Pros and cons of Alaska cruise is mid September anyone?

bjarrett7

September is a marvelous time to do a cruise tour, two years ago we had unbelievable scenery and sights as the Alaskans are preparing for winter. The scenery was gorgeous, aspen and other trees in full fall bloom, red berries everywhere, fireweed blooming. We saw more wildlife than ever, the salmon were still running in a couple areas and bears out in full force fattening up.

We saw many family groups out on ATVs hunting and at every stop locals explained their preparations for winter. We missed ketchikan due to rough water, we were the last Princess cruisetour of the season. We've been to Alaska six times and at least once in every tourist month, we loved every visit. This year we are going in May.

Do some type of land tour, independent or a cruise land tour combo. You don't see enough of real Alaskan life unless you spent time on land.

Edited by sammiedawg

We've done every month in Alaska. If you can't do peak of the summer, then our favorite was September. Last year we were on the last cruise and it was like sailing on glass.....just go prepared for layers, sun or snow, wind or rain - and the trip of a lifetime!

I've been in may, which is coming out of winter,, I've been in sept.,which is coming out of summer,,, I luv Sept., the rain, mist, fog, and sunshine seems so much warmer, and the leaves are still on the trees, so there's more colour to the scenery--

For those of you who have been to Alaska in September, how did you find the shorter days? We have been three times, all in May, and we really liked how long the days were.

I have to put this disclaimer in, before I answer you ;)

DISCLAIMER: I expect to never have such wonderful September weather again in Alaska, if I cruise in September to Alaska again.

Now that we have that out of the way.....

At home, our hours of daylight are similar to the part of Alaska where the cruise ships go. So for me, the difference in the length of days between May and September was consistent with what I had at home. I wasn't affected by the shorter hours of daylight, didn't even notice them.

What I did notice though was the moonlight reflecting on the water, because it was close to full moon. The water was like a mirror and the nights were close to cloud-free. So, despite, not being able to actually see much by moonlight, it was still lovely.

For those of you who have been to Alaska in September, how did you find the shorter days? We have been three times, all in May, and we really liked how long the days were.

We did the last cruise in Sept and then the first one (of the season) in May. A big difference in the amount of daylight (May of course being more) and we enjoyed seeing more scenery in the evenings. We did miss the "sales" onboard and in the ports that you get in Sept.

DaveOKC

Alright... Narrowing things down... I have a courtesy hold on Noordam but I like the fact that the Volendam leaves midweek... That's kind of nice. Has anyone cruised on these vessels? Could you offer any insight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alright... Narrowing things down... I have a courtesy hold on Noordam but I like the fact that the Volendam leaves midweek... That's kind of nice. Has anyone cruised on these vessels? Could you offer any insight.

Did AK on the Volendam twice. Leaving mid-week results in fewer ships in the ports with you = very nice IMO.

Volendam is a nice ship and we really enjoyed sailing on her. I like midship cabins, near the midship elevators for easy access.

DaveOKC

I've sailed on both ships multiple times, including the Volendam to Alaska last August.

I much prefer the Wednesday sailing day for this itinerary, as there are fewer people crowding the ports. There are still plenty of people even then!

Both ships are fine, although the smaller Volendam feels cozier, and also feels like it has more sheltered outdoor public space. That matters in Alaska.

Thanks everyone for patiently answering my questions! I looked at the prices this morning and noticed that the Westerdam's pricing is MUCH lower than the ships leaving out of Vancouver not to mention that the travel to Seattle is less expensive too. It seems like the biggest difference is cruising the inside passage as opposed to a sea day on Westerdam. How important is that for a first time Alaska cruise??

Thanks everyone for patiently answering my questions! I looked at the prices this morning and noticed that the Westerdam's pricing is MUCH lower than the ships leaving out of Vancouver not to mention that the travel to Seattle is less expensive too. It seems like the biggest difference is cruising the inside passage as opposed to a sea day on Westerdam. How important is that for a first time Alaska cruise??

Sailing out of Vancouver is my preferred route. Seas are MUCH calmer and the scenery is much better the first and last days. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you are sailing in late Sept, the scenery is less of an issue due to darkness.

As to cost, consider that you can take a bus from Seattle airport to Vancouver (even right to the pier!). HAL offers this, as do several other good local operators. Check the Canada message board here on CC for recommendations.

DaveOKC

The difference in price is probably due to the difference in demand. The r/t Vancouver route is more popular than the r/t Seattle.

I've done two r/t Seattle and one r/t Vancouver. You might want to check the ports on each itinerary and the amount of time spent in each. Some (all?) of the Vancouver itineraries visit Skagway, whereas I believe the Seattle ones go to Sitka instead. I thought the times in port on the Vancouver cruise were better than on the Seattle one. The Seattle cruises also stop in Victoria, which is a lovely city. But they're only in port there 6 p.m.-Midnight. When I was on a Seattle cruise I stayed on the ship in Victoria. I didn't want to be wandering around after dark.

Edited by cavecreekguy

The Seattle cruises also stop in Victoria, which is a lovely city. But they're only in port there 6 p.m.-Midnight.

Yea, this is because of an old US law (Jones Act?) preventing US port to US port shipping by foreign flagged vessels. The cruise needs to meet the requirement without impacting the intended itinerary too much.

For those that are curious, as I understand the requirement for cruise lines (it applies to cargo too, although slightly differently), if the ship is not US Flagged (and built, owned, and staffed by US Citizens) then it must visit at least 1 foreign port during its journey. Hawaii cruises deal with this as well. Trips to/from Hawaii and the mainland, and some Hawaii round trips have to make a foreign port call to meet the requirement. I remember when we wanted to cruise Hawaii round trip, most of the lines would sail a day for a late night stop a long way away on a not well known island, and then return the next day - thought it very odd until I understood why.

NCL's Pride of America is an exception in Hawaii, as it is a US Flagged ship (only one left I think). This allows her to do a round trip Hawaii cruise without a foreign port call. It actually was started to be built in Mississippi by American Classic Voyages (aka: American Hawaii Cruises - the one we took many years ago) prior to their bankruptcy and the subsequent failure of the heavily subsidized 'Project America' for new US built cruise ships.

Oh well. This probably didn't add much to the thread, but explains why Alaska voyages either originate/terminate in Vancouver, or, makes a stop in Canada along the way if they originate/terminate in a US west coast port.

Edited by brentp

You're referring to the Passenger Vessel Services Act. It is not the Jones Act.

Well, you got me to go look it up and is referred to as "The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act". :) Of course, it has been amended since then and may also be referred to as different names now as well, however, "Jones Act" sill prevails as the common reference name.

Doesn't really matter, but is why Canada is always part of an Alaska itinerary.

In looking it up, I read that Sen. McCain recently submitted legislation that would basically annul the law, though, it appears to lack support.

Edited by brentp

Well, you got me to go look it up and is referred to as "The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act". :) Of course, it has been amended since then and may also be referred to as different names now as well, however, "Jones Act" sill prevails as the common reference name.
I think you'll find that the Jones Act deals with cargo operations.

Passenger ships are still regulated by the PVSA, as RuthC says. The summary you give describes part of the PVSA's provisions, but while it explains Victoria (and Ensenada) it isn't quite the full story.

Updating my own Post. Apparently the Passenger Vessel Services Act is an 1886 predecessor to the Jones Act that deals with passengers and is still in effect. Apparently, many resources today simply refer to both as the Jones Act. My apologies. :)

The cost factors you mention led me to booking the Westerdam out of Seattle. The first time we cruised to Alaska, we cruised out of Vancouver. I think the biggest difference between the two when it comes to ports is in Ketchikan. I remember having more time in Ketchikan when we cruised out of Vancouver.

Juneau looks pretty much the same to me, time wise. The other difference is from Vancouver one goes to Skagway and from Seattle to Sitka. I would look at the two ports and see if there is something you really want to do in one of them.

The importance of the scenery on the first and last day is a personal one and only you can decide if it is a must for a first cruise.

Have fun making your decision and whichever you decide, enjoy and no regrets! Either way, it will be fabulous.

Debbie

Ok so please excuse my ignorance... But... How much can you see when you cruise through the inside passage?? I mean is that really important to consider??

You see lots when you cruise from Vancouver. I have not yet cruised from Seattle, but those ships traditionally go on the west side of Vancouver Island, whereas the ships leaving from Vancouver cruise on the east side of Vancouver Island. There are many areas where you can see land from both sides of the ship. I will try to upload a couple of pics.

Ok so please excuse my ignorance... But... How much can you see when you cruise through the inside passage?? I mean is that really important to consider??

The Inside Passage is exactly that---a water passage between land, fairly close, on each side. One side is the mainland of the continent, while the other side is Vancouver Island. The scenery is gorgeous everywhere you look.

The route from Seattle takes you to the west side of Vancouver Island, so there is ocean to view all around. In some places you do see land far off on one side, but not up close like the Inside Passage gives you.