Quantum of the seas nickel and dime-ing going too far?

jtyw

We just embarked on a quantum of the seas journey and we cannot be more excited!!

That said, we have noticed that the pushing of extra charge items have been getting a little much. Many experiences now cost money, it could be as subtle as them offering bottled water at dinner (and slow at refilling glasses if you just ask for tap), many experiences that used to be free are now small charges.

There is now a $5 room service charge for free items at night. This is annoying since there aren't many free items left-- most common things like burgers, chicken wings, grilled salmon etc are now "$4.95 premium" on top of that.

Actually, there is only 5 (seriously) food items you can order that's not on the kids menu-- 2 soups, 1 salad, and 2 wraps. The rest are beverages (most of which cost $$$) and desserts. The windjammer of course is closed after 9 with no late night service, but it's a bit concerning.

Anyone else think that the charges on Quantum are getting a little much?

I have not been on Quantum, but the Points you listed are not exclusive to the Quantum.

I don´t think there is a mass market line on the market giving out free bottled water. They all charge for it and have been doing so for many many years. If your tap water is refilled slowly, that´s usually an individual service issue.

The room Service Charge at night is around for quite some years now as well on RCI, so again nothing new or exclusive to Quantum.

Does it go too far. IMO Nope.

I haven't been on the Quantum, but, I never paid for anything on a cruise ship that I didn't know the price beforehand and agree to it. If you don't want to get room service, don't get it.......:confused:

I think you've missed the point.

I have not been on Quantum, but the Points you listed are not exclusive to the Quantum.

I don´t think there is a mass market line on the market giving out free bottled water. They all charge for it and have been doing so for many many years. If your tap water is refilled slowly, that´s usually an individual service issue.

The room Service Charge at night is around for quite some years now as well on RCI, so again nothing new or exclusive to Quantum.

I'd like your views if you ever go on this ship.

I think the little extra fees have been around on all ships most lines for awhile. I don't mind, I can pick and choose. What I hope I don't experience on the Anthem is being constantly having someone in my face to sell me something. I don't like that.

On other Royal ships you can get hot breakfast from room service for free...not on Quantum.

Also on all other Royal ships you can get burgers, pizza etc from room service for free up until late at night when room service fee kicks in but not so on Quantum.

So yes Quantum room service menu is new and exclusive.

We are just off a 19-day B2B on the Quantum and did NOT feel like we were nickeled and dimed.

It was our choice not to use room service the way we somestimes do on other ships BUT it was not because of the fee. There are so many options for complimentary food that we had no desire to eat in our room.

Our problem was that there were so many options for tasting good things that we had to be careful not to spoil our appetite for meals.:D

On other Royal ships you can get hot breakfast from room service for free...not on Quantum.

Also on all other Royal ships you can get burgers, pizza etc from room service for free up until late at night when room service fee kicks in but not so on Quantum.

So yes Quantum room service menu is new and exclusive.

So ther´s some á la carte pricing now for room Service on Quantum.

OK, still not a Problem with me. There´s still enough Food on the ship I don´t have to pay for. It´s the same as specialty Dining, it´s there but you won´t starve if you don´t use it.

It was our choice not to use room service the way we somestimes do on other ships BUT it was not because of the fee. There are so many options for complimentary food that we had no desire to eat in our room.

Our problem was that there were so many options for tasting good things that we had to be careful not to spoil our appetite for meals.:D

I think the original OP's point is that what was almost universally a free option, except at certain times, is now not free. And alot of advertising by RCI emphasized the free or complimentary aspect of room service. Now, if you want the convenience of eating in your room, you must pay for it. Is this now the future of room service on RCI?

I think the original OP's point is that what was almost universally a free option, except at certain times, is now not free. And alot of advertising by RCI emphasized the free or complimentary aspect of room service. Now, if you want the convenience of eating in your room, you must pay for it. Is this now the future of room service on RCI?

Well put. I think OP was mostly pointing out changes from other ships. The "nickel and diming" title distracted people and brought out the lectures from others who don't care:rolleyes: Bottom line, this probably portends future reductions in room service for all ships:(

Some of the same people who said they could care less about room service changes or "just don't buy it" will be howling here someday when something THEY enjoy on a ship has been taken away or had a price added to it.

Edited by bouhunter

As usual, when someone points out something that used to be included in the cruise fare and now has a charge, people jump on the band wagon with the typical responses of it is your choice to use the service and there are plenty of other places to get food without an extra charge.

Very short sighted... of course, in my opinion.

Our neighbors just returned from Quantum and said the amount of things with a nominal fee is out of control. They did not have the drink package and were shocked at the $12 cocktails which is much, much more expensive than they were this summer on Explorer. If RCI's experiment pays off you can count on everything being a la carte soon.

It seems to be a trend that has been discussed on these boards for years. When we took our first cruise in 1993, we have a tiny, dark inside cabin that was not much more than a closet and we paid 999 per person for that cruise. Everything other than shore excursions, spa treatments and alcohol was included. There were no fees for room service, no fee restaurants or fee food. If it was food, it was included. There were no fee areas of the ship and no places, restaurants or lounges that were only for certain passengers. We didn't mind paying 999 per person for our "closet" and loved every minute of the cruise.

I just booked a balcony cabin on the Anthem for about that same fare just last week. Considering inflation over the last 20+ years, I am paying much less for my cabin now(a better one) but there are certain restaurants, food, apparently room service that I will have to pay for now, if I want to partake.

Sure, I would rather not have to pay for the extras, who wouldn't? I do think the industry is doing a good job of keeping fares affordable while maintaining lots of choices that are included in the fare but making up for it with some "ala carte" pricing for certain things. I think they are striking a good balance between charging a fare then having everything "ala carte" (like a hotel) and charging high fares and including everything. I think there are lines that live at various points along that spectrum.

The cruise lines exist to make a profit. I am not going to get mad at them for wanting to profitable, though they do need to please their passengers as a whole.

I just can't see paying substantially more for a cruise on a ship that has features I'm not interested in (North Star, iFly, bumper cars, dynamic dining) and dramatically expanded opportunities for me to pay for things I do want (room service, a la carte Johnny Rockets, etc.).

I didn't love Allure, and think think that Quantum and her sisters are an extension of the philosophy that began on the Oasis class. Personally, I think the base fares on those ships should be LESS expensive than others. You get less personal attention and service, and end up spending more on all the little things.

I'd pay MORE to sail on an adequately staffed, well maintained Vision or Radiance class ship with traditional dining and good entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveyHowell, I agree with 50% of what you did - I think for food it is going a la carte but I think the $12 drinks are driving people to the drink packages where RCCL probably comes out ahead. I am not going on QOS next, but if I get on my ship and all the drinks are $12 then the high level package all of sudden doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our neighbors just returned from Quantum and said the amount of things with a nominal fee is out of control. They did not have the drink package and were shocked at the $12 cocktails which is much, much more expensive than they were this summer on Explorer. If RCI's experiment pays off you can count on everything being a la carte soon.

Exactly. Once the few "experienced" cruisers become a small minority, and the "new" cruisers become D/D+/Pinnacle, they will become used to the "nicklel-diming" aspect and then it will be expanded fleet-wide.

I haven't been on a cruise yet (70 days!) but from reading and watching the last few months I can appreciate all the experienced cruisers complaining about how things used to be done...

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, as I will explore all alternatives first before stepping foot on a ship with Dynamic Dining. I´m not saying never, but I will avoid it as much as possible.

You are very wise, I'm under the impression this system might fail, it definitely failed us.

It will be interesting to see what percentage of people return to this ship with all the dining issues going on, not to mention the creaking and howling noises when at sea.

Charging for a hot breakfast or a burger on the room service menu is going too far IMHO and I'm one who very seldom has anything negative to say about added fee options. I understood the late night charge to cut down on waste but there are times that one may not feel up to eating in one of the dining rooms so now they must pay to dine in their stateroom. I'm sure that this will roll out fleet wide soon. Also unless RCI has improved the room service quality then they should not be charging for it.

Edited by cruisingator2

So ther´s some á la carte pricing now for room Service on Quantum.

OK, still not a Problem with me. There´s still enough Food on the ship I don´t have to pay for. It´s the same as specialty Dining, it´s there but you won´t starve if you don´t use it.

The problem is there's not nearly enough supply for the potential demand in complimentary dining.

Our sailing on 1st December had 3500 out of a possible 4900, we had a terrible experience on almost every one of the 11 nights onboard with dining issues.

The push as we know is for more $$$$ per passenger.

I'm looking forward to the reviews from the Christmas and New Year sailings as they are supposed to be more full.