How long before Carnival goes to the wrist bands

CJHAN

Does anyone think carnival will go to the wristbands like Disneyworld? I think the disney ships are making the move as well as RCCL. If you dont know what I'm talking about basically its a band that opens your door has all your info so you can make purchases it very convenient and less likely to be lost then the current SS card. What do you guys think.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Forums mobile app

I hate to wear things around my wrist so I hope they NEVER go to the bands for the wrist.

I just got back from WDW a couple of weeks ago and think the magic bands are great. They are rubber, sturdy, adjustable for all and don't get "icky". We never had an issue with them and it's great having your credit card, room key, magic maker photo pass, fast passes, and reservations linked to them. Imagine showing up at embark not having to get FTTF with your wristband always programmed how you want it and being able to breeze onto the ship in a few minutes.

I would bet Carnival goes to them completely within 10 years. They will save so much time and money in the long run.

I'm curious as to how this saves Carnival money. I think wristbands would actually cost more because of:

• Infrastructure changes, they would need to re-key thousands of cabins and registers.
  • Cost on a "per person" basis, wrist bands cost more than a card.

Where exactly is the cost savings? Granted it "may" be more convenient for the consumer, but even this is debatable (just read the comments).

The use of credit card type payment/ID systems is well established worldwide. I doubt CCL will be making any changes for a long time.

Someone said it cost WDW more to implement the wrist band program than it cost to build the original Disney Land. That sounds like a pretty significant cost to me and I don't really understand how it saves any money. Possibly WDW did it for some future application. Their needs are probably a little different from a cruise line.

I know when we went to WDW in January they sent our wristbands overnight via FedEx. That probably cost a bit right there. Then when we added another night in another on site hotel they sent us a whole new set the same way. The bands did have our first names on them too.

With the speed of technology changes today I would think a company would have to think long and hard before spending that kind of money. And I don't really see how it would speed up embark or debark unless you can somehow get the CBP to change their operational methods. They are really the bottleneck, not the cruise line.

Wrist bands are ok for a theme park. I would not like them on a cruise ship.

The Disney Dream still used cards lasy July.

Sail & sign cards are water proof and also do not have your cabin number on them.

I really don’t think Carnival will replace all of their slot machines so passengers can use wrist bands.

Edited by near the beach

I wouldn't like a wrist band either. I don't even wear a watch because of the tan line it leaves. I hope the keep a S&S card.

I do wear a watch so I know I have tan lines. lol

I have very fair skin so use lots of sunscreen.

I still wouldn't want a wristband, though.

Edited by Sparky2

I don't mind the Disney bands, but they don't always work well in the stores and restaurants. I don't want to make this into a discussion on the bands themselves, but since they started the bands, I have stayed onsite 4 times, and renewed my annual pass, so I now have 6 bands. They do load my pass on each of the bands, but when you book a new reservation they send you new ones. As of right now they are working on setting it up that you can reuse your bands.

Anyway, it would be a huge undertaking for Carnival to retrofit their whole fleet with bands, but they could do it on the new ships they are building. if they were a little smaller than the Disney bands, that would be nice, maybe the size of a fitbit band.

I'm not too sure. You should take a look at who was recently recruited to Carnival Corporation and who applied for the patent on behalf of the Walt Disney Company.

No further comment from me.

Trust me, Carnival can do nothing that would impress a couple of posters.

Your last cruise on Carnival because of a wristband? :confused:

It would be my last cruise on Carnival...

Yes, I am a dork with it hanging around my neck, but that is for convenience and I can hide it when needed.

Wristbands are for kids and inmates...

However, I do believe they can cut the S&S cards down to like a store card sized for keychain, lanyard, chain, clip etc.

We can tap/scan and go, instead of swipe/insert..

Sail_and_Sign_Card.jpg

I think it would be great if they offered it as an option, I would pay a couple bucks for it...easier than digging the card out every time as I don't wear mine on a lanyard. I've seen too many cards blow out of those in the wind on deck.

PS - Your review is very much missed, loved reading it.

I would like the wrist bands. I think they would be cool as an option, I like the concept of magic bands and being as hands free as possible. Things around my neck bother me, so a lanyard is out, but if I don't wanna lug around my wallet I'm worried that my card will fall out of my pocket or I'll accidentally demagnetize it by my phone or my kindle.
Edited by tkportersat

And the thing is, for visitors to Disney, the wristband isn't even needed. The card one gets will do the same function as the wristband.

I have a MagicBand in every color, another customer with nail polish, most character bands and all limited edition MagicBands except this year's Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party LE, 2014 CM and the one given to attendees at D23. With that said, I still prefer to use my Annual Pass hard ticket when in the parks.

Edited by Disconnections

I can say that I personally would NOT want to wear a wrist band. I do not wear bracelets, watch or anything on my wrists. I hate to sweat and feel things clinging to me. Also I am allergic to something in the theme park wrist bands..turns my wrists red and I swell up ...I'll take the lanyard any day of the week. I hope they never go to wrist bands.

I have a MagicBand in every color, another customer with nail polish, most character bands and all limited edition MagicBands except this year's Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party LE, 2014 CM and the one given to attendees at D23. With that said, I still prefer to use my Annual Pass hard ticket when in the parks.

The above should read "customized," not "customer." That autocorrection went undetected.

Edited by Disconnections

I will try and find it. It was not here (or even a post here referencing something else). I can't really. Recall, but will look. It stuck out at the time because I was shocked that it could possibly be true (cheaper to print vs some facial recognition technology).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can kind of see it working though. When folks have something in their hands and can run over to family and friends to look and discuss, it makes buying easier. Sitting in the room looking at them on the TV is cool but I don't see it creating a buying frenzy like actual physical photos.

I suspect in 10 years they'll be using implantable RIF chips and DNA scanners and people will be in awe of the technology that allows big brother to track our every move and report it to the authorities on our Iphone 27's. ;)

I suspect you will live in fear for the rest of your life. Technology will conquer all.

Someone said it cost WDW more to implement the wrist band program than it cost to build the original Disney Land. That sounds like a pretty significant cost to me and I don't really understand how it saves any money. Possibly WDW did it for some future application. Their needs are probably a little different from a cruise line.

I know when we went to WDW in January they sent our wristbands overnight via FedEx. That probably cost a bit right there. Then when we added another night in another on site hotel they sent us a whole new set the same way. The bands did have our first names on them too.

With the speed of technology changes today I would think a company would have to think long and hard before spending that kind of money. And I don't really see how it would speed up embark or debark unless you can somehow get the CBP to change their operational methods. They are really the bottleneck, not the cruise line.

True but like any expensive new drug the cost is in the research but when the "exclusive period" is over there is a version at a fraction of the cost. Disney invested a ton of money but Carnival and other companies can piggyback on their research.

True but like any expensive new drug the cost is in the research but when the "exclusive period" is over there is a version at a fraction of the cost. Disney invested a ton of money but Carnival and other companies can piggyback on their research.

Sure, they could piggyback but at what price? You don't seriously think Disney would just "give away" their research?

Remember the old adage.. if it ain't broke it don't need fixing. The technology Carnival is using at the present time covers their needs. No point in spending money on a problem that doesn't exist.