Canadian cruisers!!

Well that's a little better at least. Such a gamble to try and lock something in for something so far away in the future. But good to see that they seem to be updating it a little more frequently perhaps? Wasn't that long ago it was at 1.40 if I remember correctly.

I’m not understanding all the exchange stuff. I leave in 2 weeks for the cruise. My OBC I think is locked at 1.32. Does it make any sense to buy it at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not at 1.32. You can get us for less then that. Your credit card is likely less then that right now.

I’m not understanding all the exchange stuff. I leave in 2 weeks for the cruise. My OBC I think is locked at 1.32. Does it make any sense to buy it at this point?

It sounds like you are referring to your OBC in your Cruise Planner that you received from RCI and are able to spend ahead of time. That exchange rate fluctuates until you make your first purchase via the Cruise Planner; then it is locked at that rate.

Much of the discussion (pre-dating the ability to spend RCI OBC in the Cruise Planner) is around buying OBC in advance of the cruise, if your cruise is booked in CAD. That exchange rate is quoted by RCI Gifts & Gear and can change at any time, not locked in like the Cruise Planner rate.

If you would like additional OBC, you won't have to pay 1.32 for it, you should be able to pay 1.27 for it when you call Gifts & Gear (assuming it hasn't changed since last night).

What I'm not sure of (and I don't know if anyone has reported it) is if you buy OBC through Gifts & Gear, does it show up right away in the Cruise Planner for spending, or is it only available once actually on board?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes. I called RCI to pay on our upcoming 10 night cruise and also pre-pay Gratuities. Our booking confirmation shows our booking charges in CAD, which I expected. Further down the document it reads $13.50 per person per day gratuity will be added to each guests Seapass account on a daily basis ..... BUT when The Client Service Rep calculated the total amount, the Grats are $82.06 more than I expected. When I questioned it she said was because the $13.50 per day quoted was USD (that isn't stated) and it had to be converted to CAD. Is this correct or should I call again?

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes. I called RCI to pay on our upcoming 10 night cruise and also pre-pay Gratuities. Our booking confirmation shows our booking charges in CAD, which I expected. Further down the document it reads $13.50 per person per day gratuity will be added to each guests Seapass account on a daily basis ..... BUT when The Client Service Rep calculated the total amount, the Grats are $82.06 more than I expected. When I questioned it she said was because the $13.50 per day quoted was USD (that isn't stated) and it had to be converted to CAD. Is this correct or should I call again?

The 13.50 for the gratuity is a US amount.

Correct. The $13.50 is US.

As indicated by the other replies, the $13.50 amount is in USD. Furthermore the CAD conversion is correct based on the current rate RCI is using for gratuities so the $82.06 “difference” is also correct.

I inferred it as two people, 2 x ~$17.603 x 10 = $352.06 which is $82.06 more than $270 (which is $13.50 x 2 x 10).

I got the ~$17.603 rate from my bookings in the last year in CAD, by working backwards.

Yes it's for 2 people. Thank-you😀

I got off the phone with RCI Gifts & Gear a few minutes ago. For purchases of OBC, they quoted today's rate as being $1.27 CAD to $1.00 USD. That's not bad in the sense that it's very close to, or even slightly better than the current mid-market rate that I just looked up (per xe.com).

I just called RCI Gifts & Gear to add $200 OBC to my cruise and they quoted me a total of $260 and said the exchange rate today is 1.30. Seems like they are changing it a lot more often now than before. I thought I would still get the 1.27 rate.

I just called RCI Gifts & Gear to add $200 OBC to my cruise and they quoted me a total of $260 and said the exchange rate today is 1.30. Seems like they are changing it a lot more often now than before. I thought I would still get the 1.27 rate.

I think there is some confusion when the reps are giving out rates.

There are several exchange rates that Royal uses. The one for OBC does not change very often (yearly) and has been at 1.30 for a long time. They also use an exchange rate for cruise planner purchases as well as cruise pricing. I have the feeling that the reps have given the exchange rate 1.27 which was used for converting OBC on the cruise planner ( and changes frequently) instead of the correct amount of 1.30 to purchase OBC.

I think there is some confusion when the reps are giving out rates.

There are several exchange rates that Royal uses. The one for OBC does not change very often (yearly) and has been at 1.30 for a long time. They also use an exchange rate for cruise planner purchases as well as cruise pricing. I have the feeling that the reps have given the exchange rate 1.27 which was used for converting OBC on the cruise planner ( and changes frequently) instead of the correct amount of 1.30 to purchase OBC.

Ah, thank you, that makes sense.

Is anyone else having problems accessing this site? When I type in cruisecritic.com it takes me to cruisecritic.ca and says "your connection is not private". Same with when I click on the "Find your roll call" link in the forums. Wasn't sure if it was a Canadian thing since it's trying to redirect me to .ca

Is anyone else having problems accessing this site? When I type in cruisecritic.com it takes me to cruisecritic.ca and says "your connection is not private". Same with when I click on the "Find your roll call" link in the forums. Wasn't sure if it was a Canadian thing since it's trying to redirect me to .ca
I just checked and same is happening to me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Also happened to me last night. I have the forum bookmarked in my favourites so just closed that page and accessed from there.