New Escape Nursery for children under 2

LadySpoilt

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the nursery will be included in the fare like the kids clubs usually are, or if there will be an hourly fee for babies in the nursery?

No clue yet. I know on DCL the nursery price was not included like the regular kids clubs were. I think we paid $6/hour, but that was a long time ago. The nursery on DCL (at least at that time) employed trained/retired British nannies. It was wonderful.

Does anyone know if the nursery will be included in the fare like the kids clubs usually are, or if there will be an hourly fee for babies in the nursery?

I have gotten conflicting info. I have an email from NCL Social Media AND from a PCC that says no charges for Guppies, then a follow up email from NCL Social Media saying they aren't sure, the policies haven't been sent yet. In addition, and I know it is worthless, a different PCC told me that it will be completely free.

I will be upset if this turns out not to be the case. Many cruise lines offer babysitting for 2 and under on an hourly pay basis, so if that's what NCL is doing I don't really see how NCL's program is very revolutionary.

Based on what the PCC told me was a major reason we chose Escape over Royal Caribbean (where we are Diamond) and we booked BEFORE the choice promo and kids sail free.

I have gotten conflicting info. I have an email from NCL Social Media AND from a PCC that says no charges for Guppies, then a follow up email from NCL Social Media saying they aren't sure, the policies haven't been sent yet. In addition, and I know it is worthless, a different PCC told me that it will be completely free.

I will be upset if this turns out not to be the case. Many cruise lines offer babysitting for 2 and under on an hourly pay basis, so if that's what NCL is doing I don't really see how NCL's program is very revolutionary.

Based on what the PCC told me was a major reason we chose Escape over Royal Caribbean (where we are Diamond) and we booked BEFORE the choice promo and kids sail free.

Are you saying that if there is a small fee for the program you would have chosen Royal ?

is the idea that we can leave our little ones in the guppy area or do we have to be present with them? I have been trying to find info on the NCL website about this and i'm confused as well.

The NCL FAQ says: "Guppies: 6 months – 3 years (daily activities are offered for babies with their parents)" and then further down the same section it says, "Although Guppies are part of Splash Academy and hosted by the Early Years Coordinator, the program requires a parent to be in attendance. Guppies does not offer a drop off option."

-- so does this mean parents have to be present?

source: http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

Edited by finzup-kt

Are you saying that if there is a small fee for the program you would have chosen Royal ?

I'm saying multiple NCL reps told me it is free. We are Diamond members on Royal but relatively new to NCL. It was certainly a consideration in our booking decision. I have little faith NCL will deliver what has been promised.

is the idea that we can leave our little ones in the guppy area or do we have to be present with them? I have been trying to find info on the NCL website about this and i'm confused as well.

The NCL FAQ says: "Guppies: 6 months – 3 years (daily activities are offered for babies with their parents)" -- so does this mean parents have to be present?

It is a separate nursery area that you can leave an infant / toddler at

This - won't, affect us at all. Given the trending, expect, fees-for-services on a scale would be my bet on it - strictly guessing, of course - my nickel's worth of opinion. Nursery care for small children are not cheap on land - just ask your local child care provider. Here in the State of N.Y. - we run fingerprint & background and full background checks, etc. before putting them in direct child care assignments and they are closely monitored & supervised.

Looking for a free lunch ... :D How nice & generous would that be to dedicate an area exclusively for the service. Just saying, so don't be surprised one bit, if.

If fees are involved - Haven & Suite guests will probably get a nice discount ? This won't be part of AI, however.

It is a separate nursery area that you can leave an infant / toddler at

I don't know.. further down the FAQ page it says, "Although Guppies are part of Splash Academy and hosted by the Early Years Coordinator, the program requires a parent to be in attendance. Guppies does not offer a drop off option."

I hope you're right :)

My kids are 9 & 7 so doesn't affect me. NCL has been saying they are going to make an under 3 nursery all the way back to April 2012 when Splash Academy changed the minimum age to 3. I posted about it in my review after talking to the mgr of kids programming on board the Jewel.

Given the way things are going with NCL and the fact that it's been 3 years since they initally spoke of this I wouldn't hold my breath....

I don't know.. further down the FAQ page it says, "Although Guppies are part of Splash Academy and hosted by the Early Years Coordinator, the program requires a parent to be in attendance. Guppies does not offer a drop off option."

I hope I am right too! This is what it says on the NCL Escape page

"With the first-ever Norwegian nursery on Norwegian Escape, parents can rest easy knowing their tots (6 months – 3 years) are being well looked after by our dedicated staff. Featuring an Active Room with sensory-based activities, games and toys based on a daily theme, plus a Quiet Room for babies to sleep and rest, parents can have the vacation they deserve while their little ones do too."

I hope I am right too! This is what it says on the NCL Escape page

"With the first-ever Norwegian nursery on Norwegian Escape, parents can rest easy knowing their tots (6 months – 3 years) are being well looked after by our dedicated staff. Featuring an Active Room with sensory-based activities, games and toys based on a daily theme, plus a Quiet Room for babies to sleep and rest, parents can have the vacation they deserve while their little ones do too."

This was one of the motivating reasons for our family to book 3 Escape cabins. I am beginning to wonder if this will be changed midstream (as per all the other midstream changes).

One of the pics showed a crib in an adjoining room (I am assuming that was/is supposed to be the Quiet Room) making it seem as if one could leave their younger ones....since making a parent stay would defeat the purpose.

Edited by LadySpoilt

• 2 months later...

My great niece will be just over 6 months at the time of our trip we are hoping it will be free so we can do dinner, show etc with everyone if it is not thats ok to we have 13 adults going there will always be someone to watch the baby :)

They really should give the Escape nursery a different name than Guppies. Every ship has a Guppies nursery and all the others require a parent be present. The plan is that the Escape will be the only one to allow drop-off. It would be less confusing if they called it something other than Guppies.

The description for Guppies is for all ships. Guppies on Escape will be the first and thus far the only ship to allow drop off. On all other ships Guppies require the parent to be present.

Thanks for the info. I got the email and was psyched. I'm now less psyched to see that its only on the Escape, but still moderately psyched that it might be on the Breakaway come next May.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Guest phd1003

The hidden diaper fee...

Overall, there are very few fees associated with the Youth Programs.

Bracelet Reprint Fee: $5.00. This applies on ships with eYouth Tablet system.

Pager/Handy Phone Fee: $150.00 for damage and replacement.

Diaper Changing Fee: $28.00 (Nurse imposed fee when a parent is not reachable by the Splash Academy staff that their child needs to have their diaper changed)

Late Pick-Up Fee: Charges may apply.

• 1 month later...

I think NCL may have changed their minds on this being a nursery service with a drop-off option.

I emailed them today as was concerned it would be unsuitable for my DD who will be just days off of her 3rd birthday and would find it too babyish.

Their response (as well as being pretty uninformative) stated TWICE that the programme required parents to stay with their children. I asked them to double check and they came back with the same answer.

Also disappointed by this as it was one of the reasons we chose the cruise.