Countdown clocks, why leave them after you've sailed?

cruz chic

I've noticed some folks like to leave their countdown clocks listed after they sail. Some for four or five years after. I'm wondering why people want to clutter up their sigs that way. I'm so anal about removing mine I usually get rid of it the day before I sail.

I've noticed some folks like to leave their countdown clocks listed after they sail. Some for four or five years after. I'm wondering why people want to clutter up their sigs that way. I'm so anal about removing mine I usually get rid of it the day before I sail.

Probably for the same reason that some people have signatures that are 17 times longer than any post they do. Just want us all to know where they've been/what they've done (every last detail)

I wonder why some people list their countdown clocks horizontally across the page which pushes beyond the normal margins. It's a bit of a nuisance when we have to push the page to the right in order to see a whole post...... and then push it back,, to read the left side.

I wonder why some people list their countdown clocks horizontally across the page which pushes beyond the normal margins. It's a bit of a nuisance when we have to push the page to the right in order to see a whole post...... and then push it back,, to read the left side.

Yup, that too.

YES!!!! This.

I've got signatures turned off, so I'm not bothered by anything there. And if I want to see what someone has there, I simply click on their name and view their profile.

Edited by jtl513

I've often wondered the same thing.:)

I love to see that "sailed" message pop up. I won't waste expensive internet time onboard to remove the countdown clock but do try to take it down a day or so after I get home.

I don't like to see that come up. Leaving it up for a couple days is on thing, 5 years is something else:D.

I block signatures. I learned to do it on another discussion board. I don't really care to see every trip you've taken over your entire life, and it just makes the page longer. Not sure why it matters anyway.

I find it very distracting to see sailed, sailed, sailed over and over again. Yes, there is one person that posted today that has many expired countdowns. I do like to see cruises people have booked so I don't want to turn sigs off. If not, I would have turned them off long ago.

I do about 90% of my Cruise Critic reading on my phone. Mercifully, it don't see the signatures nor the sticky threads that way.

I do see them on the computer, though. I'm delighted to see that the moderators have decided to clean things up. I must admit, however, that I am baffled as to why HAL Facts in the signature has to go - while a countdown clock from the Titanic is allowed to remain. :cool:

I do about 90% of my Cruise Critic reading on my phone. Mercifully, it don't see the signatures nor the sticky threads that way.

I do see them on the computer, though. I'm delighted to see that the moderators have decided to clean things up. I must admit, however, that I am baffled as to why HAL Facts in the signature has to go - while a countdown clock from the Titanic is allowed to remain. :cool:

I agree.

It's an easy CSS (cascading style sheet) fix. Cruise Critic is running on an old, old version of vBulletin. (Old, old in this case is several years. Not pre-transistor radio.) Fixing the width issue is a piece of cake. I'm sure it's on their list of things to do.

I don't like to see that come up. Leaving it up for a couple days is on thing, 5 years is something else:D.

It's the Internet equivalent of driving with your turn signal on. (Or directional signal, or blinker, or flashing doo hickey. Not sure if I've covered every possible combination in the Anglosphere, but I tried.)

Ain't that the truth.:D:D

I must admit, however, that I am baffled as to why HAL Facts in the signature has to go -
I looked around and saw that quite a few people still have halfacts.com in their sigs, and Host Walt mentions it in his "HAL for dummies" sticky ... so what baffles me is why Krazy Kruizers was singled out for "recommending a disallowed wed site"!!

Edited by jtl513