Solo cruiser disappointed with dining

Hi,

I have done many cruises with Royal Caribbean (as well as other lines) and enjoy meeting people throughout the cruise. I recently cruised as a solo aboard the Brilliance of the Seas (Jan. 8 - 12) and was disappointed with the dining situation. When I booked the cruise, there were waiting lists for both traditional dining seatings. After I boarded the ship, I stopped by the dining room and asked if they could change me to traditional dining. I was told that no space was available for me (however, I later saw many empty seats at the second seating traditional dining). When I stated that I did not want to wait in a long line for My Time Dining, I was told to arrive around 8:30 and ask to be seated at a table with other people.

On the first three nights of the four-night cruise, I arrived at the dining room at approximately 8:30 and requested to be seated at a table with other people. On all three nights, I was told that there was no space available at tables with others and was seated alone at a table for two. Needless to say, this certainly reduced my enjoyment of dinner. On the final night of the cruise, I arrived at the dining room earlier and was seated at a large table with two other people.

Because I dined alone three nights, this greatly impaired my ability to meet people and lessened my enjoyment of the cruise. Have other solo cruisers experienced this?

I was going to mention this on my cruise evaluation (they now send this out electronically), but I have not received an e-mail with the cruise evaluation.

Also, I was disappointed that there were not any of the aerial acts in the Centrum during this cruise. Unlike previous cruises, there were not any daily activities that interested me (I ended up watching Seinfeld re-runs in my cabin). Part of this may be due to the fact that were two very large groups on the cruise that had their own activities and entertainment. However, this should not reduce the entertainment options available to people who are not members of the group.

After 20 cruises with Royal Caribbean, this cruise was my least favorite.

Chuck

Unfortunately, folks are so less social than in the past. Had we been on that cruise, we'd have gladly dined with you. We LOVE table mates...it makes dinner sooooo much more fun. I don't think dinner is just for eating...tho many folks want to be in and out in 15 mins....stuff it in as fast as they can. We consider dinner to be a social time...talk, food, laughter....it's great!

So sorry you had that experience....it's common today, tho.

I am a newly retired 58 year old teacher, and I am looking to cruise solo very soon, and I wondered how it would be for me at dinner because I love eating my meals in the MDR, but I don't want to eat alone.:confused: I have a cruise coming up, but it's with 27 family members and friends.

I think once I do it once alone, I'll be ok with it. Any solo cruisers with any tips for me about solo cruising?

Most of the cruises that I've been on has been solo. Never a problem dining with lots of very nice people. I do perfer tables of 6 over larger ones though, as I find it easier and less frantic to have a conversation.

Curiously, a couple of cruises back I sat at a table for 8 where all of us were solo. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not, but it was fun.

Most of the cruises that I've been on has been solo. Never a problem dining with lots of very nice people. I do perfer tables of 6 over larger ones though, as I find it easier and less frantic to have a conversation.

Curiously, a couple of cruises back I sat at a table for 8 where all of us were solo. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not, but it was fun.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind, a table with at least 6 people.:)

I am a newly retired 58 year old teacher, and I am looking to cruise solo very soon, and I wondered how it would be for me at dinner because I love eating my meals in the MDR, but I don't want to eat alone.:confused: I have a cruise coming up, but it's with 27 family members and friends.

I think once I do it once alone, I'll be ok with it. Any solo cruisers with any tips for me about solo cruising?

It's a personal preference but when I cruise solo I love dining in the Windjammer. Get in, get out at your own pace and there is a much better selection of food. Sometimes u end up making conversations with a nearby table or if u want u can sit in a sparse area if u don't feel like talking

Hi,

Part of the problem seemed to be My Time Dining and the fact that traditional dining was not available. In November 2014, I did a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 (which only has traditional dining) and was seated at a large table with other solo cruisers fairly close to my age. I had a wonderful time at dinner with the same people every night. Also, we did activities together during the day and still keep in touch. My recent experience on the Brilliance of the Seas was markedly different. Fortunately, my next cruise will be with Cunard. I am not inclined to book a solo cruise with Royal Caribbean anytime soon.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi,

I have done many cruises with Royal Caribbean (as well as other lines) and enjoy meeting people throughout the cruise. I recently cruised as a solo aboard the Brilliance of the Seas (Jan. 8 - 12) and was disappointed with the dining situation. When I booked the cruise, there were waiting lists for both traditional dining seatings. After I boarded the ship, I stopped by the dining room and asked if they could change me to traditional dining. I was told that no space was available for me (however, I later saw many empty seats at the second seating traditional dining). When I stated that I did not want to wait in a long line for My Time Dining, I was told to arrive around 8:30 and ask to be seated at a table with other people.

On the first three nights of the four-night cruise, I arrived at the dining room at approximately 8:30 and requested to be seated at a table with other people. On all three nights, I was told that there was no space available at tables with others and was seated alone at a table for two.

Wow Chuck, sorry to hear this. I've done a few solos and never had this issue so thanks for reporting. I find it hard to believe that as a solo you couldn't be placed at any table with others. As you dined those 3 nights, did you notice any tables around that had empty seats on a nightly basis? I've normally observe several empty seats on tables on pretty much every cruise I've been on as so any people do not do MDR at all even though they're booked for it. Maybe this sailing was just a fluke.

On the bright side, not all of your 20 cruises can be the perfect #1 best, can it ;)... one of them has to be at the bottom, so the next one can only be better. Happy cruising :D

Wow Chuck, sorry to hear this. I've done a few solos and never had this issue so thanks for reporting. I find it hard to believe that as a solo you couldn't be placed at any table with others. As you dined those 3 nights, did you notice any tables around that had empty seats on a nightly basis? I've normally observe several empty seats on tables on pretty much every cruise I've been on as so any people do not do MDR at all even though they're booked for it. Maybe this sailing was just a fluke.

On the bright side, not all of your 20 cruises can be the perfect #1 best, can it ;)... one of them has to be at the bottom, so the next one can only be better. Happy cruising :D

Hi,

Thanks for your message. On two of the nights, I was seated at the same table for two on Deck 5 near the railing overlooking traditional dining on Deck 4. There were numerous empty seats in traditional dining during second seating. I have never had this problem before on any cruise. I probably should have talked to a maitre d' about it after the first night. Obviously, the person assigning the My Time Dining seating did not try very hard to find me a seat with others. It was the same person at the desk every night. This is what made it so frustrating.

Chuck

Hi,

Thanks for your message. On two of the nights, I was seated at the same table for two on Deck 5 near the railing overlooking traditional dining on Deck 4. There were numerous empty seats in traditional dining during second seating. I have never had this problem before on any cruise. I probably should have talked to a maitre d' about it after the first night. Obviously, the person assigning the My Time Dining seating did not try very hard to find me a seat with others. It was the same person at the desk every night. This is what made it so frustrating.

Chuck

Ah, that could've been the problem... you needed to go down to the traditional Maitre'D, your problem would've been solved on night 1. You also say you've done many cruises on RCL... have you reached Diamond? The Diamond concierge would've have helped you also first day when you walked on if that was an option to you.

The person at my-time is only worried about his/her floor, not what's going on downstairs. If no share tables are on the go when you show up, she can either start one or let you know there's no one else sharing. That was likely the issue... just fluky that no one else was sharing when you were showing up at 8:30pm.

Hi,

Chuck

I think part of the problem too may be people signed up for a traditional dining time but opted for specialty dining or the buffet instead. On our last RC cruise we were not impressed with the MDR and ended up only eating there twice for dinner. We had MTD, but if we'd had traditional dining seats would have been reserved for us and they won't give those away since diners can show up late. I wonder if the roll call section might give an answer- if you have a large roll call, maybe you could link dining with someone else on there before sailing, so you always have a companion(s)?

i am sorry that happened to you. Maybe you can prevent it next time. You mention that you have done " many" royal Caribbean cruises, so what is your C&A level? At least D, I hope. As I recall, one of the benefits of being Diamond, is preferred dining room time. After I became D, reps typically offered to email or call the dining dept if our preferred dining time was wait listed; if the rep did not offer, I asked them about such a request. each time we promptly cleared the wait list. So, ask them to email Or call dining dept, especially if you are at least D.

second suggestion once you get your preferred seating, check on your roll call. you might find a friendly bunch who'd like to link dining with you so you can share a table.

if the roll call idea does not work for you, then the third suggestion is to email dining dept yourself about 2-3 weeks before the cruise to request specific table type, a large table with others in your case. officially, I think preferred table size is a D+ benefit, but it seems to work fairly well at all levels.

I hope that helps and that things go better next time.

Edited by Starry Eyes

One way to handle this in the future is to put a card on the bulletin board for solo cruisers to meet before dinner. Then, you can all set a time to dine together. It would be nice if RCL did this anyway, but since they don't, you can take advantage of the bulletin board they have set up for people to set up meetings.

I'm also a solo cruiser, I've had hit and miss with my time dining and traditional.

I was late dining on a cruise in a mixed table of ten and had even contacted rcldining prior to cruising who were able to arrange a mixed table. On the first two nights only one couple joined the table and most of the restaurant was empty. (I even showered and put extra deodorant on the second night in case it was me!)

So the next day I went to the dining room and was told they couldn't fit me in traditional. I was pretty confident they could squeeze a chair in somewhere for me so got a little grumpy with the guy and asked to speak to his boss, who in less than 3 minutes had me in traditional dining at a mixed table.

So the moral of my story is don't always take the word of the first person you speak to and just work your way up the chain of command till you get what you want. I'm pretty sure they want you to have a good holiday even if sometimes you do wonder.

I have another upcoming cruise which says Traditional dining is full I plan on getting a spot and if it's not sorted pre cruise I'm confident I'll get what I want on the ship.

I've done several cruises solo and can relate to the difficulties you experienced. I'm very happy to do my own thing during the day but meeting up with fellow cruisers in the evening for dinner is an important part of the solo cruise experience. I always ask to sit at a large table for traditional dining. On the first day I check my seating allocation and if I'm not happy with the table size I speak to the Maître D and ask to be moved. If I don't like my table mates I also ask to be moved. They appreciate that sometimes there is a mismatch and are usually more than happy to find an alternative table. I have just cancelled a cruise on Quantum where there is no main dining room and just 'dynamic dining' where you have to book tables at different restaurants every night, not good for solo cruisers. The lack of traditional dining was one of the main factors when deciding to cancel the cruise.

I've been on 3 solo cruises and have my fourth coming up.

So far, I've always gotten assigned doing which I consider important as a solo.

I wanted to do a specialty restaurant this cruise but I don't want to pre book because I want to remain flexible in case I meet other interested solo's on board.

During the day, I'm fine to explore on my own but meal time is a good time to meet others. I also eat in the main dining room for breakfast so I can be seated with others. Lunch I grab on my own.

The eating alone thing seems to be one of the biggest issues and complaints for solo travellers it seems...next to the cost we have to pay to travel solo..lol

I prefer to eat alone when solo...i hate waiting for others, i dislike being stuck at a table of people that know each other as they are in their own conversations about things they know about, can relate to etc. I dislike being put at a table with a couple, as I feel like I am ruining their "romantic" dinner together....so I don't even bother.

If there was a way for them to place solo travellers together, that would seem like a win win to me!

I much prefer to go to the windjammer myself, but I can relate to when people are disapointed to something that doesnt work out as they had wanted or planned.

I much prefer to use the pool area or bar to sit around and meet, make new friends, then sitting at a stuffy table for 2 hrs trying to make small talk....

The eating alone thing seems to be one of the biggest issues and complaints for solo travellers it seems...next to the cost we have to pay to travel solo..lol

I prefer to eat alone when solo...i hate waiting for others, i dislike being stuck at a table of people that know each other as they are in their own conversations about things they know about, can relate to etc. I dislike being put at a table with a couple, as I feel like I am ruining their "romantic" dinner together....so I don't even bother.

If there was a way for them to place solo travellers together, that would seem like a win win to me!

I much prefer to go to the windjammer myself, but I can relate to when people are disapointed to something that doesnt work out as they had wanted or planned.

I much prefer to use the pool area or bar to sit around and meet, make new friends, then sitting at a stuffy table for 2 hrs trying to make small talk....

They are not my favorite cruise line, but I have experienced and heard from others that Carnival is really good about that. On my last cruise with them, I was with 2 other singles around my age and a brother and sister traveling together. It was great - we did late seating, all went dancing together afterwards. We even met up for breakfast on our own a few times.

The time I asked to be seated with others my age in small groups on the AOS, I was with a honeymooning couple and three women celebrating their 35th together. I would I thought I would have spent more time with the 3 women, but the couple was the one that ended up asking me to hang out for a few things with them like quest and going to the club. An older than us couple actually moved to our table 1/2 through because their table was boring and they thought we looked like more fun. We were on a few excursions together coincidentally, which was nice. It was a great trip.

Last year I went on NCL Sun which was 10 nights, and I thought I would be fine eating alone every night, but I missed making those acquaintances.

Edited by queenschick9b

Certainly not my experience on Majesty in December. I booked late and was given Late dining. After boarding, I requested a switch to My Time. Was told that was not possible as it was full. So I requested a switch to Early dining. Told the maitre d' that I was fun and chatty. Request granted. I was seated at a table for 8. Six of us came on a regular basis over four nights. Have to say it was a pleasant experience. Three of my tablemates were Austrian foreign exchange students and two were students from Singapore. I became their cruise expert and answered many questions.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. If this happens in the future, I will talk to a maitre d' or the Diamond concierge (I have taken 20 cruises with Royal Caribbean and I am Diamond level). I don't like to complain, but I think it was warranted this time. The My Time Dining level of the dining room seems to be run independently of the traditional dining on the floor below. I will speak up in the future.

Thanks,

Chuck