Chops or Giovanni's Table for Birthday dinner?

norwane

Hello~

I will be celebrating my birthday when on the IOS. :D

I was thinking about going to Chops or Giovanni's for lunch or dinner. I would prefer lunch, but it doesn't look like lunch is an option? :confused: Our port is San Juan that day.

So, which restaurant should we choose? I like both steaks/seafood and Italian, so honestly, I could go either way. Should we wait until we board to make a reservation, to see if they offer any deals or discounts?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays everyone! :)

After 2 very disappointing meals in Giovanni's on IOS this year (2 separate cruises), I would recommend Chops. I did have a lovely meal there last year and that is what prompted me to go during my first cruise this year. Unfortunately, the service was lacking (to the point of non existent), the food was not worth the cover charge and the whole atmosphere was 'off'. The staff didn't seem to want to engage with any of the diners and spent most of the time chatting to each other by the kitchen window. I spoke to several other people who felt the same. I decided to go again on a more recent cruise as I really hoped that the bad experience had been a one off and found exactly the same as before.

I never made it to Chops but I only heard good things about the service and quality of food.

We enjoy Giovanni's more than Chops. We just don't find Chops worth the price anymore.

One thing I can't understand is why some ships (enchantment) charge $30 pp for chops, while others (oasis) charge $35pp.

I also agree with you Bob, the new sides are boarder line bad.

After our last 3 Chops dinners on three different RCCL ships, we will not return. Now, in addition to the basic cost, there are "up charges" as much as $18 or more for many items previously included such as the T bone steak. With the exception of the Veal chop parmesan, the entrees we have had were at best OK compared to what they were on the prior menu. With the entrees standard are served 7 "different" vegetables with dinner ( 4 potatoes--mashed, baked, French fries and tater tots; a creamed and a sautéed spinach; and mushrooms). Some of the appetizers (ie. shrimp cocktail) were excellent and the desserts are OK.

Our last visits to Giovanni's on the last three ships, to us, offered a much better overall dining experience than Chops.

It would just be my DH and I (but we are with a large group, so others could join us, you just never know!) I'm not sure that my DH will be on board with paying for dinner, when we can get it for 'free' in the MDR. I would just like something special for my birthday.

Do they do anything for b-days in the MDR or at all on the ship? My DH is not the planner, I am, so if I want anything, I would have to do it myself! :( Which, I don't really want to do! Yes, I'm a bit of a diva on my B-day! :o

So, lunches are not an option at either Chops or Giovanni's? And, a t-bone at Chops would be extra?! What else is extra? :eek:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :D

We enjoy Giovanni's more than Chops. We just don't find Chops worth the price anymore.

I agree, we just got off of the Allure yesterday and we ate at Giovanni's the first night and last night of the cruise. Saturday night was a birthday surprise from my wife.

We have been to Chops but was disappointed both times.

One thing I can't understand is why some ships (enchantment) charge $30 pp for chops, while others (oasis) charge $35pp.

Why should things be the exact same on different ships? Different facilities, different itineraries, different price points for the trip in the first place... Obviously, they are charging what the particular market will bear.

One thing I can't understand is why people are so eager for cruising to be such a completely homogeneous experience. Why should everything be the same fleetwide?

I would not pay extra for a meal I all ready paid for. I was just on the Grandeur and both Restaurants were empty. No one wants to pay $50 -$70 a couple for a meal extra. It's not worth the money!

You would be better served to speak for yourself and not "everyone". There are plenty of people, myself included who have no issue whatsoever to pay a premium price for a premium product. You are happy with the MDR? Great. I'm glad that's working out for you. I, on the other hand prefer food that is not mass produced on an assembly line and served in a noisy glorified dining hall...

You would be better served to speak for yourself and not "everyone". There are plenty of people, myself included who have no issue whatsoever to pay a premium price for a premium product. You are happy with the MDR? Great. I'm glad that's working out for you. I, on the other hand prefer food that is not mass produced on an assembly line and served in a noisy glorified dining hall...

totally agree - we enjoy the alternate dining rooms about 80% of the cruise voyage - on our upcoming cruise for 8 nights, we have 6 booked at either chops or giovanni - 1 night in MDR and 1 night in our suite - so yes, there are crazy people :confused: like us that enjoy these venues and worth every penny especially for the nice quiet atmosphere to enjoy dinner and a great bottle of wine....

If I were to take my wife out to a restaurant in town and it costs me between $200 to $250, or on the ship, I can get somewhat the equivalent meal for $60 or $70, that seems like a good deal to me. We have a 4 day cruise coming up in april, and have booked 2 of the 4 nights. (one at Portofino, and one at chops).

What would you suggest: The LOTS cruise in April is in part to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We plan on dressing up Formal for one of our 2 specialty restaurant reservations and calling that one our official 20th anniversary dinner. The other night will be more along the lines of "Smart casual" as they say. Between Portofino and Chops, at which one of the two should we celebrate our anniversary ?

dp

EDIT: Sorry, I did not mean to hijack your thread. After re-reading from the first post, looks like Chops may have a bit more of an intimate setting, so it may be more appropriate for an anniversary dinner. I am however still open to recommendations.

Edited by dpostman

Does anyone have menus for both restaurants? I too am trying to decide between the two for my birthday dinner on Brilliance.

Chops: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/chops.pdf

Giovanni's: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf