Cruise Director Ventura?

caber

I had heard that Hughie Taylor was on until yesterday, so really hoping that it's true as we think he is hopeless. I can't find out who has replaced him but will ask on the Facebook Ventura site and see if anyone on board the moment can tell us.

I notice that cruise directors are now called entertainment managers which is of course their function.

At least on here we are not obsessed with them like they are on the Princess boards.

I am certainly not obsessed but curious. Last time on Ventura (2011) it was Leon whom we had met many years previously.

I understand Leon is now working on Cunard ships.

Similarly who is Entertainments manager/director doesn't really affect us, but did notice that when we had Neil Oliver last year the over all atmosphere and energy of the entertainments team was excellent.

If you go on P&O cruises own website, click on the help and advice tab, type the question who are the senior officers?, you should be able to access all senior officers on all ships including entertainment managers.

I understand Leon is now working on Cunard ships.

Similarly who is Entertainments manager/director doesn't really affect us, but did notice that when we had Neil Oliver last year the over all atmosphere and energy of the entertainments team was excellent.

Agreed, in summer, the sailaways with Neil were fantastic. In Nov in the Caribbean, if they tried a sailaway, with Hughie, it just fizzled out and died. The team seemed to have no oomph at all.

To be fair, Neil is a young guy and Hughie has years of experience behind him.

I find it interesting that on these forums some 'cruise directors' get a very bad press, yet the cruise line retains their services, why :confused:

Probably because the overwhelming part of their job is administrative and personnel management and people who are good at that will keep their jobs. A manager who is constantly round the ship interacting with passengers is not doing their job, they should be back in the office!.

Tend to agree. Couldn't care less about sailaways. They are always far too loud and do all this waving of arms. We avoid.

Having said that, cruised on Oriana last October and joined the passenger choir led by Natalie Milverton who I thought was very good, but not sure I would have met her if there had not been a choir.

I find it interesting that on these forums some 'cruise directors' get a very bad press, yet the cruise line retains their services, why

Simply because good all round MC's won't do long cruise ship contracts, there are the occasional gems but they are hard to find.

Edited by richleeds

I looked up the officers list as per pete14's advise and it says H Taylor from 13/03 To 11/05 it appears to have gaps in the lists though. We will be sailing during this time, I have a feeling we have had him before but not sure.

I am certainly not obsessed but curious. Last time on Ventura (2011) it was Leon whom we had met many years previously.

Yes we had Leon on our first cruise in 2011 which was on Ventura. We also had him on Queen Victoria in December and he said he was going back to P & O soon, I just looked up the officers list and it says on Oriana

Helen, there's a rumour its Tracy Clegg???? We'll just have to wait and see. Not long now :D

Tracey Clegg is probably preparing with Neil Oliver on Britannia at the moment as they seem to be sharing the maiden season. I guess it is possible she may be on Ventura for a few weeks before transferring though just to keep her hand in.

I'm surprised that Hughie wasn't scrapped along with the Canberra at the Gadani breakers yard;)

I know it isnt good to pinpoint individuals but I have to agree. He has ben CD on two of our cruises and IMO is useless. Hardly visible, poor entertainment, at the Great British Sailaway he stood and handed out flags (only to those who came to him) and we overheard him fawning over a Strictly star which was utterley embarrasing (even the star looked embarrassed).

Weve been on the Eclipse with Sue as CD and the difference is incredible. She is everywhere and talks to everyone and is genuinely interested in how you are enjoying your cruise.

Whilst some might not be bothered about which CD they have having experienced both extremes, a good CD does make a difference to your enjoyment of your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We've just returned from the Ventura and I have to agree with the comments about Hughie Taylor. He was absolutely useless and always has an irritating smug expression on his face. Several times he gave out incorrect information about activities etc and after one show he told the audience they had to alter their clocks that night which turned out to be incorrect. This caused a lot of confusion the following day with passengers missing some of the activities. I didn't hear him announce his mistake or apology!

P&O need to let someone younger have a go. Neil Oliver is so much better.

When we were on Ventura at the beginning of February it wasn`t Hughie Taylor who was CD. We had a female. I can`t remember her name but she seemed quite good.

As far as Neil Oliver is concerned, he can`t be too young as he was with P&O in 1995 when I first cruised, as a dance instructor.

When we were on Ventura at the beginning of February it wasn`t Hughie Taylor who was CD. We had a female. I can`t remember her name but she seemed quite good.

As far as Neil Oliver is concerned, he can`t be too young as he was with P&O in 1995 when I first cruised, as a dance instructor.

We had Neil on Britannia these last couple of weeks. He was excellent. His team make a joke that he says he is 30. They showed a video of him on Come Dancing 30 years ago so Im guesssing he is 50ish. He is a very good cruise director though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, in summer, the sailaways with Neil were fantastic. In Nov in the Caribbean, if they tried a sailaway, with Hughie, it just fizzled out and died. The team seemed to have no oomph at all.

To be fair, Neil is a young guy and Hughie has years of experience behind him.

I'm sure Neil would be very flattered that you called him a young guy.

I agree that the CD (or Ents Manager!) has a mainly administrative and personnel function but I disagree that it doesn't matter who this person is. Entertainment in all its guises plays a big part in our cruises and a good manager leads his / her staff well to generate a happy friendly atmosphere on board and makes sure the right shows or activities take place in the right place at the right time with the right Ents officer

Edited by tartanexile81