Charging more than 200% for a solo - shame on you RCL!!

westcoasttech

I received yesterday, probably like a lot of you, an email from RCCL pushing their "Ocean Voyages", in other words some spring transatlantics. As I took the Liberty last spring and had a great time, I thought I would investigate further.

For the Allure 12 night TA, for 2 people, cheapest available (which is an inside guarantee) comes out, with taxes and C&A discount, at around the $1,600 (Canadian) total for the couple.

However, when you put in only 1 person, the guarantee is not available, so the cheapest available (a small interior) comes out, with taxes and C&A discount, at around the $1,800 mark.

So I would end up paying 200%++ to travel as a solo. Really RCCL, I may like your product, but that's just not nice!!

Think I'll keep looking...

RCCL isn't the only one who does this. I no longer even bother with getting quotes from Cunard, because I got so many fabulous-price spams that in the fine print were "not available to singles". This in spite of quoting my Cunard World Club number, which even minimally competent data analysis would show I have never booked double occupancy with them.

I understand the basis for why there is a single supplement, but am outraged that some cruise lines are posting fares that have supplements that are two or three times the amount of an additional person. Princess and RCL seem to be especially guilty of this lately. A wag of the finger!

They charge what the market will bear......

I will not pay a 200% solo fare with anyone, ever, but there are some people who don't care about the percentage increase if they total is within their budget. To each his/her own, and the companies will do what they can to fill their ships and make as much money as they legally can.

I understand the basis for why there is a single supplement, but am outraged that some cruise lines are posting fares that have supplements that are two or three times the amount of an additional person. Princess and RCL seem to be especially guilty of this lately. A wag of the finger!

I suppose their thinking is that they have to charge more to make up for the fact that two people will spend more on board than one person, even with the single supplement. It's still a crummy practice, though.

And then have a no show of the second person on sailing date? They cannot charge you more than the double amount which you have already paid can they?

What do I not understand here?

If you were to book as a two person trip wouldn't you have to provide all the other individuals information as well? I don't think too many of my friends would be happy with me using their information when they wouldn't actually be going..:p

I just checked solo prices on a Princess cruise and they had a slight discount (approx. 25%) for solos for the inside cabin category.

Just curious, which cruise(s) were you looking at where Princess is charging solos more than double? I've never seen that before on Princess - I've only sailed RCCL once but that was years ago.

Yes,you would have to give info onyour mythical cabin mate. You could just tell the company it was a surprise gift to your mum,and you would be making all the payments ,including onbosrd ones,and donot want her to receive any emails etc then all you need to get from her, or a good friend is their passport number,birthdate etc. They are not doing anything immoral,illegal or fattening!

Nothing will happen to them when they don't show up.

Every cruise has folks who cannot/donot/make it to board. You will receive the port fees back for the second no travelling guest.

There is an online travel agent who has a list of single supplements at special rates which changes as cruise lines change their rates,presently there are several at 0% ,mainly norwegian ,and on up to 38%. I cannot tellyou the name but think burgers to go,and use vacations instead. Good luck. Single info is online near top of intropage

Edited by muffin
Info

• 5 months later...

You are absolutely right, I have looked into many different ships and sailing dates on RCI, almost all of them were charging 300% for a solo cruiser. I find it to be absurd.

I just booked my 2nd solo on RCL, and paid 150% for a 10 day cruise with a buy one - get one 50% off sale. I was told they're running that promotion this month. I just finished my first solo with them, which I booked about a month ago at the same 150% price. I use a TA with one of the discount cruise companies who has helped me for several years (I liked him the first time, and have gone back to him directly ever since). I've been able to trust him to research deals for me, instead of relying on those junk emails with the small print exceptions from the cruise lines or the online booking engines that may not be updated quickly.

Last year he booked a balcony cabin with NCL for me, and I was only charged for only one person (I had purchased a second cabin for the kids). That's clearly a much better deal than anything I've seen in a RCL offer. I had called him looking for a RCL cruise. He suggested we consider NCL that week, because he had been able to get some other passengers good deals based on "hidden sales." I never did see that particular deal offered anywhere online.

It does feel like buying a used car sometimes. Seems like everyone on the ships pay a slightly different price...and it depends on who you talk to, the day of the week, etc.

Never liked RCL. If you are talking Fall TA you are too early for the really good fares. They rarely sail full so good singles fares appear week or two before final payment date. I have been on nine. For a good singles experience look at Celebrity. Watch on the discount agencies online or Celebritys Xciting deals.com for listings closer to sail. Usually a 50% singles supplement. And a nice diverse singles group who often dine together.(ask for singles table when you book).

It does feel like buying a used car sometimes. Seems like everyone on the ships pay a slightly different price...and it depends on who you talk to, the day of the week, etc.

That's a huge part of why I never talk about it -- it avoids "buyer's remorse"; I just think about enjoying myself, regardless of whether someone else paid more or less than I did.