Canadian cruisers!!

Just bought $500 US for $550.:)

Since our gratuities are paid that is about all we will spend. Thought about doing an extra $500 and seeing if it would be refunded in US$ to my US$ credit card at the end of the cruise.

Just as an FYI for fellow Canadians. If you do not have prepaid gratuities you should ask the cost of prepaying those. For this cruise in March and my last one in December I had booked those using a NCC that was purchased a while ago when the $ was at par. Apparently it locked in that rate for the gratuities and I was able to prepay them at $11.75 per day in CDN$.

Just bought $500 US for $550.:)

Since our gratuities are paid that is about all we will spend. Thought about doing an extra $500 and seeing if it would be refunded in US$ to my US$ credit card at the end of the cruise.

Just as an FYI for fellow Canadians. If you do not have prepaid gratuities you should ask the cost of prepaying those. For this cruise in March and my last one in December I had booked those using a NCC that was purchased a while ago when the $ was at par. Apparently it locked in that rate for the gratuities and I was able to prepay them at $11.75 per day in CDN$.

We find it a great idea to pre pay the gratuities upfront also. We always pre pay everything that we can before we go. That way we don't come home to a large cc bill.

I just called and for $300 USD it would cost $378.53 CDN

I called they quoted me the same price. Oh well I mid as well just go to my bank and get some and have it in cash in hand .. Figure id like to get $200-300 more and I should be all set. Luckly I got alot when it was at par. But that money wont last forever

We find it a great idea to pre pay the gratuities upfront also. We always pre pay everything that we can before we go. That way we don't come home to a large cc bill.

We do the same, Excrusions, to Luggage fees at the airport. Pre Pay grats. Soda packages, everything.

For our Easter cruise, we've pre paid Gratuities, pre- purchased the Ultimate Bev Pkgs for both of us and pre-paid for 2 nights of specialty restaurants. I already got some small USD bills for extra tipping if needed. Our Hotel stay on the night before the cruise is already pre-paid. I haven't gotten any OBC but I'm thinking our on board spending should be very minimal. With all of you getting these great rates for OBC, I'm tempted to get some but like I said, I don't think I'll need very much. Am I forgetting something?

I just might get a shot of JW Blue and pay the difference from the UP on our dressed up night :)...

dp

To clarify, if we pre-pay gratuities, then this will be in Canadian dollars?

(Our cruise may be Dynamic Dining, but if not we'll be on My Time, which I believe requires pre-paying but we have not done so yet)

If your cruise was booked on CDN$ then your gratuities would be prepaid in CDN$

The exchange rate that Royal Caribbean is using today is 1.10, Canadian bank is charging 1.30 today, much better to deposit money into an obc account today.

I just purchased 600 us for 660 cdn. Do that at the bank and they charge 780.00.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am calling them back to see. I called earlier and was quoted a higher price. I wonder if its one of them if you talk to someone different they will give you something different. on hold now

I just called the 1-800 number and purchased $500 OBC. The person told me that the cost in CAD funds would be $550. They sent me an email confirmation similar to the image posted by son3cruisers. Although they assured me that my $550 Canadian purchased $500 USD, the email confirmation does NOT state the onboard credit amount........it only says that I paid 550 in Canadian funds. Not sure if this worries me or not???

This worries me too... I asked the agent over the phone where I can check to see that the money is attached to our account... He said I will get a card in our room when we board ( not very comforting...)

I plan on taking copies of everything including my credit card statement.

Edited by son3cruisers

THANK YOU Sonsof3cruisers!!!

I just purchased $750.00 USD for $825.00. Figured better safe than sorry and what is not used is re-credited to my credit card.

I matched on the RBC site and they are quoting me $978.08 = difference of $153.08 which is significant since the dollar seems to keep falling.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

You're very welcome! Glad it worked out!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Success !!!!!!!!!

I just called and paid $330 Canadian and it got me $300 US onboard account

They confrimed they charged me the 1.10 rate.

I think i should have bought more now :|

Thanks this is what cruise critic is about, helping everyone save money

Edited by trev71

I was told I could not buy more than $499 (USD) credit -sounded odd to me, but that's all I wanted anyways (well, $500 is what I asked for). He said the exchange rate is 1.10, and just charged my credit card $548.90 (that's 10%).

He did explain that it would also be a card in my stateroom - and would not show up on my cruise reservation online - so I am bringing the printed confirmation that I was just sent in my email :)

Thanks to the OP for posting this! You saved me approx $90 in exchange and conversion fees.

I was told I could not buy more than $499 (USD) credit -sounded odd to me, but that's all I wanted anyways (well, $500 is what I asked for). He said the exchange rate is 1.10, and just charged my credit card $548.90 (that's 10%).

He did explain that it would also be a card in my stateroom - and would not show up on my cruise reservation online - so I am bringing the printed confirmation that I was just sent in my email :)

Thanks to the OP for posting this! You saved me approx $90 in exchange and conversion fees.

That is exactly what I've been told last week when I ordered! 499$ also sounded odd to me but it didn't matter for one buck so ordered it and saved some money.

I'll make sure to bring the printed confirmation with me and check that card in my stateroom.

Guylaine

The email confirmation only says what I paid in CDN dollars $330 it does NOT state that I have $300USD onboard credit, only what I paid in CDN. What stops guest relations from giving me the current exchange rate on the date I sail? They may only give me $280 USD if the days rate is 1.26 (just an example, not the actual math!) I'm on hold as I type this waiting to see if they can send me a confirmation of the USD amount.

UPDATE - No they CANNOT. The $330 they just charged to my credit card will only buy me the USD equivalent on the day I board according to the exchange rate THAT day. I have now cancelled and they have put through a refund.

Beware. There is NO deal here. Only a fight with guest relations onboard I assume....

Darn, just called and because I paid in US funds, they won't let me buy stateroom credit using CDN funds :(

Given how much our dollar is dropping every day, it may still save me a few pennies if I buy it today vs 3 weeks later onboard. :cool:

The email confirmation only says what I paid in CDN dollars $330 it does NOT state that I have $300USD onboard credit, only what I paid in CDN. What stops guest relations from giving me the current exchange rate on the date I sail? They may only give me $280 USD if the days rate is 1.26 (just an example, not the actual math!) I'm on hold as I type this waiting to see if they can send me a confirmation of the USD amount.

UPDATE - No they CANNOT. The $330 they just charged to my credit card will only buy me the USD equivalent on the day I board according to the exchange rate THAT day. I have now cancelled and they have put through a refund.

Beware. There is NO deal here. Only a fight with guest relations onboard I assume....

This is not true. You are getting the wrong information

If I purchase the drink package today at $x, they are not going to charge me again on the ship if the dollar has dropped in price. Same with stateroom credit. Think of it as a gift to yourself....

If I purchased a " gift" ( no different. Then a robe or bottle of wine) I will not be paying more onboard.

That is not how it works.

My excursions have increased in price, as the dollar has dropped. My excursions are confirmed...I will not be paying more onboard....

Edited by son3cruisers

I booked through an on-line USA TA. As a Canadian, if you book with a USA travel agent, getting an OBC deal does not apply to you. RCL will charge your credit card on file and it will be processed by your bank at current bank rates.

If you are Canadian and booked with a Canadian TA in Canadian funds, then this deal may be a possibility for you. They will charge you the Canadian rate within their system. This gal I just talked to could not see on her system what that the RCL rate is at this very moment (11:40am PST) unless you have a Canadian funds booking and go through the process to buy the OBC.

Edited by Hoopster95

Um... I asked about that... I told him.. what is stopping you guys from giving me less than $499 US credit when I am onboard.. because the receipt only says how much I paid in $CDN. He said.. there will be a card in your stateroom which says you have a $499 US credit..

Who has the real story??

This is not true. You are getting the wrong information

If I purchase the drink package today at $x, they are not going to charge me again on the ship if the dollar has dropped in price. Same with stateroom credit. Think of it as a gift to yourself....

If I purchased a " gift" ( no different. Then a robe or bottle of wine) I will not be paying more onboard.

That is not how it works.

I don't want to burst your happy bubble, but I am not wrong.

I spoke to 2 reps and a resolution agent and they all said the same thing. We charged you $330 for onboard credit, but we cannot guarantee the amount you will receive onboard in USD - which is why we cannot send you a confirmation letter that states what you bought in USD. Therefore, I show up at guest relations with my confirmation email that only shows what I spent in CDN, not what the USD amount is - they charge me the going rate that day and I can't prove anything otherwise.

Um... I asked about that... I told him.. what is stopping you guys from giving me less than $499 US credit when I am onboard.. because the receipt only says how much I paid in $CDN. He said.. there will be a card in your stateroom which says you have a $499 US credit..

Who has the real story??

That is what i was told as well. There would be a card in my room.

That is what i was told as well. There would be a card in my room.

Maybe so, but the amount may be different than what you think you bought.

Until someone actually has a direct experience with this I am not going anywhere near it......too many interpretations and NO confirmation of what you get in USD - only a suggestion of a card in your stateroom, nothing beforehand.