Poor itinerary choices / Galveston

include Key West and Bahama's to their itinerary, expanding options.

The exact reason we did Serenade from New Orleans. Sure it was an 8hr drive instead of 4 hrs., but worth the trip.

Completely see your point though, we're thinking of "sneaking one in" come September or October and the choices are 'been there' and 'never really cared to go.' I was real fired up about that first go-everywhere 9-nighter on the Liberty but just happened to be Fall Trade Show Week at the office. :(

I see Carnival Liberty listed at 110,000 gross tons. Voyager class is 138,000 tons, how is that bigger? I f you were talking about the Magic still only 128,000 tons.

Not carnival. Royal liberty of the seas is replacing Navigator of the seas. LOS is bigger than NOS

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

This comes up every so often. What many people don't seem to get is that there is a limited number of ports that a ship can sail from Galveston in 7 days. Of those, they have to have berths. Key West limited cruise ships a few years back - it's not the cruise lines fault they can't go there. Blame local Key West government. Nassau can only handle so many ships and those berths are already taken.

That being said, I do wish Costa Maya would get back on the itinerary. Seems a much better port than Belize or Falmouth. But Falmouth is probably a permanent fixture given how much they spent on the port itself.

Celebrity tried years back to do a 10 night itinerary, partial Panama Canal. They couldn't fill the ship. Basically, if you want variety in your ports, you are going to have to choose different starting points. That's just basic geography. We want to do Southern Caribbean one of these days and we know that's going to mean leaving out of San Juan.

Thank you for this explanation. Probably one of the best logical responses to my inquiry. Makes very good sense. Appreciate it! Thank you again!

The exact reason we did Serenade from New Orleans. Sure it was an 8hr drive instead of 4 hrs., but worth the trip.

Completely see your point though, we're thinking of "sneaking one in" come September or October and the choices are 'been there' and 'never really cared to go.' I was real fired up about that first go-everywhere 9-nighter on the Liberty but just happened to be Fall Trade Show Week at the office. :(

I saw that itinerary and thought it sounded exciting also. For alot of seasoned cruisers, people are looking for a different variety for ports of call. If I have seen all of them, it won't stop me from cruising. Just trying to add places I haven't seen. All good!

Because the ship is the destination...not necessarily the ports. A week on a ship without getting off is very relaxing for us. We absolutely love port days when the ship empties out!

Couldn't agree more! I love an empty ship as well. When I'm trying to find travel mates, if they are not seasoned cruisers, they want to get off. I've stayed back many times.

What the heck?:confused:

Someone is just saying they wish for my diverse itineraries. Why is everyone so combative to that perfectly reasonable idea.

Partial canal transits would be great from Texas!

I agree. I don't anything as they are complaining but moreso they are 'wishful'.

Variety is the "spice" of life! I love spices!

Thank you Arlene for taking my response as I intended. It wasn't combative - I don't really see anyone here being combative. Of course everyone would like more diversity in the ports. But there are hidden factors at play. Everyone moaning and groaning for Key West needs to accept that it WON'T happen. I don't recall the exact year but key West passed local regulations prohibiting more cruise ships. So unless you live in Key West, give it up. FWIW - I remember it well because Key West was also a favorite port of ours so we were bummed when they cut back on allowed ships. We've also done Progresso which was "meh". Nothing really there - good excursions were long drives. Playa del Carmen was fun but I think they can only accommodate 1 ship and I have a feeling the local tourism pushed back at too many cruise ships.

Basically, we have what we have. Let's not forget it took a few years when they pulled Rhapsody for Texas to even get a full time Royal ship again. Thank goodness we have a year round ship!

What the heck?:confused:

Someone is just saying they wish for my diverse itineraries. Why is everyone so combative to that perfectly reasonable idea.

Partial canal transits would be great from Texas!

I LOVE THIS COMMENT LMAXWELL! People get so bent out of shape when people make a comment or have an opinion.