Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

Same here -- if you are not yet at final payment, you can lock in the current DSC rate WITHOUT paying over any of the DSC until final payment. I just spoke with our PCC re our cruise in early 2016; he merely added the DSC to our invoice as "pre-paid" at the current rate, to be paid at final payment, and he sent me the new invoice to confirm it.

My TA was told something quite different this morning. She was told that if they added the service charge to my (future) final payment, the invoice would automatically be recalculated at the new, higher rate after March 1.

In other words, she was told that I cannot "lock it in" unless I actually pre-pay before March 1.

OTOH, I received the same email everyone else got, which did not list any deadline for pre-paying at the current rate.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary, my TA could have been talking to an NCL rep who made it up as s/he went along, etc etc. :)

My TA was told something quite different this morning. She was told that if they added the service charge to my (future) final payment, the invoice would automatically be recalculated at the new, higher rate after March 1.

In other words, she was told that I cannot "lock it in" unless I actually pre-pay before March 1.

OTOH, I received the same email everyone else got, which did not list any deadline for pre-paying at the current rate.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary, my TA could have been talking to an NCL rep who made it up as s/he went along, etc etc. :)

I called my TA today; she called NCL and now the total due at Final Payment is $168 higher. (2 of us on a 7-night) I logged in to my NCL account and under "Prepay Service Charges" it shows that I have prepaid the $168. :)

I called my TA today; she called NCL and now the total due at Final Payment is $168 higher. (2 of us on a 7-night) I logged in to my NCL account and under "Prepay Service Charges" it shows that I have prepaid the $168. :)

Yes, no argument there. However, my TA was told that the invoice would automatically recalculate after March 1, resulting in a higher balance due at final payment.

Again, maybe the person she spoke to was mistaken. I'd give it even odds. :p And for most passengers it's a trivial difference in cost. But in my case it's a long cruise, more than two pax, and a suite, so it's not as trivial.

Yes, no argument there. However, my TA was told that the invoice would automatically recalculate after March 1, resulting in a higher balance due at final payment.

Again, maybe the person she spoke to was mistaken. I'd give it even odds. :p And for most passengers it's a trivial difference in cost. But in my case it's a long cruise, more than two pax, and a suite, so it's not as trivial.

We booked our cruise 18 months ago and the port fees/taxes and insurance amounts were automatically recalculated at the first of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if the prepaid service charge amount was handled the same way.

Did your TA know whether the $14.95 for suites includes the butler and/or concierge in the gratuity pool? I haven't seen an answer to that yet. We still plan to tip the butler, concierge and room steward as before, but are not sure why there is now an additional $2 per day per person charge for suites over the other category staterooms.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Did your TA know whether the $14.95 for suites includes the butler and/or concierge in the gratuity pool?

I didn't want to befuddle her, so I didn't ask.

I believe there's been no official word, but according to several who have called and asked, butlers and concierges are not going to be part of the pool. This makes sense to me, because $2 per person per day is too low for a butler, let alone a butler plus a concierge.

Why the extra $2? I think it's because suites take longer to clean, so the steward will be assigned fewer cabins. Plus the staffing ratio is quite a bit higher in Cagney's for breakfast/lunch than it is in the other dining locations (MDR, buffet, etc.).

In a more cynical mood, I might speculate that it's because Celebrity and RCI already charge significantly higher gratuities for suite passengers. If it doesn't appear to have hurt their business, why wouldn't NCL follow suit? :rolleyes:

It's an additional $41.30 for my husband and myself in a suite on the 7-night. I can make good use of that savings! :D Ever the optimist, I am confident that what you've been told won't happen; however, I will be keeping a sharp eye on things! ;)

(I would be more than a little upset if they recalculated it on March 1st!) :(

It's an additional $41.30 for my husband and myself in a suite on the 7-night. I can make good use of that savings! :D Ever the optimist' date=' I am confident that what you've been told won't happen; however, I will be keeping a sharp eye on things! ;)

(I would be more than a little upset if they recalculated it on March 1st!) :(

In your shoes, I'd probably prepay with a credit card.

Think of it this way. If you took the money you're going to pay for service charges and put in an interest-bearing account today, between now and the date of your cruise you'd make less interest on it than the difference between the current ($12) and future ($14.95) service charge. So it's a completely reasonable financial decision to pre-pay, as long as you're fairly certain you're going to take the cruise.

We booked our cruise 18 months ago and the port fees/taxes and insurance amounts were automatically recalculated at the first of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if the prepaid service charge amount was handled the same way.

Did your TA know whether the $14.95 for suites includes the butler and/or concierge in the gratuity pool? I haven't seen an answer to that yet. We still plan to tip the butler, concierge and room steward as before, but are not sure why there is now an additional $2 per day per person charge for suites over the other category staterooms.

Somewhere in the beginning of this long thread...:) I did ask about the butler/concierge when I pre-paid my DSC and they are not included in the DSC. Someone else also asked both before and after I did (never hurts to have multiple inquires LOL) and received the same answer. Various guesses posted as to why the extra costs and I think someone also posted the DSC costs from other lines where the suite cost was more than other cabins.

Serious question:

Why is ANYONE prepaying for the sole purpose of "locking in" the lower rate?

You realize you aren't locking in anything, right?

You can pay at the end of the cruise, and just adjust the DSC down to the rate you would have "locked in" by prepaying.

Whether you "lock in" the $12 rate by prepaying the DSC before March 1, or adjust it down to $12 onboard, the staff will receive the exact same, with the only difference being that you hold onto your own money instead of giving it to NCL way too early.

Serious question:

You can pay at the end of the cruise, and just adjust the DSC down to the rate you would have "locked in" by prepaying.

Whether you "lock in" the $12 rate by prepaying the DSC before March 1, or adjust it down to $12 onboard, the staff will receive the exact same, with the only difference being that you hold onto your own money instead of giving it to NCL way too early.

I'd guess it's for three reasons.

1. People have got better things to do whilst on holiday than go to the service desk and get the charge removed.

2. Despite the fact that you do end up paying the same amount whether you prepay now or reduce at the time, getting it done on board is frowned upon by many and I'm sure lots of people wouldn't want to be seen to be altering the charge.

3. You can argue that you shouldn't do it the way you suggest. NCL state that you can reduce the DSC onboard if you have a service issue onboard, not because you don't agree with the amount. They have also given a way that it can be reduced. Many people like to do things the right way, whether the outcome is different or not.

Personally, I have some sympathy with all three, but number one would be my main reason.

Edited by KeithJenner

I'd guess it's for three reasons.

1. People have got better things to do whilst on holiday than go to the service desk and get the charge removed.

2. Despite the fact that you do end up paying the same amount whether you prepay now or reduce at the time, getting it done on board is frowned upon by many and I'm sure lots of people wouldn't want to be seen to be altering the charge.

3. You can argue that you shouldn't do it the way you suggest. NCL state that you can reduce the DSC onboard if you have a service issue onboard, not because you don't agree with the amount. They have also given a way that it can be reduced. Many people like to do things the right way, whether the outcome is different or not.

Personally, I have some sympathy with all three, but number one would be my main reason.

In a weeklong cruise, anyone can find the time to take a few minutes to adjust the DSC down.

You don't need a reason. You can decline to state one when you lower the DSC. This has already been discussed out here.

Of course, people can do what they want with their own time and money, but I just think it's laughable how people here are stressing over how they can "lock in" the $12 DSC.

Serious question:

Because most of the people on here won't reduce the service charge unless they have a service related issue that wasn't addressed.

Serious question:

Because most of us would never waste our vacation time being the kind of person who would lower their DSC for pretty much anything, much less for such a trivial matter. Makes one look petty.

In a weeklong cruise, anyone can find the time to take a few minutes to adjust the DSC down.

You don't need a reason. You can decline to state one when you lower the DSC. This has already been discussed out here.

Of course, people can do what they want with their own time and money, but I just think it's laughable how people here are stressing over how they can "lock in" the $12 DSC.

Just as I feel it's laughable to even waste 5 minutes of my vacation time adjusting the DSC on board.

Of course I can find the time, but it just isn't something that I want to be doing when I'm on holiday. More often than not when I walk past the desk there is a queue. You asked why others do what they do and, whether you feel the same or not, going to customer services to do something that they could have done beforehand is not what they want to be doing when on holiday.

Completely irrelevant.

My point wasn't about what you can do, but what NCL say that you can do. According to the FAQ's you can reduce the DSC if you have a service related issue that isn't resolved. The fact that they actually allow you to reduce it for any reason is not relevant to those people who want to follow the guidelines. Personally, the only reason I would adjust the DSC onboard is if I had an unresolved service issue.

You may not feel the same, but that doesn't mean it isn't a reason for some people. You asked for reasons and I gave them.

Oh goodness! I am definitely not stressing about the amount of DSC; nor would I waste any of my precious time on the ship trying to reduce the amount unless there was, as others have stated, a service issue. And my guess is that, should such an issue arise, it will be corrected quickly, meaning no need to reduce the DSC! ;)

I spend my time pre-vacation dealing with as many of the details as possible so our actual vacation will be relaxing and stress-free! :D

Serious question:

Serious answer:

I won't lower the service charge for anything other than an unresolved issue with service.

If I pre-pay at the lower rate, it has nothing to do with service. Rather, I'm choosing to pay the rate that I had agreed to pay at the time of booking.

I'm not stressing out about it. Clicking a few keys to take care of this now is not at all stressful.

It will be interesting to see the opinions that occur if the Dsc is recalculated up as of March 1. I will be prepaying it for my April cruise next week. But I will not prepay for a cruise that is 9 months away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

It will be interesting to see the opinions that occur if the Dsc is recalculated up as of March 1. I will be prepaying it for my April cruise next week. But I will not prepay for a cruise that is 9 months away.

Did you receive the email from NCL notifying booked passengers of the increase? The subject line said "Important Information for reservation (insert your reservation #)." That email message did not specify a date for pre-payment, so one could present the message as justification for adjusting the service charge back down if it does rise at any time after March 1.

Serious answer:

I won't lower the service charge for anything other than an unresolved issue with service.

If I pre-pay at the lower rate, it has nothing to do with service. Rather, I'm choosing to pay the rate that I had agreed to pay at the time of booking.

I'm not stressing out about it. Clicking a few keys to take care of this now is not at all stressful.

So you're totally okay with removing money from the staff before you cruise, but not removing it during the cruise?

Even though it comes out the exact same for the staff?

Hilarious.

I'm sure the staff will be impressed with your high morality as they open their smaller paycheck.

So you're totally okay with removing money from the staff before you cruise, but not removing it during the cruise?

Hilarious.

I'm sure the staff will be impressed with your high morality as they open their smaller paycheck.

Oh good grief :rolleyes:

Hilarious.

But I'm NOT removing money from the staff. I'm prepaying at the current rate. Prepayment has been an option for quite some time. It's not something that was created just for this situation.

Furthermore, I have no reason to believe anyone's paycheck will be smaller because of my decision to prepay. NCL does not share that information with us. We have no way of knowing how NCL distributes monies collected via the service charge.

For the record, I'm not being cheap. I always tip additional amounts to Splash Academy staff, the special diets coordinator, the butler, the concierge, our cabin steward, and the breakfast/lunch staff at Cagney's. Those amounts add up to far more than the amount I'll save by prepaying.

And as long as we're talking ethics and morality, how about we weigh the ethics of NCL changing the service charge after I booked?

Ultimately I have no qualms about prepaying at the rate that was communicated to me at the time of booking. :)

Edited by Pikaia