Upset with NCL, not sure what else we can do

HeatherMac246

Don't let this ruin your cruise. If you get in a bad mood now, you will convince yourself to not have a good time.

Silver lining: Do a $50 OBC dance

As others have stated, the promo is to get new bookings. If everyone was allowed to get the promo who already booked, that means the entire ship would have the UBP. And NCL would lose a ton of money on alcohol sales.

Booking through a TA can be a toss of the dice..

Thus far I have Emailed my TA twice about price reductions from NCL that have saved me nearly $700 on my cruise and both times she has had no knowledge of the price drop.. :confused:

When I booked I left specific instructions that she was to monitor NCL for any price reductions and make the needed calls and adjustments..

I eventually got the reductions but only through my careful monitoring of their website... something she should be doing...I am past the period of transferring the booking to NCL so I will continue to do her job and look out for myself as needed.

Next time I will probably book straight through NCL...

You really think that the job of a TA is to watch for price changes for you?:confused::confused::confused:

That is not even close to their job and what you are asking them to do is extra work so that they can take a pay cut.

If you book with a TA, don't expect price reductions,and if you want price reductions then book on your own.

Hi

I understand. Here is what can and cannot be done......

If you are past final payment but not under the cancellation penalty period, then they can re price your cruise to the current rate and give you the offer. That may mean you paying a bit more to come up to what the current price is....assuming it is higher.

If the current price is lower than what you paid for, look to pay the difference and upgrade to the next higher category, perhaps, if that is comfortable for your pocket. They will re price the cruise at the current rate for the higher category, add on the difference and give you a new price. That way you may get the current promotion offer.

If you are within the penalty period, the only thing you can do is upgrade and pay the difference....but they will not give you any current promotions. Once you are within the penalty period, any re pricing means cancelling the current reservation, paying the penalty for cancellation and then repricing it. So it does not make sense at all. And you may loose any amenity offer or on board credit you had from the original reservation, topped with the cancellation penalty! Also, for certain reservations you cannot even do that, once in penalty period.

If you have a travel agent they should be able to bat on your behalf, and explain you the options available or not.

But yes, this does happen, so please don't feel disappointed and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I don't think upgrades will reprice it and give them the new perk.....my upgrade for a room didn't reprice, it just states the room change and a note that says complimentary upgrade to rom xxxx

Don't let this ruin your cruise. If you get in a bad mood now, you will convince yourself to not have a good time.

As others have stated, the promo is to get new bookings. If everyone was allowed to get the promo who already booked, that means the entire ship would have the UBP. And NCL would lose a ton of money on alcohol sales.

I like your way of thinking. I am paying for the UBP and will have an awesome time.

There is always a wave sale around the new year.

it is still a gamble on what the sale will be or if they will put prices up just before.

This year some of the Jan,Feb cruises became serious bargains in the sale as they were already cheap then got UDP and/or UBP

The real lesson here is seriously consider not booking in late Nov/Dec as there will be a promotion in the next few weeks.

I almost want to cancel and rebook and pay the extra $300 just to spite the TA. Horrible service but the manager tried making it up today, so I guess I can't say anything bad about her. But my the normal TA I had been working with was great until after we booked...and it is really disheartening.

You may want to. When I re-booked it cost me $100.00 more but we got the UBP and soda package for 3rd person for that $100.00 - I feel it was totally worth it :)

Hi everyone,

I booked my cruise Dec 5 for sailing on 3/1-3/7. For this same sailing, they are offering the fare for about the same (depending on who you go with, its +/- $50) BUT they are offering a FREE Ultimate Beverage Package for new bookings. So here's my question. I've gone around and around with my TA with nothing but an offer of $50 onboard, NCL cannot offer anything except for $50. Is there anything else I can possibly do? That is a HUGE value to us and frankly, am very upset that they cannot do anything for me.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Positive or Negative?

Bottom line is you are not eligible for the offer. It's stinks but nothing you can do about it but move on.

Moral of the story, book last minute if you can.

Edited by Love my butler

If you are within the penalty period, the only thing you can do is upgrade and pay the difference....but they will not give you any current promotions.

Once you are within the penalty period, any re pricing means cancelling the current reservation, paying the penalty for cancellation and then repricing it. So it does not make sense at all. And you may loose any amenity offer or on board credit you had from the original reservation, topped with the cancellation penalty! Also, for certain reservations you cannot even do that, once in penalty period.

New to NCL. Over the last 2 weeks I have received 4 re pricing reductions all before the 75 day penalty period....very very happy. I am now at 79 days so once I get to 75 days if there is a price reduction I still may be eligible for a upgrade and pay the difference? Should I still be checking to try for a upgrade??

I am in a two bedroom suite and have Platinum status and i booked last year in Oct. for our April 4th - 11th cruise. I would be receiving the UBP , UDP & $300.00 on board credit if i booked this month. I called NCL and so did my TA. NCL is giving me nothing. The only thing they said is if cancell and re-book the Suite the Suite would be more expensive than what we origonaly paid for it so it would not be worth it.

Have you tried pricing your trip with various TAs? I booked a suite with ncl last September for our trip this year for $6900. This past Saturday I rebooked the same category suite (Haven 2 bedroom) with a TA for $6875 adding the UDP, UBP, $300 OBC and 3rd pax free while ncl's price for the same on Saturday was over $7550. The more I read these threads is the more I learn to shop around.

Why does this "stink"?

What you are saying is that because you booked early, you have ended up $300 *ahead* of what you'd have paid if you waited until now to book.

That is a '"GOOD THING", no??

GeezerCouple

Yes she is $300 ahead, but she is missing out on the Free Ultimate Drink Package..

So if they spend more than $300 on drinks then they haven't made or saved anything.

Actually since only sailings inside the 75 day window aren't allowed to rebook and get the promo your wrong. In theory a ship could sail with everyone except insides getting UBP as long as they sailed 75 days after the promo start.

Yes she is $300 ahead, but she is missing out on the Free Ultimate Drink Package..

So if they spend more than $300 on drinks then they haven't made or saved anything.

I book ahead and never look back only look forward to the day I get on the ship:D

Hi everyone,

I booked my cruise Dec 5 for sailing on 3/1-3/7. For this same sailing, they are offering the fare for about the same (depending on who you go with, its +/- $50) BUT they are offering a FREE Ultimate Beverage Package for new bookings. So here's my question. I've gone around and around with my TA with nothing but an offer of $50 onboard, NCL cannot offer anything except for $50. Is there anything else I can possibly do? That is a HUGE value to us and frankly, am very upset that they cannot do anything for me.

Thanks in advance.

~Heather

i'm in a similar situation, I booked thru online travel company 28 days before sailing and the entire cruise price dropped $500, NCL (thru TA) was only offering $100 OBC (which I have yet to see in my account)

lesson learned... doesn't pay to book early (if you call 28 days early)

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

~Heather

You are past final payment date, so no, there is nothing you can do and all cruise lines would tell you the same. You are lucky they offered you a $50 OBC. When a package is for new bookings only, that is what they mean. You must have been satisfied with the price you paid or you would not have booked. Yes, I will be one of those who says: get over it and just enjoy your cruise. You will always find someone who got a better deal than you got. Do you think if you buy an airline ticket and the following week the same ticket goes on sale you can change your ticket?

Searched for cruise. Check.

Found acceptable price. Check.

Paid and agreed upon price. Check.

Would be perfectly HAPPY if price did not change. Check.

NCL agreed and customer agreed to terms. Check.

Check. Check. Check.

I understand where the OP is coming from... it's a common condition now known as "Amenity Envy"... Fantastic deals are being offered up to others as part of the current promotions, and it's only natural to want to have the same things.

The real problem here is the fact that the cruise is only a few weeks away... otherwise if the cruise was later in the year, the OP would have no trouble getting the amenities that everyone else is getting.

But the good news is, the cruise was booked without the amenities at the time, so if this promotion had never existed, the OP would have happily went on the cruise and never gave a thought to it. That's how I would approach it at this point... I'd still be going on a fabulous vacation... regardless of the free beverage or dining packages that others have.

Bottom line is you are not eligible for the offer. It's stinks but nothing you can do about it but move on.

Moral of the story, book last minute if you can.

See I made the opposite mistake I think. These promos really increased bookings so much so that prices for the week i am looking at were highly increased before the "sale". I don't care about the packages/promos. I just want a cheap price. Doesn't look like there will be a last minute deal for us. At least you are getting to sail, we will probably be driving to the Grand Canyon.

You really think that the job of a TA is to watch for price changes for you?:confused::confused::confused:

That is not even close to their job and what you are asking them to do is extra work so that they can take a pay cut.

If you book with a TA, don't expect price reductions,and if you want price reductions then book on your own.

I book with a TA and have usually gotten a price reduction on every cruise. I check the prices and contact her and she gets the price drop. TAs cannot just sit and check every cruise and every price for every client.

I book with a TA and have usually gotten a price reduction on every cruise. I check the prices and contact her and she gets the price drop. TAs cannot just sit and check every cruise and every price for every client.

You have it right: it is up to the individual to watch prices, but they still must understand, after final payment it is almost impossible to get a better deal. We are going through this right now and are very happy. We are way past finla payment; I checked a few days ago and noticed the price on our cabin had gone down slightly (not a lot) I called my TA, she was able to get us upgraded from a standard outside cabin to a BB cat balcony. If she couldn't have done anything I would have lived with that as well.

See I made the opposite mistake I think. These promos really increased bookings so much so that prices for the week i am looking at were highly increased before the "sale". I don't care about the packages/promos. I just want a cheap price. Doesn't look like there will be a last minute deal for us. At least you are getting to sail, we will probably be driving to the Grand Canyon.

On some trips the insides that don't get the promotions are going cheap.

They need a margin below the packages to make them attractive.

Jump on a flight Spirit insides are under $35pppd.

QUite a few other trips are as well.

Jewel and Sun PAnama are they any good to you.

Edited by insidecabin

16 days until sailing.

overall prices have dropped alot. My O1 dropped $500ish.

My O1 category (soldout) is now the same price as a Family mini-suite Balcony

Spent 63 mins (60 of which was on hold) with my online big brand TA, whom had to call NCL on the other line.

I was willing to split the family up & swap my O1 for 1 cheapest inside GTY and 1 balcony/mini-suite (which is the same $ or less). Any combination of these 2 rooms would come out $40-300 cheaper than what i already paid for my O1.

NCL will not do anything for me, NO "upgrade" , NO switching rooms, NO OBC, NO credit of any kinda. Nada.

Just wasted 63 minutes on the phone.

16 days until sailing.

Spent 63 mins (60 of which was on hold) with my online big brand TA, whom had to call NCL on the other line.

I was willing to split the family up & swap my O1 for 1 cheapest inside GTY and 1 balcony/mini-suite (which is the same $ or less). Any combination of these 2 rooms would come out $40-300 cheaper than what i already paid for my O1.

NCL will not do anything for me, NO "upgrade" , NO switching rooms, NO OBC, NO credit of any kinda. Nada.

After final payment date, there is nothing that the cruiseline is obligated to do for you. This is a well documented fact. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you hadn't stumbled on to this fact here before. Yes, in certain cases, people may have been able to finesse some OBC or even an upgrade to a higher level cabin, but also in a lot of cases, they and their travel agents are turned away with no additional compensation. This is the policy. For you to have expectations beyond that is unreasonable.

All that being said, earlier in this thread you claimed to have received $100 OBC already in lieu of a price adjustment...

i'm in a similar situation, I booked thru online travel company 28 days before sailing and the entire cruise price dropped $500, NCL (thru TA) was only offering $100 OBC (which I have yet to see in my account)

lesson learned... doesn't pay to book early (if you call 28 days early)

So... which story is it? And btw... 28 days is NOT early.

Unless you booked Early Saver on CCL, where you can change fares past final payment due date.

You are right about Carnival. I was generalizing; in most cases changes in bookings after final payment do not exist and in the case of the OP she would have had to cancel and rebook. This is a tiny bit different from a price change after final payment. I should have been more clear. There are exceptions to all rules.

16 days until sailing.

You obviously did not speak to the right people