruise you know you will both like (Alaska is great!), and try something new. Besides, in Alaska, it's the itinerary that matters most.

Wisely put. Appreciate.

- Joel

Nobody, I believe, has mentioned the advantage if leaving out of Vancouver rather than Seattle for an Alaska cruise. If you leave from Seattle, you head out to open water directly going south of Vancouver island to the sea. You spend your first evening and the next sea day off the west coast of Vancouver island missing some truly amazing scenery along the inside passage. If you leave from Vancouver you spend that time between Vancouver island and the BC mainland where you get great vistas and up close and personal looks at coastal communities instead of an island in the far distance if you go on the outside route. The same holds true for the return trip too. Even though you may come to victoria to make contact with a foreign country, you will come at it from the open ocean side as you return to Seattle. You can get from sea to Vancouver by bus if the air fares are too high into van YVR for you. Just my two cents worth....have a wonderful trip wherever you go.

Nobody, I believe, has mentioned the advantage if leaving out of Vancouver rather than Seattle for an Alaska cruise. If you leave from Seattle, you head out to open water directly going south of Vancouver island to the sea. You spend your first evening and the next sea day off the west coast of Vancouver island missing some truly amazing scenery along the inside passage. If you leave from Vancouver you spend that time between Vancouver island and the BC mainland where you get great vistas and up close and personal looks at coastal communities instead of an island in the far distance if you go on the outside route. The same holds true for the return trip too. Even though you may come to victoria to make contact with a foreign country, you will come at it from the open ocean side as you return to Seattle. You can get from sea to Vancouver by bus if the air fares are too high into van YVR for you. Just my two cents worth....have a wonderful trip wherever you go.

Thanks. Good point.

- Joel

Oops, forgot to vote for HAL. Smaller ship, more olde worldly to do the voyage to a quiet, secluded, and spectacular area of the world. Brass and glass and graciousness win over outdoor water slides and big screen sports events for us on this contemplative journey.

I agree with Muffin. Having departed both Seattle and Vancouver and both on HAL, the Vancouver option is far preferable for the reasons outlined above and also for another reason. Both times out of Seattle I got really seasick as the open seas through the Straits tend to be ROUGH. There is also nothing much to look at the first day of the cruise. Cold, grey open rough seas. Going out of Vancouver, first you have the beautiful city of Vancouver to spend some time in, then you immediately enter nice Alaskan scenery + the sea sickness thing is off the table. As to the Victoria Stop: both times on HAL-Seattle itinerary the stop in Victoria was from about 6PM to late at night. This required rushing around on your last night, eating dinner quickly, rushing for the transport, etc. Not a great stop even though Victoria is nice--a full day there would have been much better. It is not a plus for the Seattle departure option. Go with HAL for sure, but leave from Vancouver. IMO

Having done both Seattle and Vancouver departs, my vote would be Vancouver for all the reasons mentioned. Seattle was great only because it gave us access to the 14 day cruise but I missed the trip through the inside passage all the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We like ports that have physical beauty or interesting geology, or where we can get to know an interesting culture, but sea days are fine too.

We've already planned to do Celebrity Infinity to South America in 2016 and Antartica in 2017, and she has said she wants to see Alaska some time.

Help advise me, folks.

- Joel

Nobody, I believe, has mentioned the advantage if leaving out of Vancouver rather than Seattle for an Alaska cruise.

Hi Joel! ... Hope we will meet while we all are on the Infinity in Antarctica!:D

As far as your questions here ... I completely agree with Alaska AND leaving from Vancouver. We have done Alaska twice (once from Vancouver and once from Seattle). For "physical beauty or interesting geology", you can't ask for a better cruise. The inland waterway out of Vancouver is amazing. Glacier Bay is stunning. And I could go on and on.

If, for you, like some folks, airfare is a deal breaker and you pick Seattle you may be able to see Sitka (the original capital of Russian America) and well worth the time to visit.

As for HAL vs Princess, we've only done HAL to Alaska but, I know you would enjoy it. And for your wife's 60th birthday, it's hard to beat starting off with a pre-night at the Pan Pacific Hotel and awakening to the view across the harbor as your ship sails right up to the hotel. (The terminal is attached to the hotel.):)

Cheers!

Ship out the window:

P1000099_0753.jpg

Can't beat the scenery:

eaglepair493.jpg

Just thought I'd weigh in here. Our first cruise ever was to Alaska on HAL in 2007. We loved it. So much so that we took our son and his fiancée on the same cruise in 2013.

Haven't been on Celebrity but we are loyal to HAL now. We know what to expect and we like it.

ENJOY!

Hi Joel! ... Hope we will meet while we all are on the Infinity in Antarctica!:D

As far as your questions here ... I completely agree with Alaska AND leaving from Vancouver. We have done Alaska twice (once from Vancouver and once from Seattle). For "physical beauty or interesting geology", you can't ask for a better cruise. The inland waterway out of Vancouver is amazing. Glacier Bay is stunning. And I could go on and on.

If, for you, like some folks, airfare is a deal breaker and you pick Seattle you may be able to see Sitka (the original capital of Russian America) and well worth the time to visit.

As for HAL vs Princess, we've only done HAL to Alaska but, I know you would enjoy it. And for your wife's 60th birthday, it's hard to beat starting off with a pre-night at the Pan Pacific Hotel and awakening to the view across the harbor as your ship sails right up to the hotel. (The terminal is attached to the hotel.):)

Thanks! We'll compare notes on sail away in Buenos Aires!

- Joel

We have taken 5 Alaska cruises (4 on HAL and 1 on Disney) and will be going again in June (on HAL Westerdam round-trip out of Seattle). So my vote is ANY CRUISE TO ALASKA ON ANY HAL SHIP. My preferred HAL ship would be the Zaandam and my preferred embarkation port would be Vancouver IF you have time to spend a few days in Vancouver before or after the cruise; otherwise, it would be a round-trip out of Seattle. If you are Catholic, an added bonus to taking a HAL cruise is that EVERY HAL cruise has a Catholic priest on board and daily Mass is offered. You can't go wrong on any HAL cruise to Alaska, so make your choice and start planning.

Rod

We have done Alaska on HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. In our minds all of them are similar, although Celebrity seems to be a bit more active (was it the CC group we were with?) than HAL and Princess.

In Alaska it's the itinerary that matters. The geology is spectacular near the glaciers, so choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier (Tracy Arm is problematic in May; too much ice in the fjord). Each city has it's own personality. Juneau has the most to do, but Skagway is my husband's favorite and Sitka is mine.

I think you can't go wrong with any cruise you choose.

Edited by towhee

Thanks for so many good responses. Appreciate the good help and insights.

I think I'm down to Princess or HAL for a southbound itinerary (see the most stuff, start off with the most dramatic change from home): 5/24 Seward --> Vancouver sailing on HAL Zaandam (best price, easier date for me to reach Anchorage in time) or 5/23 Whittier --> Vancouver on Star Princess. Seems like a coin flip to me, so leaning to the HAL option, unless someone here wants to tell me I'm crazy (about THIS issue, I mean).

- Joel

Great to hear!!

we will be on the seven day southbound with you doing the northbound before as well for a b2b as we live in Vancouver and it doesn't get any easier for us than that.

We spent 54 days on the Zaandam in three separate cruises in 2011/12. She is a wonderful ship and we can't wait to board her again :) marvelous crew too

Carla