Red Eye...

goduckies05

So looks like I am taking the Red Eye in. Not sure which one yet from the Bay Area on Feb 28th to Miami. Has anyone here ever done it? I got FTTF so I can take a nap on the ship right away if I need to. I wanted to come in a day before, but my boss needed me that day.

Be prepared for your outbound to be delayed. There is a good chance your plane has flown many routes that day prior to arriving at your airport. Delays are inevitable and even a weather disturbance in New England has the potential to interrupt your scheduled itinerary.

About two or three days prior to takeoff, you may be able to track the plane's tail number and see the inbound flight to each airport on FlightAware, depending upon your airline.

Edited by Pixelate

That I can live with. They will still get out and i will try to make sure it isn't a connection through a cold climate. Nonstop even better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Departing February 25 for a nonstop to the MIA/FLL:

586b30a32c916e9427352c2d069ade7d.png

Statistics:

Virgin America Flight #346 SFO-FLL

Jan 7, 2015 - Jan 18, 2015, all flights scheduled to depart 11:10pm

758685a90cf1d2b6ae01a1c98ff9a081.png

American Airlines Flight #272 SFO-MIA

Jan 8, 2015 - Jan 20, 2015, all flights scheduled to depart 11:50pm

3282f9e348f4785ef548d171a8fc9f5f.png

I hope the above helps you get a feel for the on time performance of these flights for the past few days!

I have done it into Orlando, then drove over to Port Canaveral.

It wasn't awful, but not ideal. Coming from the west coast and headed east is always difficult. But, originally, my air was booked for something else, and I shoehorned a 4-night cruise into my plans, so I was kind of stuck.

The FTTF does, indeed, help, as you can just be more relaxed once you board.

We were among the first 25 people on the ship, went to room, dumped carry ons, and were on deck within 30 minutes of arriving at port. Loved it.

(I then took a nap before muster drill)

Enjoy!

I think I will book the virgin Air one. Nonstop is always safer, no way to miss a connection. How early does carnivals shuttle work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

That's the flight I would have chosen, given your situation. I'm not sure when Carnival's shuttle starts running, but I have read a lot of people on CC mention SAS Transportation, so it may be worth looking into them.

That's the flight I would have chosen, given your situation. I'm not sure when Carnival's shuttle starts running, but I have read a lot of people on CC mention SAS Transportation, so it may be worth looking into them.

Unfortunately ridesas can not transport from mia to miami cruise pier. One end of the trip has to be from Fort Lauderdale airport or cruise pier.

I would just take a cab. Fixed rate $24

Bill

Unfortunately ridesas can not transport from mia to miami cruise pier. One end of the trip has to be from Fort Lauderdale airport or cruise pier.

I would just take a cab. Fixed rate $24

Bill

According to post # 4, his Virgin America flight lands at FLL, so SAS is doable.

You are quite correct.

My apologies :o

Bill

Honest mistake Bill, no need to apologize. We have all surface read and responded on here and sometimes we hit a speed bump and we assume it's one thing when in reality it's another. No big deal.

Unless you are up front with lie-flat seats you can have that red eye stuff. :eek:

I did in on AA from SEA to DFW up front on a 737 with no lie-flat and it was brutal. I couldn't imagine doing in the back.

I've done it, and while it's not pleasant, I've learned the tricks to it. I am normally an aisle sleeper, but I go all-in with the window on red-eyes. I have a few drinks before, I get myself dressed comfortably, and I have hopefully had a busy day (hopefully with exercise) leading up to it.

I flew LAX-DFW a few months ago in the back (super busy elite flight and my upgrade sadly fell one seat short), which is only about 2.5 hours in the air at most, and slept from wheels up to practically wheels down, and it was a surprisingly solid sleep too.

I've done it, and while it's not pleasant, I've learned the tricks to it. I am normally an aisle sleeper, but I go all-in with the window on red-eyes. I have a few drinks before, I get myself dressed comfortably, and I have hopefully had a busy day (hopefully with exercise) leading up to it.

I flew LAX-DFW a few months ago in the back (super busy elite flight and my upgrade sadly fell one seat short), which is only about 2.5 hours in the air at most, and slept from wheels up to practically wheels down, and it was a surprisingly solid sleep too.

Missed by one..that sucks. The upgrade game is so much fun, at this point I just see how far I fall by take off. I went IAH-EWR in Dec (took the flight on a 777 to get a better chance)...started at #4 at the 24hr mark....at boarding I was down to 26 :eek: Did one in Sept (same route) on a A320 (I think) and was 32 at take off...my personal best so far. :D

Missed by one..that sucks. The upgrade game is so much fun, at this point I just see how far I fall by take off. I went IAH-EWR in Dec (took the flight on a 777 to get a better chance)...started at #4 at the 24hr mark....at boarding I was down to 26 :eek: Did one in Sept (same route) on a A320 (I think) and was 32 at take off...my personal best so far. :D

Ya win some, ya lose some. My upgrades sometimes clear 100 hours out, and sometimes I am biting my nails at the gate. But particularly on a short redeye after a long few days of work in LA, missing by one spot was painful.

On the other hand, I've shown up at the airport wanting to get on an earlier flight, and due to cancellations earlier in the day there have been 100 people on the standby list, and I've gone immediately to #1 on the standby list. Heck, I even ended up in F on that flight if I remember correctly.

So, yep...win some, lose some.

So, yep...win some, lose some.

My most memorable....one Monday morning at MSP for the first flight out to MEM on NW. Sold-out 100 seat Diesel Nine. Gate agent comes on the PA and says, "We will not be having elite boarding this morning as 82 of you have status". Suffice to say, lots of folks didn't clear. :D

My most memorable....one Monday morning at MSP for the first flight out to MEM on NW. Sold-out 100 seat Diesel Nine. Gate agent comes on the PA and says, "We will not be having elite boarding this morning as 82 of you have status". Suffice to say, lots of folks didn't clear. :D

I can't remember which airline I was flying at the time but on one very elite heavy flight the GA announced they were going to do things slightly differently and called for F initially, then worked down each of the tiers in order. At the time it an airline that allowed all premium cabin and elite passengers to board simultaneously. Was quite a few years ago now so I'm trying to remember who it was.

I remember thinking it was a good idea, probably because I was booked in F as a top tier elite.

Edited by fbgd

Something kinda like that happened to me. There were a series of cancellations throughout the day on the DFW-LAX route a few years back, but I was previously scheduled on a later departure (say, 9:30pm or so). The standby list was something like 350 people. I got to talking to the F/A on F onboard and she said that the flight originally had only about 40 people scheduled, but was now going out full with approximately 90 standbys. 88 of them were AA Gold or higher, and something like 70 were PLAT or higher.