Norwegian spirit 2014.. Is it that old and run down??

gioia73

I sure hope not - I'm supposed to sail on her in December. The Spirit is the oldest ship in the fleet for NCL and doesn't have a lot of bells or whistles. I've been looking at some ships in other fleets and when I see they are old I try to find pictures and see if the ship and condition would be of interest to me and generally I shy away from those.

We sailed on the Spirit in 2007 and she is a very unique, nice looking classical ship. Others have sailed recently and can give you some input and pictures but if you are trying to compare a very new RCCL ship to an old NCL one, it really isn't a fair comparison.

thanks for the video very helpful

Here'a 21 minute YouTube video that was posted 2 weeks ago. It's not in English but you can things for yourself. Looks pretty good to me. We'll be on the Spirit in November and looking forward to it!!

I've been on the Spirit many times, and it is always well maintained and in good condition. I have never felt crowded on her except for the tiny Blue Lagoon area.

Allure is roughly 3 times the size of Spirit (based upon metric tons anyway), with Spirit being 300 feet shorter, 100 feet narrower, and half the height of Allure.

If you have been on Allure recently you will almost certainly notice the difference in size.

Other than that, it's a cruise ship. Being smaller there will be fewer people on the Spirit, and fewer venues, and probably less entertainment options, but you will still have a great time!

Edited by cliffd64

I don't consider it old, and it wasn't run down at all in 2011 or 2013, and I wouldn't expect it to be now.

She's a beautiful ship and fantastic for anyone who likes to spend time outside on deck. The aft tiered decks are awesome morning, noon, night, while in port, arriving in port, leaving port, or sailing out at sea!

I sailed on the Spirit a month ago and the public areas are in a phenomenal condition for the age of the ship. I would say the only part where you really notice the age are the elevators. My stateroom was a different story and definitely run down but it was a guarantee inside so it could have been worse.

I have sailed on her 6 times since 2010 and number 7 is in just 3 days time.

No this ship is not going to be anything like Allure and I give thanks for that. She is a smaller, more intimate ship for those who sail for the ports and not the ship. The crew is one of the best there is. Lacking the bells and whistles, but perfect for those who just do not need those things.

We were on the Spirit a month ago, and compared to April 2013, the ship has been spruced up.

A lot of the windows with seals broken, were replaced, (moisture between the panes).

The carpeting throughout the ship looks good, I did not see any signs of delayed maintenance.

Our cabin had new carpet in it, but it was an Aft Suite.

Because it was built for Asia, it has an Asian theme about it, very nice, its our favorite ship.

We are looking to book another 12 day Grand Med cruise on it, we would not consider going on the Epic, for the 12 day, not interested in the floating hotels.

There was a comment about the Blue Lagoon, its one of our favorite places on the ship, never too full, could always get a table.

Whatever floats your boat! :cool:

We were on the Spirit a month ago, and compared to April 2013, the ship has been spruced up.

A lot of the windows with seals broken, were replaced, (moisture between the panes).

The carpeting throughout the ship looks good, I did not see any signs of delayed maintenance.

Our cabin had new carpet in it, but it was an Aft Suite.

Because it was built for Asia, it has an Asian theme about it, very nice, its our favorite ship.

We are looking to book another 12 day Grand Med cruise on it, we would not consider going on the Epic, for the 12 day, not interested in the floating hotels.

There was a comment about the Blue Lagoon, its one of our favorite places on the ship, never too full, could always get a table.

Whatever floats your boat! :cool:

Blue Lagoon was very crowded for us since it is a small venue. I put a order in and the ladies next to me started putting their dirty dishes on my table (not exactly the best manners but the tables are kind of small).

Here'a 21 minute YouTube video that was posted 2 weeks ago. It's not in English but you can things for yourself. Looks pretty good to me. We'll be on the Spirit in November and looking forward to it!!

Thank you for posting the video. Watched it with the sound off. Been several years since I was on the Spirit. Some things have changed, many the same.

I've just returned from a 10 night cruise on NCL Spirit. It is a bit dated but what a beautiful ship! The decor is quite lavish in many areas and the style is very oriental - some amazing lacquered panels on decks 6 & 7. Since it was originally built for offshore gambling and cavorting of Japanese millionaires (and possibly crime lords - or that may just be my vivid imagination!) this explains the lavish decor.

The layout could be better (and newer ships have rectified this) as you could get lots more exercise than you bargained for if your cabin is on level 6. Also, the fixtures and fittings are a bit tired in places - there was a chip on our washhand basin and some of the grout between the tiles in the bathroom was pretty discoloured; but overall the ship was lovely, the crew were friendly and polite and very efficient. Sea days were a bit boring but it was January and sunbathing was limited!

I did the 12-night Grand Mediterranean sailing in September 2013 and thought Spirit was a beautiful ship. I didn't notice any signs of shabbiness. Keep in mind that with 2,000 new guests every single week, she take quite a beating (as do all cruise ships). It's a miracle to me that ships look as good as they do.

The cruise consultant on Epic last month was mentioning that the interior furnishings on Spirit were the most expensive ever for a ship her size at the time Spirit was built. If you accept that as true, it speaks to the unique glamour of the ship. I hope you give her a try.

2 others from my sailing already posted but I thought she was fine when I sailed her in December. The bathrooms are a bit old looking and could use some new grout but they are sufficient. The public areas were fine too.

Honestly I'm not that picky though. I cruise for the people, destination and experience. Unless something is moldy or actually dirty I will be fine. NCL always tries to keep stuff clean. Old carpet doesn't bother me.

And Da-Painter - a bunch of us are sailing to Bermuda in Oct 2016. You should join us!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Just off, generally good condition if you look you can find things that could do with a bit more attention but nothing too serious

eg. loose hand rail in an elevator, some public toilets out of action, elevator under maintenance so out of action for a few hours at a time.

Some of the carpets look very new

There is on going maintenance, they seem to be working through the bathroom mirror replacement where the backing has delaminated.

They were painting the table and chairs outside Henrys.

etc.

We sailed in Spitit last soring, and she is my favorite ship! Very manageable size, so it never took long to get anywhere. I loved, loved, loved the aft tiered decks. Never had a problem finding a place to sit, lounge, or watch the sail-away because there is so much outdoor seating.

Our cabin, a midship Oceaenview on deck 5, felt a little dated, but was clean and comfortable.

I would definitely sail on Spirit againl

And Da-Painter - a bunch of us are sailing to Bermuda in Oct 2016. You should join us!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Hi, will look into that one, we take off tomorrow for New Orleans, for 7 days in the Caribbean, its been too long since we've cruised, Julie says Hi. :)

The Spirit is my favorite ship. She is so different, small and classic. I stayed in one of the suites, and the Asian decor was just amazing.

I would sail her again in a heartbeat.

I agree totally with this post. We sailed last spring on the Grand Med. Cruise for 12 days Venice to Barcelona.

We were in a balcony on the 9th floor and our stateroom was fine. No issues. The carpeting around the ship was fine. Loved the Asian influence of statues, gardens, art work throughout the ship - it was really different. She's a great ship and nothing to worry about NCL is taking care of this ship well!

Enjoy your cruise!!

• 7 months later...

Thank you for pointing out this video although I could not understand a word it was still very informative and the ship looks amazing.

Sea ha

Eric

ok, this is a post 8 months old, so we can't help the op, but for others, I will give you my take: comparing the Spirit to the Allure is like apples to oranges; they are totally different classes, size, age etc. The Spirit is older with small cabins but probably as beautiful in a classy way as any ship one could sail. She does show signs of aging in little ways, like some rust on the balconies, etc. That certainly doesn't bother me. The biggest problem I could sse and we have cruised her twice is the small bathrooms, especially the potty area. The positive is; the bathrooms are beautiful. The Allure has the bells and whistles and is more of a mega ship. For people who like the intimacy of the smaller, classy ships you will love the Spirit; for those who like all the new glitz and glamour a ship like the Allure would work better.