I'm on QM2; any questions?

Underwatr

Just one more question if you don't mind. I see you have also done a transatlantic crossing on the QM2. I have done that crossing 4 times but this is my first "voyage". Were there any noticeable differences between a QM2 crossing and this 12 day voyage other than the port excursions? I love the crossings but wanted to be on board for Christmas this year. Thanks once again. Kelly
I think the sea days are very similar to what you saw on your transatlantic. In port there is less offered as far as organized activities because they assume most passengers will be ashore. The biggest difference here is no enrichment lectures and no planetarium shows. Brittania restaurant is still open for all meals but Todd English is not open for lunch. On the plus side there are normally daily specials in the spa when in port.

When you do the math you have the same number of sea days as on a crossing but there's only one time change forward and one back.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your commentary on the cruise. My mom and I usually go on QM2 for the holidays but this year we decided to go NCL; we had great weather the whole time, just a little rain in St. Martin.

I'm happy that the movies were better this time, when I went in 2011-2012, the movies were horrible, and not one holiday movie among them.

Just to pick up again on the 'carrying of ones drinks'. Sorry to say, I think we've got a bit of wait yet. I did hear the idea in the future (after the QM/KC refit) is for the beverages to be served to the guest at the table. (Kings Court)

I've just got off QE where this has already been implemented (Lido) and I must say it works very very well . I understand the same beverage service will be implemented on the Victoria (Lido) as from Tuesday.

On the subject of the trays, a duty Maitre d' (QE/Lido) gave me to understand that the next thing they are looking at, is placing the 'napkin wrapped cutlery' on the tables. Trays could be removed across the fleet :(

We found that the waiters with hot drinks came round as soon as we got seated which is too early for us as we prefer a cold drink with meals and then finish with a hot drink by which time most of the drinks waters had disappeared. There was no hot drinks waiter service for the evening meals.

Teaspoons were placed inside paper napkins on the tables.

Is it worth the money to go with Queen's G level cabins for a 7 day trip or balcony? We're planning a transatlantic, but wonder if Cunard can deliver the experience I would expect if I'm paying thousands more for Queen's level.

Obviously it is very hard to guess what experience you expect, the QG can and does offer excellent service and most people speak highly of it. Only you can assess whether it is worth the cost.

Is it worth the money to go with Queen's G level cabins for a 7 day trip or balcony? We're planning a transatlantic, but wonder if Cunard can deliver the experience I would expect if I'm paying thousands more for Queen's level.

Some of us tried to answer your question here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152638

If you are still unconvinced that a QG is worth the extra money you would be better in a regular balcony. We all have different expectations and budgets. For some a QG would be a luxurious vacation. For others it would be an extravagance and out of their comfort level.

(On my last voyage a couple who paid Princess level ate one meal in the PG restaurant, didn't care for the menu, and thereafter ate in Kings' Court. What a waste of money for them.)

Some of us tried to answer your question here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152638

If you are still unconvinced that a QG is worth the extra money you would be better in a regular balcony. We all have different expectations and budgets. For some a QG would be a luxurious vacation. For others it would be an extravagance and out of their comfort level.

(On my last voyage a couple who paid Princess level ate one meal in the PG restaurant, didn't care for the menu, and thereafter ate in Kings' Court. What a waste of money for them.)

Thanks for the reply. For me, it's not the budget question, but whether Cunard can actually provide the luxurious experience for the extra money (compared with, for example, Silver Sea or Regent). I've been reading several blog sites that complain about Cunard's food and perks, even at the higher level. So that's why I'm asking. Of course, each person's criteria of "is it worth it" is very individual, so I'm asking around, because of some of the negatives I've read about the ship and the company in general. After two recent bad experiences on HAL, which used to be much better in my opinion, I'm just being cautious. I would have probably gone with Princess level cabin as a happy medium, but on the voyage I need it's sold out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. For me, it's not the budget question, but whether Cunard can actually provide the luxurious experience for the extra money (compared with, for example, Silver Sea or Regent). I've been reading several blog sites that complain about Cunard's food and perks, even at the higher level. So that's why I'm asking. Of course, each person's criteria of "is it worth it" is very individual, so I'm asking around, because of some of the negatives I've read about the ship and the company in general. After two recent bad experiences on HAL, which used to be much better in my opinion, I'm just being cautious. I would have probably gone with Princess level cabin as a happy medium, but on the voyage I need it's sold out. Thanks again.

Silversea and Reagent are all suite, all butler concierge lines so there is an economic filter. On Cunard you have those who routinely travel first class and in the best suites to those who can barely afford to travel in the inside cabins.

Last year a poster claimed that he was all set to make a final payment on the QE until some friends warned him, "Have you read the reviews?" He claimed to be "shocked" at what he read and cancelled.

I too have read mixed reviews regarding QM2, sometimes to the point of wondering if the reviewer and I were on the same voyage. One thing to consider is that people who have a overall negative experience or a pet peeve are more likely to write a review than those who had a great time. It's sort of venting their disappointment if you will. I've generally had a great time in the Princess Grill and have written so positively that others consider me a head-in-sand Cunard cheerleader.

It would help if perhaps you had more specific questions like those about the food and perks that were described in negative terms.

Ultimately you will have to make a decision on your gut feeling.

Having sailed Veranda on SilverSea and been upgraded last time to QG on QM2, I would rate SS higher for service and QM2 higher for room size. I dislike dragging out my keycard and signing for everything on QM2. Because of the smaller SS ship, the crew can recognize you and cater to you more effectively all across the ship. Our bartender in the QG Lounge was spectacular but we were tied to that bar to receive that service. Our butlers on both lines were good, requests met easily.

Once you leave your cocoon of Grill, you are still with a thousand other people in line for activities, tenders, etc.

Now, because SS only offers 10 day Canada cruises this year and I need a 7 day, we will be back on QM2 in a PG in September! The dine at your own time makes it worthwhile for us.