Istanbul, overnight, Tram, Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Cisterns, Bazaars

Great review and photos. I was in Istanbul for about a week in October before a cruise to Israel and Italy. It is the most wonderful city, but needs much more than 24 hours as I am sure you would agree. I hope you were able to visit the Rustem Pasha mosque next to the spice bazaar. It is my favorite out of the 8 mosques I visited, not touristy, small and intimate with the beautiful Iznik tiles everywhere.

It is hard to find the entrance and you have to go up steps to get there but highly recommended to anyone going there, a do not miss. Very different than the other huge mosques of Istanbul and gives a nice peaceful vibe, serene, not crowded.

There is so much to see there. I am thinking of going back for 10 days to visit again this year. The tulips are supposed to be out in April. One of my guides mentioned that the tulips began in Turkey and the Turks sold them to the Dutch, but I don't know if this is true or not. Still, it must be gorgeous in the spring with tulips and flowers everywhere.:)

Thanks for the info. Yes, Turkey is a fascinating place, with plenty to see.

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult is it to get TL for the tram? I understand most places take Euros or CC but the tram only takes TL. Is there a place you can buy them near the tram station? We plan of getting off the ship around 7:30 and exploring the area.

How difficult is it to get TL for the tram? I understand most places take Euros or CC but the tram only takes TL. Is there a place you can buy them near the tram station? We plan of getting off the ship around 7:30 and exploring the area.

Very easy - you use TL to buy plastic tokens from vending machines at/near the tram stop. They are not expensive (3 TL each ?) Just ask someone where the nearest one is. One token = one tram ride. All the best, Tony

I think bvocruise is wondering about getting Turkish lira. There are ATMs on the street where you exit the cruise terminal and where the tram runs. Hopefully they will give you a range of smaller denominations and not a bunch of 100TL notes, which you will have trouble using (in the token vending machines, and just about everywhere else)…

There may be currency exchange offices in that area, too, but I don't know if they would be open for business already at 7:30am.

I think bvocruise is wondering about getting Turkish lira. There are ATMs on the street where you exit the cruise terminal and where the tram runs. Hopefully they will give you a range of smaller denominations and not a bunch of 100TL notes, which you will have trouble using (in the token vending machines, and just about everywhere else)…

There may be currency exchange offices in that area, too, but I don't know if they would be open for business already at 7:30am.

For getting smaller bills from an ATM, I suggest withdrawing an amount like 120 lira (as an example), where you'd have to at least get a 20 lira bill. (I think you can use up to a 20 lira bill in the automatic machines to get tokens for the tram.) If you plan on using the tram both ways, go ahead and get your return ones at the same time (e.g., 2 people = 4 tokens). You will get change back.

Very easy - you use TL to buy plastic tokens from vending machines at/near the tram stop. They are not expensive (3 TL each ?) Just ask someone where the nearest one is. One token = one tram ride. All the best, Tony

The tokens cost 4tl last September. If you know anyone going to Turkey in the meantime, you could ask them bring you back some lira, that's what I did. Ken

For getting smaller bills from an ATM, I suggest withdrawing an amount like 120 lira (as an example), where you'd have to at least get a 20 lira bill. (I think you can use up to a 20 lira bill in the automatic machines to get tokens for the tram.) If you plan on using the tram both ways, go ahead and get your return ones at the same time (e.g., 2 people = 4 tokens). You will get change back.

I appreciate all of the replies. I like the idea of getting 120 TL to ensure a small bill for the ticket machine.

Enjoyed your review.m will be there on a cruise in May. Just wanted to ask if they takeEuros at the Bazaars or only TL?

Thanks

We paid in Turkish Lira. Not sure if the Bazaar shops accepted Euros and/or USD. Perhaps others can help.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Yes, the cost is 4TL when we were there in Dec 2014.
For anyone planning to do more than one round trip on the tram, it is worthwhile to get a reusable, rechargeable Istanbulkart from a newspaper kiosk or at one of the larger transit stations. The initial cost is 6 TL, but then each ride on the tram is 2.15 TL instead of 4 TL, and several people can share the same card.

If you only need 4 tram tokens for your entire port stop and you never plan to come back to Istanbul, then don't bother with this. Everyone else should think about getting an Istanbulkart.

• 2 weeks later...

Great information Iluvcruising2, Thanks

One quick question - I read that there are no token machines at Findikli station and it is best to go to Tophane station which has a token machine. Is that true?

Edited by bee-ess

Great information Iluvcruising2, Thanks

One quick question - I read that there are no token machines at Findikli station and it is best to go to Tophane station which has a token machine. Is that true?

Not true. During my trip, there was one token machine at BOTH Findikli and Tophane. On our first day in Istanbul, we walked to Findikli, bought the tram tokens and took the tram into the city.

On 2nd day morning, however, when we were at Tophane, the machine wasn't working! Watch 2:58 of the video below. So we decided to just take a leisurely walk into the city, since we had the time and needed more exercise after all that feasting on the cruise ship. It is pretty easy to walk.

[YOUTUBE]bpWH8Ny-16I[/YOUTUBE]

On our second day in Istanbul, we didn't even take the tram. We walked all the way in, explored, and walked all the way back to the ship. We stopped for a coffee at Starbucks.

[YOUTUBE]p20SsmkVoQA[/YOUTUBE]

On our first day in Istanbul, we stopped for a break at MacDonalds.

[YOUTUBE]sKKsdzfTIdA[/YOUTUBE]

Hope this is helpful.

• 2 months later...

We will be in Istanbul in two weeks and are very excited. My friend at work gave me some TL coins to get us started with the tram. We are going to explore on our own and try to take in a few sites. We arrive on a Friday though so we may not be able to visit the inside of a Mosque since they open late.

Very good video. I was just there in October for a week. Not nearly enough time

But I got a taste and will return next year. Istanbul is a fascinating city with so much to see. Good to begin or end there so you can spend more time as you will see when you get there.