Canadian cruisers!!

I would personals wait to buy on board , but with that said , seeing I was a day late to get the good exchange rate , I can't see myself getting a package in any currency this next sailing , if I do will maybe mid cruise , just to much money to spend on drinks ...... RCCL are u listening

If I confirm the current us price to buy onboard and if the 80.95 includes gratuities it may be worth it to pre buy. If I use all my obc to purchase our drink packages then I will still have to buy extra US dollars to take with me or use my credit card onboard at the high exchange rate which I think today is about 1.42

Hard times for Canadians to travel.

If I confirm the current us price to buy onboard and if the 80.95 includes gratuities it may be worth it to pre buy. If I use all my obc to purchase our drink packages then I will still have to buy extra US dollars to take with me or use my credit card onboard at the high exchange rate which I think today is about 1.42

Hard times for Canadians to travel.

So after further research it seems the premium package is 57.82 US. Gratuity included To purchase onboard. With the exchange rate it almost works out as the same as the current rate being offered in Canadian. So no real savings from pre purchase. I'll probably wait and use my obc when we get there

I was on Adventure of the Seas over New Years and it was a great time, however their premium drink package was $55 US/day + 18%, or about $65 US/day. Which is a little bit different than the $57 amount I found on their web site.

I've booked an Alaska cruise this summer, and if I pre-purchase the premium drink package, it will be $76.90 CDN/day, so an exchange rate of about $1.185. Not quite $1.1, but not horrendous either. This rate is assuming the pricing model that I witnessed on Adventure of the Seas and not the amounts I see at: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

My question is, if I buy this package today for $566.64 CDN, and at some point between today and the day I travel I change my mind about the package, will I be refunded $566.64 or what ever the current exchange rate is on the package?

So I just checked my brother in laws reservation that was booked in US dollars.

I added the premium drink package to the cart and went through to the payment page. It was $404.74 US dollars. Total. So that $57.82 a day US to pre-purchase

The Unlimate package was $487.34

This is for a 7 night Caribbean .

So it looks like you paid more onboard. There was a thread talking about being charged the 18% gratuity WHEN STILL IN PORT! So, if you wait until later the first evening you won't be charged the extra 18%.

Edited by son3cruisers

So after further research it seems the premium package is 57.82 US. Gratuity included To purchase onboard. With the exchange rate it almost works out as the same as the current rate being offered in Canadian. So no real savings from pre purchase. I'll probably wait and use my obc when we get there

Wait until after you sail if you buy it onboard. I have read on the boards that they charge tax for it in port.

Wait until after you sail if you buy it onboard. I have read on the boards that they charge tax for it in port.

I think that depends on how much you plan to drink while in port. Any more than 2 drinks out of pocket will most likely be more than the tax you would pay. We plan to board early so will probably spend 3 or 4 hours on the ship before sailing.

I think that depends on how much you plan to drink while in port. Any more than 2 drinks out of pocket will most likely be more than the tax you would pay. We plan to board early so will probably spend 3 or 4 hours on the ship before sailing.

We always arrive at the pier at 11 and it sounds like you do too.

They were talking about buying a drink package on board with their OBC. I have read that the local state tax is charged on singular purchased, as well drink packages purchase if done prior to the ship's initial departure while in the state.

I have bought a drink or two;) prior to disembarking port and I don't mind paying a bit of local tax. If they do charge the local tax on a full package I sure wouldn't want to pay the local tax on $500 package purchase. Since this thread is about helping Canadians save money with these exchange rates I thought they would want to confirm if this is true prior to their purchase.:)

Yes they do charge tax on a package while still in port but not after sailing. We too will be buying our packages with OBC. But I figure we will probably have 3 or 4 drinks each before leaving port. I think, but could be wrong, that Florida's tax is 6% so on my approx $400 Premium drink package that would be $24 dollars. I would spend more than that purchasing 4 drinks without a package while waiting to purchase a package without tax. If a person isn't going to spend the equivalent of what the tax would be, then yes it makes sense to wait but I figure I will be spending at least that much anyway, so might as well purchase my package and pay the tax 🙂

Edited by jtdlmc

Yes they do charge tax on a package while still in port but not after sailing. We too will be buying our packages with OBC. But I figure we will probably have 3 or 4 drinks each before leaving port. I think, but could be wrong, that Florida's tax is 6% so on my approx $400 Premium drink package that would be $24 dollars. I would spend more than that purchasing 4 drinks without a package while waiting to purchase a package without tax. If a person isn't going to spend the equivalent of what the tax would be, then yes it makes sense to wait but I figure I will be spending at least that much anyway, so might as well purchase my package and pay the tax 🙂

I just looked and Broward County's tax rate is at 6% like the state tax. Your calculations are right on.

I like my occasional drink but I like to save $ more. I myself would be thinking about the exchange rate on the $24, and would we waiting until the ship clears the harbour's mouth before I made my purchase. That all being said once I got on board whatever I type here is worthless.:D

I just looked and Broward County's tax rate is at 6% like the state tax. Your calculations are right on.

I like my occasional drink but I like to save $ more. I myself would be thinking about the exchange rate on the $24, and would we waiting until the ship clears the harbour's mouth before I made my purchase. That all being said once I got on board whatever I type here is worthless.:D

I read on another other blog that people have questioned the tax being added in port and it some cases it was waved. They were issued a paper receipt and the charge for the package was entered into the system day #2. Might be worth it to ask:)

I read on another other blog that people have questioned the tax being added in port and it some cases it was waved. They were issued a paper receipt and the charge for the package was entered into the system day #2. Might be worth it to ask:)

Great tip.:)

Does anyone know if the Uber app that I've installed will work in the U.S.? I've heard that taking an Uber from hotel to port would be cheaper than shuttle or a cab? I don't have a U.S. Data plan, but if I'm in wifi in hotel I could use app to hail the car and then I assume they'd just charge my account which is attached to my Canadian Visa???? Thx

Does anyone know if the Uber app that I've installed will work in the U.S.? I've heard that taking an Uber from hotel to port would be cheaper than shuttle or a cab? I don't have a U.S. Data plan, but if I'm in wifi in hotel I could use app to hail the car and then I assume they'd just charge my account which is attached to my Canadian Visa???? Thx

Yes, it will work. I downloaded the app here at home for a one time use in Port Canaveral. We used Uber for a ride from the port to Kennedy Space Center. The driver gave me his cell number and I called him when we were ready to return to the port. Great service. The charge was attached to the credit card I added to my Uber account. It is the new Scotia mastercard which doesn't charge the 2.5% foreign exchange.

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember reading a post not too long ago where someone was charged the tax, called RCI when they got home and the charge was reversed. I have also read to purchase the package from one of the desks that will be set up the first day rather than a bar as they don't input the charges right away, whereas the bar charges are put into the system in real time. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember reading a post not too long ago where someone was charged the tax, called RCI when they got home and the charge was reversed. I have also read to purchase the package from one of the desks that will be set up the first day rather than a bar as they don't input the charges right away, whereas the bar charges are put into the system in real time. Thanks for the reminder.

I tell you, this thread is gold.

I read that too about being charged tax when buying a package onboard but the person called after the cruise and was re-imbursed for the tax amount.

As for your second point...are you saying we should purchase the drink package from one of the desks set up or from the bar? I think you mean desk but can you confirm?

I read that too about being charged tax when buying a package onboard but the person called after the cruise and was re-imbursed for the tax amount.

As for your second point...are you saying we should purchase the drink package from one of the desks set up or from the bar? I think you mean desk but can you confirm?

The desk is the way to go.

Yes, purchase from one of the desks.

Was just online in my pre-cruise planner and noticed that the Canadian dollar values for purchases has gone up (I noticed it first on the Character Breakfast - it was $13.30 CAD right up to yesterday, but is now $14.00). I guess their rate has changed to 1.40 all around! :(

I too want to extend my sincere gratitude to those of you who have shared such valuable information on this thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is better to pre-pay gratuities or pay them on board. Can someone clarify if we pay $12.95 (US) per day or per night. So for a 7 night cruise are we charged $12.95 x 7(or 8)??

I too want to extend my sincere gratitude to those of you who have shared such valuable information on this thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is better to pre-pay gratuities or pay them on board. Can someone clarify if we pay $12.95 (US) per day or per night. So for a 7 night cruise are we charged $12.95 x 7(or 8)??

It depends when you booked your cruise . . . I went through all my reservations and added pre-pay grats, some were different rates. The rep told me the rate is when you booked the cruise, not today's rate. In some cases, my grats were the same as the USD (I book a long way out!)

Call and ask them what the amount would be.