Any issues with kids sailing with birth cerfiicates?

OUgal

I'm sailing a closed-loop cruise to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan on the Jewel. My 8-year-old son will be traveling with me and does not have a passport. I am hoping to just bring his birth certificate for documentation. Has anyone recently sailed with kids and only used the kids' birth certificates for government documentation?

We have taken our kids on two cruises using birth certificates, and have had absolutely no problems. Make sure that you have their official certificates with the county seal on it. Also, if the child's other parent is not going on the cruise you need their permission in writing to take your child out of the country.

Have fun!

OUgal:

Here's what you need to understand: It is legal for your kids to sail with their birth certificates, BUT, if something were to happen at a port outside of the US and you missed the ship (for example, one of your kids breaks a bone and is hospitalized or your family somehow misses the ship) then you would have to get passports for your kids BEFORE you could return to the US. Some islands have US consulates and others don't, so you might have to travel from one island to another to get the passport. It can be a complicated and time consuming situation without a passport.

Why not use the passport card? They are much cheaper than a passport book. We have them for our kids. They are not good for air travel but will work for cruises beginning and ending in the US.

But a birth certificate that costs you $0 (presumably you received one when the child was born) works just as well for US closed loop cruises. Why spend money for something that doesn't have any benefit over what you have for free?

But a birth certificate that costs you $0 (presumably you received one when the child was born) works just as well for US closed loop cruises. Why spend money for something that doesn't have any benefit over what you have for free?

Actually, my son's birth certificate cost us $12.50 a piece. Not sure about other states. We still got him a passport.

Actually, my son's birth certificate cost us $12.50 a piece. Not sure about other states. We still got him a passport.

Even if your state charges for the child's first birth certificate, once you have it there's no additional expense to use it for travel.

The poster to whom I was responding did not get passports for their children, they got passport cards. A passport card is of no greater value for a closed loop cruise than the children's birth certificates they already possessed. They spent money on something that was of no additional value above the birth certificates, which would cost them $0 to use for travel because they already had them.

Getting a passport, as you did, is an entirely different matter. A passport can be used for all manner of international travel to any country by any mode of transportation. The passport card can't.

Edited by njhorseman

Nice... We just spent over $200 for passports for our boys that expire in 5 years. Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In that 5 year period you may find that you want to travel to a country or by a mode of transportation where they're needed. If so, you'll be all set.

I will hop on this thread to confirm what I was told. An adult can sail with just a birth cert (with seal) and picture ID, a DL? I just want to confirm with those that know. We're on the NCL Gem from NYC.

I will hop on this thread to confirm what I was told. An adult can sail with just a birth cert (with seal) and picture ID, a DL? I just want to confirm with those that know. We're on the NCL Gem from NYC.

Yes, US citizen adults also may travel with their birth certificate (seal or not as long as it is issued by a government entity and not a hospital)(for those who are US citizens but not born here a Consular Report of birth abroad or Naturalization Certificate will work) and a government issued photo ID on a closed loop cruise.

My experience: yes the law says a copy of birth certificate is enough.

But be prepared for a grumpy customs worker who does not care what the treaty says on closed loop sailings, they like to see passports.

So when confronted with this, just do your best to keep calm and hope the worker will see reason (and if necessary keep hot tempered spouse away).

We were able to get through on way home thru NYC, but it was trying, and my 10 yr old almost forgot his birthdate and middle name when asked (interrogated by customs).

We now have passports for boys. While law is on our side, one mean customs worker could delay us for hours if they so choose.

My experience: yes the law says a copy of birth certificate is enough.

But be prepared for a grumpy customs worker who does not care what the treaty says on closed loop sailings, they like to see passports.

So when confronted with this, just do your best to keep calm and hope the worker will see reason (and if necessary keep hot tempered spouse away).

We were able to get through on way home thru NYC, but it was trying, and my 10 yr old almost forgot his birthdate and middle name when asked (interrogated by customs).

We now have passports for boys. While law is on our side, one mean customs worker could delay us for hours if they so choose.

I have had several say I should get a passport and I just smile and say "thank you for the advice". I'm not going to get something that I don't need just to make their job easier (which is why they like passports). I doubt that they would send you to secondary inspection over this and they are under a time limit for processing each passenger.

When you do your online check in it asked what I'd you will use and you enter that info. My children sailed with birth certificates and my husband, who's passport just expired will use his bc on our march cruise. If it was not acceptable id why list it as acceptable on the online checkin page? I think your bc for your kids will suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2015 Epic

2014 Breakaway

2013 Epic

2012 Gem

2011 Gem

2008 Explorer of the Seas

Agree logic says they should follow the letter of the law.

I am just advising to be patient as my experience has been that US Customs agents do not take kindly to a lesson in US International Law.

It is a control thing, this one person can either A) accept your docs or

B) ask you and your family to step out of line, wait for supervisor etc just in general take time from you

You are in the right and you will prevail it is all about how long it may take

• 4 weeks later...