Am I the only one who is going to miss the Epic? (In the Caribbean)

volvoshine

I know the Epic is a "I LOVE IT" or "I CAN'T STAND IT" ship...

To me the Epic is my favorite ship in NCL's fleet. Her interior and exterior design are polarizing for sure, but for me it "works".

My only cruise outside of NCL was on RCCL's Freedom Of Sea's, which by itself is a fine ship. However I couldn't help but marvel at the incredible waste of space (However beautifully designed) that the ship had.

I appreciate nicely designed spaces as much as the next guy, but I also like a space to feel modern and like it has a purpose.

That's where the difference between the Freedom and Epic makes sense, spaces on the Freedom like the "Royal Promenade" may look cool, but do they actually serve any purpose. On the other hand, the Epic has little to none open space. This makes every deck a little bit of a treasure hunt, your never quite sure what you will find around every bulkhead.

I was also on the Getaway a few months ago and really enjoyed it, however I couldn't shake the feeling the ship was "One Size too small". It was nice that the ship was more outward facing than the Epic & the "Waterfront was awesome!.

So to sum it up.. I will be missing the Epic very much, and I hope the Escape will be able to fill its place in the Caribbean.

Also If any of you will be on the Epic's Jan. 11 sailing... See you onboard

/Ryan

I know the Epic is a "I LOVE IT" or "I CAN'T STAND IT" ship...

To me the Epic is my favorite ship in NCL's fleet. Her interior and exterior design are polarizing for sure, but for me it "works".

My only cruise outside of NCL was on RCCL's Freedom Of Sea's, which by itself is a fine ship. However I couldn't help but marvel at the incredible waste of space (However beautifully designed) that the ship had.

I appreciate nicely designed spaces as much as the next guy, but I also like a space to feel modern and like it has a purpose.

That's where the difference between the Freedom and Epic makes sense, spaces on the Freedom like the "Royal Promenade" may look cool, but do they actually serve any purpose. On the other hand, the Epic has little to none open space. This makes every deck a little bit of a treasure hunt, your never quite sure what you will find around every bulkhead.

I was also on the Getaway a few months ago and really enjoyed it, however I couldn't shake the feeling the ship was "One Size too small". It was nice that the ship was more outward facing than the Epic & the "Waterfront was awesome!.

So to sum it up.. I will be missing the Epic very much, and I hope the Escape will be able to fill its place in the Caribbean.

Also If any of you will be on the Epic's Jan. 11 sailing... See you onboard

/Ryan

I agree 100% and that's why I booked the January 4th sailing. I need to get on the Epic one more time before she's in Europe forever. Sad times.

I have never sailed on the Epic before, but will be on the January 18th sailing. I had always wanted to try her and I figured now was as good a time as any. If I really like her, I will follow her out to the Meditarranean for a go round, and if not, well at least I didn't have to fly to Europe to find out. I have to say that I'm fascinated by her design. She's ungainly looking, but you have to admire her uniqueness. I don't think there's another ship out there that's quite like her. I'm trying out my first studio cabin too so this sailing should be very interesting indeed. :)

Sounds like we pick the same cruises LOL

We love the Epic and will miss her. Maybe we'll get to Europe someday but not for at least the next 4 years (stationed in Hawaii right now so can't complain too much) ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is what I don't understand about the EPIC being in Europe. Its NCL's largest ship that is on probably one of the heaviest port itineraries out there. Which means you basically have to give up port days to explore the ship. Are there THAT many ships cruising the Med that no one cares what is on the ship but rather just the ports of call?

This is what I don't understand about the EPIC being in Europe. Its NCL's largest ship that is on probably one of the heaviest port itineraries out there.

Epic also does for example 10/11-night Canary Islands itineraries during the winter. She was in Europe already doing the 7-nighters in summers for several years so nothing has actually changed about those port intensive cruises.

I won't miss the Epic - no matter where it's sailing. We just got off the Christmas week cruise and I have to admit I just don't "get" that ship. We rarely sail on mega ships, but after a fantastic cruise on Oasis of the Seas last year, we thought we'd give the Epic a try. Our adult daughter was able to come with us thanks to the studio cabins which have to be one of the BEST perks of the Epic. But that was about the only thing I can rave about. The ship is so mixed-up, so jumbled, so no "rhyme or reason", that I was still trying to figure it out on our last day. I hate to compare cruise lines, but there is absolutely NO comparison between the Oasis of the Seas - one of the most amazingly organized, beautiful ships we've ever been on to the schizophrenic Epic. And what is with the "Atrium"? Does Norwegian know what the word "Atrium" means? Because the "Atrium" on the Epic had ceilings lower than the average basement rec room. I have to shake my head at a ship that has to leave instructions in the cabins as to where all the "secret" storage is. No, I won't miss the Epic. (We've sailed on three other Norwegian cruises and enjoyed every one - my complaint isn't with Norwegian - it's with the Epic.)

I just got off the epic on Sunday and while I preffered the large ship and the way Norwegian does things in general, my only major complaint, and the reason I would never consider her again, was the running/jogging "track". What a joke, especially for a ship of that size. Tiny, only one "lane" each way, so if there's someone walking, it is not possible to run at all. Lifeboats and some noisy machinery as the only views. The crew was constantly blocking the track while attempting to service the said machinery. It *may* be ok on a port-heavy cruise, but with 3 sea days out of 7, that was unacceptable.

We got engaged on the Epic during a cruise to celebrate my parents' 40th anniversary ini 2013, so the ship holds sentimental value for us. We're sailing on the January 18th sailing just to sail once more before the Epic moves over to Europe, and my parents and family friends are sailing the week after. So yes, we'll miss the Epic. We can't wait to get back on board in a few weeks!

My wife and I both will miss Epic. We are traveling on our third consecutive voyage on Epic January 25th.

We last went on Epic, March 8 2014 which was our honeymoon voyage. (2nd marriages for both of us we are 58 years young ) :rolleyes:

We really enjoy Epic and think that the Epic lives up to her name EPIC!

This ship is a one of a kind, as well as a great experience. The crew and food are tremendous. So all I can say to sum it up is...When we cruise like Norwegians :cool:...It's EPIC!

I sailed on Epic for the first time two weeks ago. It was also my first solo cruise, and I enjoyed myself very much. Based on so many comments, I was prepared for the possibility that I might hate Epic, but I loved her. In fact, I loved her so much that I will sailing solo again on Epic's 7-night Iberian Peninsula (Southampton to Barcelona) cruise in October.

Based on the way I experienced her, Epic didn't really feel all that different to me than any other Norwegian ship. Yes, the Epic Theater was smaller, but that left room for the Spiegel Tent. (And I loved Cirque Dreams). Bar City simply evolved into "567 Ocean Place," [Yes, I made that up.] and I thought it was interesting that I could be listening to piano at Shaker's while other folks were listening to guitar at Malting's right next door. All my favorite specialty restaurants were better than ever. And the atrium (yes, they should change the name) was a hive of activity with O'Sheehan's and all the game shows. I thought the understated decor was at warm and classy. Finally, the gym and spa were excellent. :D

Yes, the main pool deck was way too cluttered and crowded, but the bowl slide was so much fun I went down it four times. And, I spent all my time at Spice H2O. The bar and grill, the terraced seating with views of the ocean, the ocean-view hot tubs, and the heated pool made Spice H2O my favorite place on any Norwegian ship. It's a damn shame that Norwegian has ruined Spice H2O on subsequent builds. :mad:

Finally, I loved my studio cabin. What a luxury having an entire cabin to one's self! Yes, there are studios on other ships, now, but the complex is smaller and the lighting doesn't change colors. Epic is one of a kind, and I plan to visit her often wherever she sails.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I sailed on Epic for the first time two weeks ago. It was also my first solo cruise, and I enjoyed myself very much. Based on so many comments, I was prepared for the possibility that I might hate Epic, but I loved her. In fact, I loved her so much that I will sailing solo again on Epic's 7-night Iberian Peninsula (Southampton to Barcelona) cruise in October.

Based on the way I experienced her, Epic didn't really feel all that different to me than any other Norwegian ship. Yes, the Epic Theater was smaller, but that left room for the Spiegel Tent. (And I loved Cirque Dreams). Bar City simply evolved into "567 Ocean Place," [Yes, I made that up.] and I thought it was interesting that I could be listening to piano at Shaker's while other folks were listening to guitar at Malting's right next door. All my favorite specialty restaurants were better than ever. And the atrium (yes, they should change the name) was a hive of activity with O'Sheehan's and all the game shows. I thought the understated decor was at warm and classy. Finally, the gym and spa were excellent. :D

Yes, the main pool deck was way too cluttered and crowded, but the bowl slide was so much fun I went down it four times. And, I spent all my time at Spice H2O. The bar and grill, the terraced seating with views of the ocean, the ocean-view hot tubs, and the heated pool made Spice H2O my favorite place on any Norwegian ship. It's a damn shame that Norwegian has ruined Spice H2O on subsequent builds. :mad:

Finally, I loved my studio cabin. What a luxury having an entire cabin to one's self! Yes, there are studios on other ships, now, but the complex is smaller and the lighting doesn't change colors. Epic is one of a kind, and I plan to visit her often wherever she sails.

If you think the Epic's pool deck was small, and the Escape is anything like Getaway, you are not going to like it at all. Epic has a much better pool deck and use of space than the Away ships ....

So tell us. What did you think of Blue Man Group? As I recall you were not thrilled about going. Do tell!

I will surely miss the Epic. I was on her twice. I still think she is the most beautiful cruise ship on the seas. I love the "top" and think she was ahead of her time. Over time, she will hold up very well.

Correct me if I am wrong. But 5 years later......but Epic STILL has the largest spa at sea, the largest gym at sea, and the largest Haven area on any NCL ship. And my opinion is it has the best entertainment at sea still to this day!

My wife and I will most certainly miss the Epic. Our very first cruise was in an aft balcony on the Epic and we were instantly hooked on the idea of Freestyle as well as cruising as a whole. So to say good-bye as well as thank you to the Epic we have booked a cruise on her for Jan 18th as well her transatlantic repo and med cruise on Apr 19th.

Seriously losing our mind waiting to go on her! As our first cruise ship the Epic has opened our eyes to cruising and NCL as our cruise line choice. I know the Epic has a love it/hate it reputation but we think she is the most unique of the fleet and despite going on Getaway's free fall waterslide about 30 times on her transatlantic...still can't help but wish to be on the Epic Plunge! LOVE THE EPIC!

So tell us. What did you think of Blue Man Group? As I recall you were not thrilled about going. Do tell!

Thanks for the reminder! ;) I confess I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you and others encouraged me to go. My fear was that it was going to be too abstract, but I liked all of the little vignettes. I also found all of the characters to be very engaging. So, I'm a convert, I guess. That said, I don't know that I would want to see it every cruise. I would be more likely to repeat a Broadway show, I think.