Any Canadians changing their cruising plans?

deercottage

o

DH and I have a cruise coming up but we have paid for it in full already.

Saying that, last night I was not sure if I wanted to book a certain hotel in USA for the 2 nights before our cruise. I was booking in Canadian dollars. Thought that I would wait another day. By noon today it had gone up $6.00 per night.

I do remember about 10 years ago when our dollar was very low and we cruised. I believe though that the prices of the cruises were not as expensive as they are now. The exchange rate on $10,000.00 is a lot more than the exchange rate on $5,000.00.

Bottom line, we probably will cruise yearly to get away from the snow, but maybe not B2B Caribbean, just 1 cruise.

We should do what Switzerland did.

o

Canada cannot do what Switzerland did. The Swiss had previously capped the relationship of CHF to the Euro to keep it from becoming too expensive because of the business between Switzerland and the rest of Europe. With the massive drop of the Euro they decided to remove that cap and let it float in relationship to the Euro.

Canada already floats its currency.

While the value of the Canadian dollar is currently bad for Canadians traveling outside of the country and for the price of imports, it is actually a good thing for Canadian businesses that export and in general is a good thing for the Canadian economy.

The Canadian dollar is linked closely to the price of oil, which is defined in US dollars. Oil is impacted by both the strong US dollar, as well as the current supply glut.

Edited by RDC1

When the Canadian dollar nosedived another 2 cents recently, that's when I pulled the plug on our Insignia cruise from Montreal to Southampton with a five day add on in London. When we booked last June, the Canadian dollar was at .97 cents. U.S. It has plummeted to .78 cents. The $30,000.00 U.S. cost would now be north of $40,000 Canadian. Just made the decision that it does not feel comfortable. We are still going on a 16 day Norwegian cruise in April. The exchange rate has been held at 12% and not the 26% that it might otherwise cost. Thank you, Norwegian!

I want all of you Canadians to remember how this feels when the situation is reversed (as it someday must be).

The absolute glee with which the misfortunes of the U.S. Dollar is greeted here, is sometimes very hard for citizens of the United States to read.

* Note that I did not usurp the word American in an effort to be sensitive ;)

Edited by StanandJim

I want all of you Canadians to remember how this feels when the situation is reversed (as it someday must be).

The absolute glee with which the misfortunes of the U.S. Dollar is greeted here, is sometimes very hard for citizens of the United States to read.

* Note that I did not usurp the word American in an effort to be sensitive ;)

Stan, we have been on the other side more years than you have. Our PM needs to go. He is wrecking our economy and the world needs to realize that the Canadian economy is not JUST oil based. Barclays Bank in England just did a real number on Canadian banks, which caused their stocks to tumble, as the Canadian dollar has been gaining strength on the UK pound. It is not only the USD that gets hit by other countries.

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly has deferred any chance of our returning to O in the near future. This is sad as on our last O cruise I managed to pick up a gastro thing Onboard and missed Polo and Jacques.

I know they have offered some special Canadian discounting for specific sailings which is appreciated. Unfortunately not the sailings for us.

Also going internal with a trip to Newfoundland planned for late June.

I just want to chime in to say that I have done many road trips to Canada from the U.S. The first was in the summer of 1964, and we've done quite a few since. Canada is one of my favorite destinations. On top of the wonderful scenery, the people are so lovely and friendly -- and speak our language.

(Well, Quebequois excepted, I guess, if only because those of us down below who speak French, or even some French, don't necessarily speak the Canadian version.)

But Canada remains one of our favorite destinations. Most recently we took Danish friends there a year ago ... We thought it was time for them to see the Pacific Northwest.

Mura

Does Oceania not have a CND website like oceania.ca which would give you the prices in CND like Princess, NCL, Celebrity etc so you can book cruises in CND at between 1.08 and 1.10? I know that when X rolls out their itinerary the rate is fixed for that cruise. For eg Alaska 2015 the rate differential is 1.07, for 2016 the rate is 1.13 and for a Apr 2017 cruise it is 1.14. I am sure when the rest of the 2017 itineraries open up there will be a big uptick. With X the rate does not change for the "life" of the itinerary so you can gift yourself OBC at the rate offered by X which is a huge bonus for us.

Does Oceania not have a CND website like oceania.ca which would give you the prices in CND like Princess, NCL, Celebrity etc so you can book cruises in CND at between 1.08 and 1.10? I know that when X rolls out their itinerary the rate is fixed for that cruise. For eg Alaska 2015 the rate differential is 1.07, for 2016 the rate is 1.13 and for a Apr 2017 cruise it is 1.14. I am sure when the rest of the 2017 itineraries open up there will be a big uptick. With X the rate does not change for the "life" of the itinerary so you can gift yourself OBC at the rate offered by X which is a huge bonus for us.

Nope. No Canadian prices although I just got a flyer from Regent with specials for Canadians in Canadian dollars so maybe Oceania will follow suit

Nope. No Canadian prices although I just got a flyer from Regent with specials for Canadians in Canadian dollars so maybe Oceania will follow suit

How do the prices compare to the US brochure??

I wonder what the exchange rate they use

How do the prices compare to the US brochure??

I wonder what the exchange rate they use

Just the couple that I checked actually look ok compared to their website. Sept 6, 10 day round trip Istanbul shows $9299 us on the website and $8090 Cdn in the brochure. May 3. Dubai to Barcelona is $11,309 Cdn in the brochure and $12,799 us on the website.

I didn't know that those cruise lines make bookings available in CAD $$. Royal Caribbean has CAD $$ bookings as well. Carnival doesn't book in CAD.

Just the couple that I checked actually look ok compared to their website. Sept 6, 10 day round trip Istanbul shows $9299 us on the website and $8090 Cdn in the brochure. May 3. Dubai to Barcelona is $11,309 Cdn in the brochure and $12,799 us on the website.

Thanks

I am conversion rate challenged ..not sure if it is a good deal or not :D

Maybe things will look better in the morning ;)

I didn't know that those cruise lines make bookings available in CAD $$. Royal Caribbean has CAD $$ bookings as well. Carnival doesn't book in CAD.

if you book cruise through the Canadian wholesaler they are priced in CAD

Thanks

I am conversion rate challenged ..not sure if it is a good deal or not :D

Maybe things will look better in the morning ;)

Well I've had some wine, a caeser and a martini but the prices look pretty good to me :) The ones I checked were actually cheaper in Cdn. than US from the website.

Well I've had some wine, a caeser and a martini but the prices look pretty good to me :) The ones I checked were actually cheaper in Cdn. than US from the website.

That what I was thinking but is it too good to be true :D

I would have thought it would be more in CAD :confused:

If these prices don't come direct from Oceania, I'd suggest proceeding with extreme caution.

I've heard of situations where third parties get you locked into a nonrefundable "deal", and then make an "unavoidable price adjustment" due to an "unfortunate clerical error".

Meanwhile, all that YOU can do is pay and smile, or lose the cruise entirely.

If these prices ARE direct from the Cruise Line, then jump on them quickly! :D

If these prices don't come direct from Oceania, I'd suggest proceeding with extreme caution.

I've heard of situations where third parties get you locked into a nonrefundable "deal", and then make an "unavoidable price adjustment" due to an "unfortunate clerical error".

Meanwhile, all that YOU can do is pay and smile, or lose the cruise entirely.

If these prices ARE direct from the Cruise Line, then jump on them quickly! :D

It's from Regent, not Oceania. We were just stating there's hope that Oceania may eventually come up with some a Canadian pricing as it looks like regent is doing it.

if the brochure has the fares listed in CAD then someone used the wrong conversion tool

they converted USD to CAD so US people should ask for the Canadian price

Many years ago when we Canadians did get cruise prices in CAD it was always higher than the US brochures plus the added 10+ % to the conversion

going by the current bank rate of exchange (not the rate you & I get)

$8090 CAD = $6473 USD

That is quite a savings from the US prices

I wonder if anyone will jump on that deal & get that price ;)

if the brochure has the fares listed in CAD then someone used the wrong conversion tool

they converted USD to CAD so US people should ask for the Canadian price

Many years ago when we Canadians did get cruise prices in CAD it was always higher than the US brochures plus the added 10+ % to the conversion

going by the current bank rate of exchange (not the rate you & I get)

$8090 CAD = $6473 USD

That is quite a savings from the US prices

I wonder if anyone will jump on that deal & get that price ;)

I did say earlier that I don't have the US brochure so can only compare to the website. I agree though, quite the savings

I think there may be some confusion re the pricing for Canadians. It is still priced in US dollars so that is why it is less.

I stand corrected. You're right. I shouldn't read cruise brochures under the influence of martinis :). They are offering a 13% discount to Canadians but the pricing is still in US$. Good deal if anyone has a US account with some spare cash in it.

I stand corrected. You're right. I shouldn't read cruise brochures under the influence of martinis :). They are offering a 13% discount to Canadians but the pricing is still in US$. Good deal if anyone has a US account with some spare cash in it.

Those darn Martinis will get you every time :D

I have a US Account but almost empty :(

Besides we are the Regent type of passenger

Lyn