Europe...Anthem, Allure, Celebrity Equinox?

lt9921

Recently decided that we wanted to start looking into a Europe cruise for June 2015. Currently have three options.

7 Night France & Spain, Anthem of the Seas

Southampton - Gijon, Spain - Bilbao, Spain - St. Peter Port, Channel Islands - Le Havre (Paris), France - Southampton

7 Night Western Med, Allure of the Seas

Rome - Naples - Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - Marseilles (Provence), France - La Spezia (Florence/Pisa) - Rome

7 Night Greece & Turkey, Celebrity Equinox

Athens - Rhodes, Greece - Santorini - Mykonos - Ephesus, Turkey - Istanbul (Overnight)

Anthem would be on a brand new ship, but reading lots of negativity about Quantum, do you think the bugs will be worked out before the launch of Anthem? Not a fan of Dynamic Dining, but am willing to try it.

No negatives I can find about Allure, except for Dynamic Dining, but oh well…

The Equinox cruise looks very interesting and is the cheapest (not be much), also, we like traditional dining. But we love Royal and don't know if it would be worth it to try Celebrity.

Also, what are your opinions on the itineraries, which one would you rather take? Not really familiar with the Anthem's ports other than Paris?

Actually, I've done the Equinox last summer, booked the Anthem for the Canaries and have a courtesy hold for Allure 4th June, same itinerary.

I don't find the Anthem's itinerary (Gijon, LeHavre, etc.) very appealing....

I've very much enjoyed the Equinox and hesitated a lot between the Eclipse and Anthem for Canaries. In the end, Bilbao, which Anthem visits, clinched it. If the itinerary was the same, I prefer Celebrity. They give u discount for Loyalty after just one cruise, whereas Royal are more stingy....

Allure - me thinking it's in the "neighborhood", let's go for the "ship" :)

We've been to Barcelona, Naples, Rome and Livorno, so the new sites for us will be Palma & Marseille....

We were actually booked on the Anthem but are now booked on the Allure. We thought it would be fun to do the new ship, but the colder weather in the ports of call on the Anthem Vs Allure changed our mind. In June, it was an average of 50 degrees F for the Anthem ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, I've done the Equinox last summer, booked the Anthem for the Canaries and have a courtesy hold for Allure 4th June, same itinerary.

I don't find the Anthem's itinerary (Gijon, LeHavre, etc.) very appealing....

I've very much enjoyed the Equinox and hesitated a lot between the Eclipse and Anthem for Canaries. In the end, Bilbao, which Anthem visits, clinched it. If the itinerary was the same, I prefer Celebrity. They give u discount for Loyalty after just one cruise, whereas Royal are more stingy....

Allure - me thinking it's in the "neighborhood", let's go for the "ship" :)

We've been to Barcelona, Naples, Rome and Livorno, so the new sites for us will be Palma & Marseille....

Thanks for your response. If we book the Allure we'll be on your sailing. :) Also, thanks for your opinion about the Anthem's itinerary, I have no experience with sailing in Europe!

We were actually booked on the Anthem but are now booked on the Allure. We thought it would be fun to do the new ship, but the colder weather in the ports of call on the Anthem Vs Allure changed our mind. In June, it was an average of 50 degrees F for the Anthem ports.

The Canary Islands in June will be very hot and apart from perhaps leaving and returning from/to the UK the whole cruise should be warm, even then it could still be very warm in the UK in June.

The Canary Islands in June will be very hot and apart from perhaps leaving and returning from/to the UK the whole cruise should be warm, even then it could still be very warm in the UK in June.

Not all of the Anthem's itineraries go to the Canaries. The most southernly ports on the Anthem cruise I'm considering are Gijon and Bilbao, Spain.

Edited by lt9921

Recently decided that we wanted to start looking into a Europe cruise for June 2015. Currently have three options.

7 Night France & Spain, Anthem of the Seas

Southampton - Gijon, Spain - Bilbao, Spain - St. Peter Port, Channel Islands - Le Havre (Paris), France - Southampton

7 Night Western Med, Allure of the Seas

Rome - Naples - Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - Marseilles (Provence), France - La Spezia (Florence/Pisa) - Rome

7 Night Greece & Turkey, Celebrity Equinox

Athens - Rhodes, Greece - Santorini - Mykonos - Ephesus, Turkey - Istanbul (Overnight)

Anthem would be on a brand new ship, but reading lots of negativity about Quantum, do you think the bugs will be worked out before the launch of Anthem? Not a fan of Dynamic Dining, but am willing to try it.

No negatives I can find about Allure, except for Dynamic Dining, but oh well…

The Equinox cruise looks very interesting and is the cheapest (not be much), also, we like traditional dining. But we love Royal and don't know if it would be worth it to try Celebrity.

Also, what are your opinions on the itineraries, which one would you rather take? Not really familiar with the Anthem's ports other than Paris?

One point to remember is the EU and the VAT issue: Only Equinox is going outside EU (Turkey) giving it a free VAT cruise.

We were on Adventures last cruise in Europe, and it had the same itinerary s Anthem, only stopping in Spain and France. Which meant that all purchases on board had a 20% UK vat added. And some additional 10% tax on beverage purchases in Spain. The latter did not effect us as we had prepurchased beverage package (Premium) but I did see notes on bar tables about it. The alcohol store was completely closed during the cruise.

So I would choose Equinox as it has the best ports IMHO. How is it price wise? I have not checked other prices but Allure's European Summer is grazy highly priced at the moment.

Med-Europe is the only area where I really look at the itinerary. Mostly because the Barcelona-Rome route is incredibly port intensive, and that the ports normally require long travel days to the major highlights.

For that kind of cruise, I would really question whether I want to sail on a ship like the Allure. Not because I don't like her and her twin, but because they are so much that the two days at sea you get in the Caribbean is really good to search the ship.

Maybe now that we've sailed the twins 3 times now.. but still- there's a lot of travel time to get places. But it's also hard to get over the Allure/Oasis premium when you are on such a port intensive cruise, too.

But that's just me.

So I would choose Equinox as it has the best ports IMHO. How is it price wise? I have not checked other prices but Allure's European Summer is grazy highly priced at the moment.

Allure is several hundred dollars more than Equinox. I think that would be worth it to us, but I'm still considering the Equinox cruise.

Edited by lt9921

The question is, whether you've been to those ports (Barcelona, Rome, Paris) before....

Our last year itinerary on Equinox started in Venice, then Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakalon, Santorini, Kusadasi and overnight Istanbul. Very port intensive, no sea days.

But, as I said, I've already been on the Allure itinerary, I'm going only for the "ship", and I really don't mind being again a day in Barcelona [the food at the local market is amazing], again in Rome, Firenze/Pizza.

Last year I wanted to "taste" Dubrovnik, Corfu and Santorini, which for me were worth exactly the day in port. Been already to Istanbul and I'm not into "ruins" (Kusadasi). Dubrovnik was interesting, Corfu - beautiful, Santorini was the highlight of the cruise - simply amazing.

We live 10 min drive from a gorgeous sandy Med beach, we don't travel for hot weather/beaches. Today, as the rest of the week, we have temp of 73-74F...

When we booked Europe, it was a very big trip for us and we choose by the ports, not the ship. We've been on the Allure and it is a fantastic ship, so much to do and so much time spent on the ship. so if it were me choosing, i'd choose ports over ship.

We've been to some of those, just keep in mind, Istanbul could get canceled due to the civil unrest in Turkey, that would be a last minute decision for the cruise, but always something to keep in mind. We went to Kushadasi (Ephesus) and LOVED it! We were alos in Rome, Sicily, Athens, and Crete. It was very port intensive, but thats why we were going on that specific trip. The week prior to ours RCC canceled the Athens stop because of problems in Greece, but it was all fine by our turn.

All of those stops sound great, We loved all of our stops, and would do it again if we could afford the trip over to Rome again, that was our biggest expense!

Also, we went in September, and the weather was perfect, nice breeze, warm/hot in the sun, but sometimes a light jacket was needed, perfect fall weather for us!

The question is, whether you've been to those ports (Barcelona, Rome, Paris) before....

Our last year itinerary on Equinox started in Venice, then Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakalon, Santorini, Kusadasi and overnight Istanbul. Very port intensive, no sea days.

But, as I said, I've already been on the Allure itinerary, I'm going only for the "ship", and I really don't mind being again a day in Barcelona [the food at the local market is amazing], again in Rome, Firenze/Pizza.

Last year I wanted to "taste" Dubrovnik, Corfu and Santorini, which for me were worth exactly the day in port. Been already to Istanbul and I'm not into "ruins" (Kusadasi). Dubrovnik was interesting, Corfu - beautiful, Santorini was the highlight of the cruise - simply amazing.

We live 10 min drive from a gorgeous sandy Med beach, we don't travel for hot weather/beaches. Today, as the rest of the week, we have temp of 73-74F...

We have never been on a cruise in Europe, so have never been to any ports. Later today I'm going to see if they're any other options on the Equinox, maybe an itinerary like the Allure instead of Greek Isles.

Love the Allure but not for Europe. That ship is the destination.

We spent 13 nights on the Equinox in June and it was one of the best cruises in almost 30 years of cruising. I prefer Celebrity over RCI for a number of reasons and the Solstice class ships are great. The Greek isles are amazing.

I have photos of the Equinox in the link below if interested.

The Quantum class ships do not interest me. First class of RCI ship that I will not have cruised.

Edited by cruisingator2

When we booked Europe, it was a very big trip for us and we choose by the ports, not the ship. We've been on the Allure and it is a fantastic ship, so much to do and so much time spent on the ship. so if it were me choosing, i'd choose ports over ship.

We've been to some of those, just keep in mind, Istanbul could get canceled due to the civil unrest in Turkey, that would be a last minute decision for the cruise, but always something to keep in mind. We went to Kushadasi (Ephesus) and LOVED it! We were alos in Rome, Sicily, Athens, and Crete. It was very port intensive, but thats why we were going on that specific trip. The week prior to ours RCC canceled the Athens stop because of problems in Greece, but it was all fine by our turn.

All of those stops sound great, We loved all of our stops, and would do it again if we could afford the trip over to Rome again, that was our biggest expense!

Also, we went in September, and the weather was perfect, nice breeze, warm/hot in the sun, but sometimes a light jacket was needed, perfect fall weather for us!

Our last Med cruise we had the sane stops on the Navigator and had an incredible time. We chose that ship due to the itinerary. If you want some very historic sites that is a great itinerary.

We are booked in the allure June 7 and again chose that ship because outside of Rome it was all new stops for us. And we love the Allure. Honestly we didn't look at too much else because our teen boys much prefer RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We did a Celebrity cruise in June that itinerary is miles better than the others Athens is good but Istanbul is great been there twice would go back anytime. Take the Celebrity one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Was your itinerary the exact one I'm considering?

Those ports will still be low 70's, even Southampton will be high 60's low 70's.

I was wrong on the 50s. I was just remembering it was too cold for us for beach weather. But when I looked up average June temps for the ports, I find Southampton to be average of 59 and the other ports to be low 60s. The Allure ports are maybe 10ish degrees higher average, but for us that makes a difference

Was your itinerary the exact one I'm considering?

We have been on 9/10 cruises in last 2.5 years all with Celebrity bar 1 on marina.We have been 4 times on equinox all great. Our itinerary was same bar 1 port.This and Baltic cruise were our favourites .If you need anymore information send me an email at stuart lake @btinternet.com with your land line telephone no and I will call

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I think the key reason for choosing a cruise in the Med is the itinerary and the Anthem itinerary doesn't look very exciting to me - Le Havre is a LONG way from Paris by the way. Also, the weather would be much less reliable and the seas potentially rougher on the sailing. The only attraction for that cruise, for me, would be sailing on the newest ship.

I have sailed on both Allure and Equinox and love both ships - even they they are very different. So your choice really should come down to what sort of places you like to visit and what appeals to you most about a port.

I've been to all the other ports (some of them many times) except Istanbul, which is on my bucket list and an overnight there would be very special. Each itinerary offers a wide variety of wonderful places to see and I think you need to take a look at what's on offer and what you would most enjoy. If you also want to take in some beach time then the Equinox is probably the best cruise for this.

Another consideration is whether you be able to spend some time before or after the cruise in the port of embarkation/debarkation - if so which place appeals to you most.

Whichever one you choose you will have a wonderful time. This is where I'm glad to live in Europe with so many budget airline options as we are doing exactly that itinerary on Allure next June but also doing an Eastern Med cruise - taking in most of the Equinox ports - in September :D