Seasickness on the oasis

Natmom

Hello,

DH is prone to motion sickness. We have cruised twice on the disney fantasy and he wore the patch both times and was fine. I have heard that the oasis is really stable and we are debating skipping the patch because of the mildly annoying side effects. We are sailing in May eastern Caribbean. Can anyone offer any first hand experiences ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you decide to go without the patch, it is a good idea to bring some over the counter meds, in case of rough seas.

Will you be considering any excursions that may include some small boat travel ( i.e. a snorkeling excursion or parasailing)? if so, you may want to take that into consideration when deciding about the patch.

good luck and enjoy

m

Not really sure anyone can tell you conclusively whether he should or should not wear the patch. While yes the ship will be larger, you never know what the seas will do. Rough seas on a large ship will be worse than calm seas on a small ship.

Depending on what the side effects are with the patch and how bad the motion sickness can get you need to decide which you are willing to take a chance on. Anyone who tells you that just because you are on a larger ship you won't have a problem doesn't realize just how unpredictable the seas can be.

My DH normally uses the patches. He took a chance on Oasis in the Mediterranean last September and didn't use them and was fine! However the sea was very calm- similar to the Caribbean really. Might be a good idea to use one for the first couple of days when sailing down to the Caribbean and then decide whether to continue depending on how calm the Caribbean is!

I get really seasick and take non-drowsy Dramamine ( or a generic) and it works great for me. I also take a couple of ginger pills a day.

I only tried the patch once and it had a weird affect on me so I stick with the pills.

I get seasick, and travelled on the allure and was absolutely fine! I didn't even feel the motion of the ship whilst lying in bed at night which is when I find it the worst! They do have motion travel tablets at guest services as well which are really good for a back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone! I am going to take the patch (we are in Canada and it is over the counter here) and I was going to take gravol as well. As long as I have everything he may try without or go without after the first 3 day patch. He loves the patch except for the dry mouth that goes along with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually take a Central Park balcony and barely feel as though we are at sea, unless we go to the pool area. As a side, the first time my daughter and my SIL came on a cruise with us on the Serenade, we heard a knock on our door and it was my SIL asking for Dramamine for my daughter--we were still docked. LOL

Bring the patch! In May 2014 our oasis sailing in the eastern caribbean had two days of rough seas. No storms or anything but just very rough seas to the point that the bathroom doors were opening and closing on their own and Aqua shows were cancelled. It was the most movement I've ever felt on a cruise. Bring it just in case.

We usually take a Central Park balcony and barely feel as though we are at sea, unless we go to the pool area. As a side, the first time my daughter and my SIL came on a cruise with us on the Serenade, we heard a knock on our door and it was my SIL asking for Dramamine for my daughter--we were still docked. LOL

I am guessing it was needed for precaution - or was it the power of suggestion? I don't believe the ship usually has much motion at embarkation port.

M

From someone who has gotten seasick, taking ginger pills a couple of days before the cruise and then a couple every day of the cruise really really helps. Also eating green apples can take the feeling away, and they always have then on the ship. The patch works, but I always get a bounce back feeling when I get off the ship. It takes me a couple of days to feel normal again. Hope this helps.

We were on the deck 9th aft balcony and the last cruise there was a few nights were we could feel the waves rocking. I remember having to get up to lock the safe because it kept banging against the closet

I have been on the Oasis and the Allure and don't be fooled, they can rock with the best of them. If it's windy and you are in a Boardwalk balcony it will definitely rock as I have experienced first hand. Take the patch because once the seasickness starts it can't be stopped so why risk it. You should always alternate the left and the right part of the neck. Have a great cruise!!

Maybe I'm just lucky. We were on the Oasis in 2011and enjoyed one of the roughest cruises. So many people being sick, including quite a few staff. Our cabin steward told us it was the worst he had experienced on Oasis sine it first came to North America. Good move coming prepared. You never know what conditions you will encounter. With us there was no storm, just fairly strong winds.