Britannia Maiden Sailaway

Loops05

Hi

During our weekend in the Salisbury area, my husband and I plan to drive over to Southampton to 'catch a glimpse' of Britannia on her maiden sailaway on 14th March. However, P&O seem to be relatively quiet with details of the launch.

Can anyone please help with details on the terminal she is due to sail from & the approx. time? Also, any recommendations for the best vantage point would be great too - either on Hythe or Southampton side of the water?

Many thanks in advance

Loz

Hi

During our weekend in the Salisbury area, my husband and I plan to drive over to Southampton to 'catch a glimpse' of Britannia on her maiden sailaway on 14th March. However, P&O seem to be relatively quiet with details of the launch.

Can anyone please help with details on the terminal she is due to sail from & the approx. time? Also, any recommendations for the best vantage point would be great too - either on Hythe or Southampton side of the water?

Many thanks in advance

Loz

Hi

I believe Britannia will be sailing from Ocean Terminal so I would suggest that Hythe Marina would be the best vantage point, not sure of the time but normally around 1630 hrs. Britannia is also doing a pre-maiden cruise for 2 nights leaving at 1630 hrs on Wed 11th March so if you are around that would be a good time to view before the crowds gather.

Hi

I believe Britannia will be sailing from Ocean Terminal so I would suggest that Hythe Marina would be the best vantage point, not sure of the time but normally around 1630 hrs. Britannia is also doing a pre-maiden cruise for 2 nights leaving at 1630 hrs on Wed 11th March so if you are around that would be a good time to view before the crowds gather.

She leaves from Ocean terminal but I think it will be later than 4:30. Our checking time is 3:30 so they are unlikely to get everyone aboard and the safety drill carried out by 4:30. Can't see departure being before 5:30 but P&O don't seem to want people to know.

She leaves from Ocean terminal but I think it will be later than 4:30. Our checking time is 3:30 so they are unlikely to get everyone aboard and the safety drill carried out by 4:30. Can't see departure being before 5:30 but P&O don't seem to want people to know.

We are on the next cruise to yours and have been given that time too. Are people observing these arrival times? When you have a 230 miles journey to make by car with two disabled Mums we are not chancing an arrival timed that late but also don't want to have to kill time in Southampton if they are turning people away. We have always got there about mid-day before.

We are on the next cruise to yours and have been given that time too. Are people observing these arrival times? When you have a 230 miles journey to make by car with two disabled Mums we are not chancing an arrival timed that late but also don't want to have to kill time in Southampton if they are turning people away. We have always got there about mid-day before.

It is quite a dilemma. We are travelling 180 miles. Normally we have check in times between 12:00 and 1:30 which allows time for delays on the roads. With checking in at 15:30, I am not sure how much time there will be to allow for such delays. If I leave a couple of hours early just in case, I am not sure we will be allowed to check in early considering this is the first time they will have checked in so many at one terminal. I will try and keep others informed on here once I have boarded so those on the second cruise will have some guidance. It is a pity P&O haven't made this clear.

The Southampton VTS site has now been updated and Britannia is down to sail from Ocean Terminal at 1700hrs 14 March.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Brian

She will arrive on 6th and then do ship day visits be named on the 10th and depart for a 2 night preperation cruise on 11th March returning on 13th.

Edited by majortom10

She will arrive on 6th and then do ship day visits be named on the 10th and depart for a 2 night preperation cruise on 11th March returning on 13th.

Any idea who she will be named by yet ?

I hope they bring back the brass band - will never forget our first P&O cruise as the band played for us for an hour.

You will be allowed to check in at 1200-1230 doesnt matter what it says on your e-ticket this was confirmed to me by P&O only last week.

I think I will leave it until around 2:00 to hopefully avoid some of what is likely to be a mad rush

The Southampton VTS site has now been updated and Britannia is down to sail from Ocean Terminal at 1700hrs 14 March.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Brian

Many thanks for this - I think we have done well with the Ocean Terminal for July 25th. :) We sail the same days as the Balmoral, the Azura and the Eclipse, so I am glad that we have already booked our hotel over night !!!

We are on the 25th July as well and we are booked into the Hilton and parking our car there for the fortnight. With all those other ships leaving on the same day it's going to be traffic chaos!!!:eek:

We're at the Holiday Inn and booked months ago to make sure we got a room and parking. I am sure it will be a great atmosphere to have lots of cruise passengers all staying pre cruise :)

Looks like the Queen will be naming her as she is in Hampshire that day or she was down to be there

It would make sense being called Britannia. It is getting exciting now, but it seems to have gone very quiet ! When we first booked on the Celebrity Silhouette she was a piece of metal and we watched her grow into a stunning ship. The build up to her naming was electric with so many videos released etc.

Strange that P&O don't seem to be showing any more images. :confused:

The maiden cruise is the first cruise when the ship is full of paying passengers. The earlier one seems to be for invited guests, employees, press and journalists etc who hopefully will provide excellent free publicity. I wouldn't imagine it will be anywhere near full. It will also iron out any potential glitches. This pre maiden will not adversely affect the excitement of driving down to Southampton on March 14th, boarding the ship and sailing away on her first real, proper cruise. I for one, can't wait whatever some distractors feel.

Does anyone know where Britannia is going on her 2 day pre maiden cruise and who will be on board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were invited on a one night stay for next week. We declined so not sure if she was going to stay docked or bob around for a few hours.

The maiden cruise is the first cruise when the ship is full of paying passengers. The earlier one seems to be for invited guests, employees, press and journalists etc who hopefully will provide excellent free publicity. I wouldn't imagine it will be anywhere near full. It will also iron out any potential glitches. This pre maiden will not adversely affect the excitement of driving down to Southampton on March 14th, boarding the ship and sailing away on her first real, proper cruise. I for one, can't wait whatever some distractors feel.

Am jealous. We sort of did a maiden cruise - well sort of. We were on the Silhouette when she did her first proper long cruise after her naming. It was slightly chaotic at the time but there is nothing like the feel of a new ship and the excitement. Enjoy every minute. :)