Countdown clocks, why leave them after you've sailed?

cruz chic

I've noticed some folks like to leave their countdown clocks listed after they sail. Some for four or five years after. I'm wondering why people want to clutter up their sigs that way. I'm so anal about removing mine I usually get rid of it the day before I sail.

I remove mine within a month of the end of the cruise. It is easier to take down than put up so I don't know what the problem is.

I remove mine within a month of the end of the cruise. It is easier to take down than put up so I don't know what the problem is.

You're right about that! It is easier to take down than to put up;)

I take mine down when I get home from my cruise.

Mine's staying on until we return from the cruise; I'm not going to waste valuable internet time taking it off while on vacation. Sometimes though,it helps me get through cruise withdrawal till the next one is booked.;)

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

It's the Internet equivalent of driving with your turn signal on. (Or directional signal, or blinker, or flashing doo hickey. Not sure if I've covered every possible combination in the Anglosphere, but I tried.)

As usual, you are hilarious:D.

If it's not a problem for you that's great. I find it distracting. I'm not sure why it's difficult to take it down. The cruise is over. To leave it up doesn't make it different, does it? Like POA says, it's like leaving your turn signal on.

Mine's staying on until we return from the cruise; I'm not going to waste valuable internet time taking it off while on vacation. Sometimes though,it helps me get through cruise withdrawal till the next one is booked.;)

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I wouldn't use Internet time on the ship either. I usually do it the day before or while I'm on the epic adventure to get there:D. I think I might leave my next one up for 5 years or so:D.

For a while I had the signatures turned off. But then I spend time on other boards and found that some people where asking about this and that and I had no idea what ship they were sailing on. So I turned the signatures back on so that I could see their ship and when they were sailing and could help steer them in the right direction for answers.

BUT -- I do agree that people leaving their count down clocks for 3 - 4 - 5 years is terrible. A month is long enough.

What is in my signature is very simple.

For a while I had the signatures turned off. ... and I had no idea what ship they were sailing on. So I turned the signatures back on ...
If you leave them off it only takes two clicks to look at one when you want to.

I don't mind fairly recent ones being left on, but I must admit keeping very old ones (as in more than the past few months) doesn't make sense. You could just list them in your signature. I'm more bothered by huge fonts that scream "look at me" in the body of posts.:( Eyeball assaults. You can't hide those like you can with signatures, unfortunately.

I've got signatures turned off, so I'm not bothered by anything there. And if I want to see what someone has there, I simply click on their name and view their profile.

If you leave them off it only takes two clicks to look at one when you want to. [/size]

Completely agree with you John.. I have signatures turned off..

Can't imagine why someone who is annoyed about something on another poster's signature wouldn't turn off signatures.. :confused: If I want to see what ship a person is on or asking about, I can easily click on their name..

I don't mind fairly recent ones being left on, but I must admit keeping very old ones (as in more than the past few months) doesn't make sense. You could just list them in your signature. I'm more bothered by huge fonts that scream "look at me" in the body of posts.:( Eyeball assaults. You can't hide those like you can with signatures, unfortunately.

Agree completely. ;)

Completely agree with you John.. I have signatures turned off..

Can't imagine why someone who is annoyed about something on another poster's signature wouldn't turn off signatures.. :confused: If I want to see what ship a person is on or asking about, I can easily click on their name..

You do not need to understand just like I don't need to understand what bothers you. I'm not sure why posters have to post over and over again I could turn of the signatures. I'm very, very aware that is an option. Thx so much for mentioning it again:).

I have also wondered why some people have to list every cruise they have ever been on in their life And why we are at it why to some people have to quote the original post when replying to a post especially if it is a long post:eek:

I am not sure why people use countdown clocks. Is it really a good idea to post to the world that you will be away from your house for three weeks next month and also post the city you live in? I realize that the roll calls also do this, but a person has to register as a CC member to view those so they might be slightly more secure.

I take mine down the day before we sail. I also 'unsubscribe' from CC threads so my mailbox doesn't fill up while I'm cruising. I do enjoy looking at the upcoming cruise countdown clocks and also any past cruises (not countdown clocks) that may be listed in the signature.

I've got signatures turned off, so I'm not bothered by anything there. And if I want to see what someone has there, I simply click on their name and view their profile.

Learned something else today,did not know by clicking on some ones signature that you could view their profile.

Allan

I have also wondered why some people have to list every cruise they have ever been on in their life And why we are at it why to some people have to quote the original post when replying to a post especially if it is a long post:eek:

If someone is responding to a post a few (or more) up from where their post will appear, it can be confusing if the original question or comment is not clearly indicated.

I often will snip out the portion of a lengthy post that pertains to my response.

I am not sure why people use countdown clocks. Is it really a good idea to post to the world that you will be away from your house for three weeks next month and also post the city you live in? I realize that the roll calls also do this, but a person has to register as a CC member to view those so they might be slightly more secure.

I would agree with your point if it was on facebook. Unless someone uses their name and lives in a small town I would think it would be a bit difficult to figure out who someone is.

On a different vein, I recall there being a sticky a few years back from the mods asking people to clean up their old countdown clocks. I am assuming it must slow cc down. I wonder if some of the folks here would tell the mods to turn off their signature :D.

Learned something else today,did not know by clicking on some ones signature that you could view their profile.

Allan

You can click on their avatar, too. That's a whole extra new chunk o' knowledge. :D

I take my countdown clock off before we sail, too. Sometimes I find the clock only serves to remind me how much needs to be done in so little time:eek:! I also changed my home area to a much wider region.

Karen

I love to see that "sailed" message pop up. I won't waste expensive internet time onboard to remove the countdown clock but do try to take it down a day or so after I get home.

Sapper1, exactly the same thing I do!

And I agree with Shmoo also! That listing of 40 or 50 cruises is just too much for me. I've been cruising for 40 years, and have no intention of listing each and every one. The only ones which are important to me today are the ones I have reserved for the future. Once done, off they come, so I have room for the next one or two. :D