Our Not So Epic Adventure with Pics 1/11/15-1/18/15

tomsuelaw

I get the feeling that the OP may not come back... I hope that I'm wrong!

Was her trip that bad?? YIKES:eek:

We were on that cruise, and agree that the staff wasn't the friendliest! We encountered more issues with service, cold eggs at Taste and O'Sheehan's. Also 1 of our group had the ribs at O'Sheehans that weren't done, and just plain indifference with staff in general.

We go in with low expectations and as Sue mentioned not overly hard to please, but this cruise there were some issue that shouldn't have happened .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on that cruise, and agree that the staff wasn't the friendliest! We encountered more issues with service, cold eggs at Taste and O'Sheehan's. Also 1 of our group had the ribs at O'Sheehans that weren't done, and just plain indifference with staff in general.

We go in with low expectations and as Sue mentioned not overly hard to please, but this cruise there were some issue that shouldn't have happened .

So sorry to hear!! :( I'm getting a little more nervous now:confused::rolleyes::cool:

So sorry to hear!! :( I'm getting a little more nervous now:confused::rolleyes::cool:

Don't be nervous! We were on the sailing the week the after the OP and had nothing but pleasant experiences with all of the crew. Nearly all the room stewards and staff said hello to us in hallways, bar staff were friendly and efficient, and MDR staff were friendly too, despite the number of large groups on our sailing and being quite busy. We had one issue with a guest services staff member, but it was resolved on the ship.

I understand sailings can vary from week to week and the OP may have had experiences she hasn't yet posted about, but I can tell you our experience sailing the Epic was very good.

Go and enjoy your cruise!

Please don't be. We were on the Epic twice. Loved the ship and the crew! A smile goes a long way with the crew ;)

I was on the same sailing as the OP and I have to kind of agree that there were quite a few crew members who were just plain rude and really acted like they didn't want to be there. The very first bartender I encountered was not good in any way. He told me they couldn't do frozen drinks until after 1pm, ignored 2 guys who were trying to order their drinks, and actually told one of them that he was only allowed to give him 1 drink at a time b/c they were too busy... when the other bartender at the same bar came over 5 min after I tried to order my frozen drink and started making one for someone else, I asked the first guy if I could get my frozen drink and he again said no not until after 1pm... I laughed and moved to the other end of the bar and got my drink... that was the beginning of the trip, there were a few other not so pleasant encounters, but there were just as many, if not more awesome interactions with the staff... I wasn't too fond of the cruise director, (cant remember his name...)but the rest of the cruise staff was great! Friendly, happy and made sure I was having a great time every time I saw them.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I was on the same sailing as the OP and I have to kind of agree that there were quite a few crew members who were just plain rude and really acted like they didn't want to be there. The very first bartender I encountered was not good in any way. He told me they couldn't do frozen drinks until after 1pm, ignored 2 guys who were trying to order their drinks, and actually told one of them that he was only allowed to give him 1 drink at a time b/c they were too busy... when the other bartender at the same bar came over 5 min after I tried to order my frozen drink and started making one for someone else, I asked the first guy if I could get my frozen drink and he again said no not until after 1pm... I laughed and moved to the other end of the bar and got my drink... that was the beginning of the trip, there were a few other not so pleasant encounters, but there were just as many, if not more awesome interactions with the staff... I wasn't too fond of the cruise director, (cant remember his name...)but the rest of the cruise staff was great! Friendly, happy and made sure I was having a great time every time I saw them.

That's a shame :(

That's a shame :(

It didn't deter me from NCL. I just booked 2 cruises on the Getaway when she moves to the Western Caribbean since I loved that ship and loved the ports I just visited. I wasn't a fan of the Epic layout, and lack of being outside with a view of the ocean (like the waterfront on GA )I did LOVE the solo cabin/ lounge and the entertainment, but the ship itself just wasn't my favorite. Although it still beats out the Carnival Splendor, who's layout was just down right annoying! I still had a great time and met a few awesome people along the way!

It didn't deter me from NCL. I just booked 2 cruises on the Getaway when she moves to the Western Caribbean since I loved that ship and loved the ports I just visited. I wasn't a fan of the Epic layout, and lack of being outside with a view of the ocean (like the waterfront on GA )I did LOVE the solo cabin/ lounge and the entertainment, but the ship itself just wasn't my favorite. Although it still beats out the Carnival Splendor, who's layout was just down right annoying! I still had a great time and met a few awesome people along the way!

After having been on the Breakaway and Getaway (love the Waterfront), Epic just pales in comparison

After having been on the Breakaway and Getaway (love the Waterfront), Epic just pales in comparison

Nothing beats the ocean views from the Waterfront on Breakaway. We saw many dolphins swimming next to the ship on two early evenings while having drinks outside at Malting's on our way back from Bermuda.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

There's no such thing as a bad cruise...

Apart from catastrophe (i.e. ship getting stranded, sinking, severe illness, or a hurricane), I do hold to this mentality. However, in all of our 8 cruises, this was the 1st time I had to remind myself of that often. If there is one thing I have learned from CC, it is that cruises, like most vacations, are what you make them. This one took a little extra work on our part. Overall, we had a good time, the pictures will surely prove that. To be fair, this assessment was mostly just based on our own subjective preferences in cruising and some illness that hit 3 out of 4 of us. So, there is a good chance that the Epic and this cruise will fit you just fine!

The Start: A pic of me pondering what this Epic week would have in store for us and already having to remind myself after some early set backs "cruises are what you make them".

IMG_1620_zpsx9qumtyt.jpg

The Result: us having a good time despite the set-backs

IMG_1844_zpsel9pnpmd.jpg

A much needed pictorial review.

I am doing this review because I haven't seen a pictorial review of the Epic since she returned from the Med. Normally, I do my reviews because I am so excited to share how awesome my vaca was. So this is a little different for me, but I will try to be as objective and as positive as I can. I really hope you enjoy the review and find it helpful.

Who we are

IMG_1746_zpstaj52hsp.jpg

We are Sue (me) and Tom (DH), a couple in our 30's. We took this cruise with our 2 littles, ages 4 (DD) and 6 (DS), and some extended family.

Our Return to NCL: NCL vs CCL

Pre Epic assessment:

This was our 8th cruise, 4th with NCL. We used to prefer NCL, we liked the freestyle design especially with young kids and the entertainment onboard. But as CCL followed suit by offering an open dining option and offered us better prices with more itinerary options we took a break from NCL and tried CCL for 4 cruises. Over all, we found the 2 lines to be camparible.

One of the 1st things we missed about NCL was the entertainment options. CCL still relies heavily on production shows (with singers and dancers), this is not our cup of tea. So, NCL had their kids sale free sale and they made us an offer on Epic that we couldn't refuse, we jumped. We were excited about Blue Man Group and excited to return to what was our 1st love.

Post Epic Assessment:

After cruising Epic, we really miss CCL for a few reasons. We like their ship layouts/amenities and friendly onboard service. I will elaborate more on these things later. For now, in our current stage of family life, we feel like CCL may be a better fit for us.

Our Cruise Culture

I think in order to understand this review, it may be good to understand our family's cruise culture...you know what I mean? Every cruiser has one, its like having a world and life view.

For DH and I, cruising is all about quiet relaxation while we watch our kids have super fun. We cruise for ports, water sports, warm weather, and good food. Our favorite place to eat on ships is the MDR cause we hate the crazy cluster of madness at the buffet. Our favorite daytime on board activity is relaxing in lounge chairs next to a quiet pool or water slide area where we can watch our kids swim or go down slides while occasionally joining them in the fun, to then return to our relaxed state once we have had enough water fun ourselves. Our favorite evening activity on board is dinner in the MDR and non-production show entertainment or just an early bedtime because we are old, and have exhausting lil kids, Seriously, its ridiculous, we are sometimes in bed by 9pm on cruises, yes, we are that lame.

For DD, cruising is all about going to kids club and water fun. For DS, cruising is all about avoiding kids club like the plague and going on water slides like it's his job.

IMG_1817_zpspdn1iobl.jpg

IMG_1611_zps97xrfpry.jpg

Cirque Was my favorite part of the epic. But it's definitely not a kid friendly show lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Is the OP ever coming back? Starting to get a little concerned. Who starts such a great review and just doesn't come back?! Maybe one of the not so friendly Epic staff members took her hostage?! Lmao jk

Lol I was just wondering the same thing about why the original poster disappeared.

Lol I was just wondering the same thing about why the original poster disappeared.

I was on that cruise, it could be because when you post negative things that Actually happened, you get crucified by some posters.

That's being said from experience. I started a thread about my experience and had several comments from some peeps that thought I was overreacting to a couple of situation we encountered.

So far so that I responded that THEY weren't there and was told I needed to relax.

I was on that cruise, it could be because when you post negative things that Actually happened, you get crucified by some posters.

That's being said from experience. I started a thread about my experience and had several comments from some peeps that thought I was overreacting to a couple of situation we encountered.

So far so that I responded that THEY weren't there and was told I needed to relax.

When cheerleaders attack....

I was never negative to the op just shocked by the review because I was on the epic in March and for me it was amazing the staff was very accommodating and the food was incredible. The main dining room food was good but when I say incredible I mean for fee restaurants. My favorite experience on the ship was definitely the Cirque show.

Don't be nervous. You have to make the best with your cruise. If you encounter a rude or bad room attendant don't let it ruin your vacation. We were on the Epic this past summer. Not everyone was friendly but it became a joke all week to see who was going to be the 1st person to make the girls room attendant smile. The girls had their own room and the room attendant was not friendly at all. My girls would leave him notes to try to make him talk to them. We just decided he didn't like kids! We were next door and had a different attendant and he was excellent.

Everyone else we encountered on the ship was great. We had the best time.

Every ship has the bad staff. Our very first cruise was on CCL and talk about some bad staff members, they were the worse. Even the cruise director. But I would go back on a CCL if my husband would let me (We got caught in a storm and no communication from the captain or anyone).

The EPIC is totally different but we still had a great time. Lots of things to do! Have fun!

Did you have the UBP? Do bartenders change their level of service when one produces the little sticker on their card? They likely do not get tipped as much per drink, I would imagine...