Princess has no clue where we will be docked...

Bruin Steve

We are on the Crown Princess in two weeks--January 3, 2015...

I just went to the website and logged in...

On my booking, in the "Travel Itinerary" section, it says:

Los Angeles, California

View general port information

San Pedro Pier 92

Los Angeles World Cruise Ctr

100 Swinford Avenue

San Pedro, Ca, 90731

However...

...later, on the same page it says:

"Please be advised that Crown Princess will berth at Pier 93 and embarkation will..."

Here's the deal...

San Pedro actually has FOUR docks for cruise ships: Docks, 91, 92, 93 and 46...46 is actually a bit down the harbor channel and is only used on those rare occasions when there are four ships in port...

The preferred dock is 93--which has the "newer" or more recently remodeled terminal building...92 is sort of "catty-cornered" to it and a lesser facility with a large tent for a roof...

When we cruised on the Golden last month, we were in Pier 93...but, of course, for both embarkation and disembarkation, we were the only ship in port...

BOTH the Crown Princess and the Grand Princess will be docked in San Pedro that day...But...which dock for each?

Apparently, Princess doesn't know...

It's not all that important since, when we pull up on the 3rd, I should be able to identify which ship is which and go to the correct one...

But, I'm thinking that not everyone is that bright...If they only read the correspondence or webpages that say "Pier 92" and we turn out to be at Pier 93, some of those people are likely to pull up to the wrong building and hand over their luggage to the wrong porters...

And we know that the porters are not necessarily all that bright either...and they don't work for Princess, they work for the port...

I am assuming some misguided folks will get redirected when they try to check in, but, at that point, they've likely already parted with their luggage...

With all of the various emails we've gotten from Princess in the past several days--instructions on boarding times, reminders to book shore excursions, introducing our Cruise Director, message from our Captain, etc.--wouldn't it be more important to let everyone CORRECTLY know where to show up?

I hope you get this resolved. I have visions of luggage being placed on the wrong ship.

A bit OT: The 1/30 sailing of the Crown is scheduled to embark at Pier 93 in San Pedro, but disembark at Pier 46--a long walk with luggage if you are parked at 93. There are 3 ships scheduled to be in port that day, not 4 last I checked, so not sure whey they are using 46 at all. I called Princess to ask if there would be a shuttle provided from 46 to 93 for disembarking passengers, but the phone rep wasn't sure.

Does anyone know if Pier 46 is equipped to handle immigration since it is rarely used, or if we have to get transferred to 91, 92 or 93 to be processed?

Edited by Ryndam2002

There are two ships (the Grand is the other one) in San Pedro that day, and as such no port has yet been assigned.

So it's not as you state, Princess has no clue, it is that Princess does not yet have the information from the Harbor Master who controls everything.

I hope you get this resolved. The 1/30 sailing of the Crown is scheduled to embark at Pier 93 in San Pedro, but disembark at Pier 46--a long walk with luggage if you are parked at 93. There are 3 ships scheduled to be in port that day, not 4 last I checked, so not sure whey they are using 46 at all. I called Princess to ask if there would be a shuttle provided from 46 to 93 for disembarking passengers, but the phone rep wasn't sure.

Does anyone know if Pier 46 is equipped to handle immigration since it is rarely used, or if we have to get transferred to 91, 92 or 93 to be processed?

That sounds like a nightmare...

If they don't shuttle you, one answer would be to have most of your party wait with the luggage while one member of your party goes get the car, perhaps using the trolley:

http://www.sanpedro.com/SPCOM/sanpedrotrolley.htm

You'd have to walk up a ways to 22nd Street and take the shuttle up to the top of the route, get the car and drive back down to Pier 46...

I certainly hope Princess has the decency to provide a direct shuttle...

Princess does not control the assignment of berths, the Port Authority makes that assignment and often at the last minute. When approaching the Port it is very easy to spot your ship. This happens week in and week out......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Were it the case that Princess has no control (and I am not that sure it does not--there are only TWO ships in port and BOTH are Princess ships...so, one goes in 93 and the other in 92...and I doubt the Port Authority cares which one goes where)...but, if it is such...THEN, Princess would be better served by stating "TBD" on their web page and in their many emails, rather than going back and forth with "92" and "93" and often both in the same communication...

Affirmatively stating a specific berth in official correspondence will only serve to directing people to the wrong place...EVEN IF it should be evident when arriving in port...

I have seen other posts on THIS message board where people have gone to the wrong terminal with two Princess ships in port. What MAY be evident to some people is not to others. When one parks in the parking area, the terminals will block full view of the ships. At that point, many will not be able to read the names on the bow or stern of the ships...and a lot of people miss those signs...and, instead, go by what their official cruise line correspondence has told them.

If you DON'T have the correct information--whether it is YOUR fault or the PORT AUTHORITY's fault, it is YOUR fault if YOU report the incorrect information to your passengers. If you don't know, then send out emails that clearly state that: "At this time, we do not know the exact location of the ship's berth. As there are more than one ship in port, please check with the directional signs in the approach to the Parking Area to verify the ship's precise location"...

Would that be all that hard?

...If you don't know, then send out emails that clearly state that: "At this time, we do not know the exact location of the ship's berth. As there are more than one ship in port, please check with the directional signs in the approach to the Parking Area to verify the ship's precise location"...

Would that be all that hard?

As a former coworker used to say to me "there you go again, expecting things to make sense" ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

More importantly, Carnivore Corporation pays vast sums of money to port authorities and should be able to expect a certain level of operational support.

The harbormaster has known for months that N ships of Y size would be in port on Z day. Princess has had a pretty good guess on the number of passengers expected for each ship for some time as well.

I'm actually disappointed in the inability of Princess to work together with their port operator and stevedoring partners to solve problems and make boarding their ships better. This misinformation stream in LA, the continued problems with security flow in Vancouver, the lack of "holding space" at Sam Francisco.

Lucky passengers get to cruise a few times a year; Princess is in these ports week in and week out and could apply basic process management techniques to continuously improve.

The information on the port of LA's website shows that on Jan 3 the Crown will be at B92 while the Grand will be at B93. It shows that the Crown will be at B93 for your return date on Jan 6. You would think that Princess' customer service should be able to look up this info.

http://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

When one parks in the parking area, the terminals will block full view of the ships. At that point, many will not be able to read the names on the bow or stern of the ships...

Since the terminals don't really rise that high, there are two things that may also help in visually identifying the ships when on your approach to the parking area: Grand Princess has nothing on her upper stern decks that even remotely resembles the large SkyWalkers night club that extends out over the sides of the ship; and the very large (illuminated at night) name plate of the ship way up on Sun Deck forward.

:D

Whats with the anger?

That's easy. UCLA got whipped in men's basketball by Kentucky last night, 44 to 83 ... ;)

Not sayin' my team is any good, but our expectations are different in this sport.

Edited by beg3yrs

That's easy. UCLA got whipped in men's basketball by Kentucky last night, 44 to 83 ... ;)

Not sayin' my team is any good, but our expectations are different in this sport.

Okay...

Stuff happens...especially when you're playing the #1 ranked team after losing 3 early departures to the First round of the NBA draft and a fourth starter who's also now playing in the NBA...

So...it's a non-conference game...

But, what happened last time we played Arizona? In the Pac-12 Tournament? When it really counted?

And, my sympathies to you...having to live in god-forsaken Tucson...

Okay...

Stuff happens...especially when you're playing the #1 ranked team after losing 3 early departures to the First round of the NBA draft and a fourth starter who's also now playing in the NBA...

So...it's a non-conference game...

But, what happened last time we played Arizona? In the Pac-12 Tournament? When it really counted?

And, my sympathies to you...having to live in god-forsaken Tucson...

Hey buddy, I often feel your pain. I do want to clarify a couple of things.

1) Just cuz I live in "god-forsaken Tucson" (BTW, there are five churches within walking distance from my home), doesn't mean my team is Arizona. Take a close look at my avatar. :D

2) Now that you've done that, you know I really don't care about roundball all that much. If I did, I'd be feeling bad most of the time. :(

3) I used to live near you in Calabasas and when my job moved to Tucson twenty years ago, it was all good. I'm retired now and am not leaving town as I can't find somewhere else where the overall quality of life makes me want to go through the trouble of moving. :cool:

4) Rivalries are so much fun. As the years go by though, I've learned that respecting all the other teams makes winning better and losing not so bad.

I hope your team does well (at least until it plays mine - but that's another story) and that you enjoy the rest of the season.

Your Trojan friend,

Beg3yrs

Hey buddy, I often feel your pain. I do want to clarify a couple of things.

1) Just cuz I live in "god-forsaken Tucson" (BTW, there are five churches within walking distance from my home), doesn't mean my team is Arizona. Take a close look at my avatar. :D

2) Now that you've done that, you know I really don't care about roundball all that much. If I did, I'd be feeling bad most of the time. :(

3) I used to live near you in Calabasas and when my job moved to Tucson twenty years ago, it was all good. I'm retired now and am not leaving town as I can't find somewhere else where the overall quality of life makes me want to go through the trouble of moving. :cool:

4) Rivalries are so much fun. As the years go by though, I've learned that respecting all the other teams makes winning better and losing not so bad.

I hope your team does well (at least until it plays mine - but that's another story) and that you enjoy the rest of the season.

Your Trojan friend,

Beg3yrs

I'm so sorry...

I read your location as Arizona...and saw your Avatar as an Arizona License Plate...and jumped to the honest conclusion "your team" must be the UofA...

If it's actually the Trojans, then my sincerest condolences...

You guys haven't been relevant in basketball since I was born...and I am pretty danged old...

But, hasn't Football been a lot of fun the past three years? ;)

If I was unable to spot my ship, before I parked, I would drive around to the porters standing outside the buildings and ask what ship this was. Then I would drive around again and park.

Think about it like airplane gates. The airline and airport have planned gates but things can always change at the last minute (for example another ship is late in leaving). One should NEVER depend on information issued days or weeks prior.

That said, I think Pier 92 is where the admin offices are for the shoreside company Princess uses on embarkation day, so that is always listed under general port info, then the specific pier is listed later. It worked that way for the FLL documentation last time we cruised out of there (didn't notice for NYC).

Think about it like airplane gates. The airline and airport have planned gates but things can always change at the last minute (for example another ship is late in leaving). One should NEVER depend on information issued days or weeks prior.

That said, I think Pier 92 is where the admin offices are for the shoreside company Princess uses on embarkation day, so that is always listed under general port info, then the specific pier is listed later. It worked that way for the FLL documentation last time we cruised out of there (didn't notice for NYC).

I've been at a gate in an airport along with most of the passengers waiting to board a flight only to have a gate change. Happens all the time.

At any port, the harbormaster has the last say where a ship or tender docks. The cruise line has no say. I've waited on lines to get a tender back to the ship when the harbormaster suspended all tendering while a local fishing boat docked and unloaded before tendering could begin again. Other times, a harbormaster has allowed only one tender at the dock at a time. Both were huge inconveniences to passengers who waited an extra hour or two in line in blistering heat or rain.

IMHO, which dock is a non-issue in San Pedro. As you enter the cruise center, there are signs at the entrance with which ship is at which pier. You have to drive completely around the cruise center to get to pier 93 so you can easily spot your ship and where to stop.

Edited by Pam in CA

Don't forget that the parking area has a shuttle that drives around and picks up passengers. Even if you didn't know where your ship was docked the shuttle bus driver would and get you there.

It seems this thread has been hijacked and I am not so sure it's a bad idea.

Tucson is a beautiful place. :) Princess is known for its haphazard publications and confused information. The phone reps will tell you two different things in the same call. The Patters are always getting something wrong. It's not a good thing, but I live with it. Pam is right that when you pull into the pier area you must drive around the parking lot to get to the curb. This will give you plenty of time to see which ship is at which pier. I have no doubt that there will be some clueless individuals who will get it all wrong, but I don't think it will be wholesale chaos. Have a good time on the cruise! :)

According to the San Pedro Cruise Terminal website, on the 3rd the Grand will be embarking at Pier 93, and the Crown at 92.

January 01/03/2015 Sat PRINCESS Grand Princess 950 B93

January 01/03/2015 Sat PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B92

January 01/04/2015 Sun NORWEGIAN Norwegian Star 965 B92

January 01/05/2015 Mon SILVERSEA CRUISES LTD. Silver Whisper 610 B93

January 01/06/2015 Tue PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B93

January 01/09/2015 Fri PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B93

January 01/10/2015 Sat PRINCESS Grand Princess 950 B93

January 01/17/2015 Sat PRINCESS Grand Princess 950 B93

January 01/19/2015 Mon PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B93

January 01/22/2015 Thu PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B93

January 01/22/2015 Thu SILVERSEA CRUISES LTD. Silver Spirit 642 B92

January 01/23/2015 Fri PRINCESS Pacific Princess 594 B93