Medicare coverage overseas?

FirstTeacher

Could someone please explain about whether our Medicare insurance would cover us while in Europe? I've seen 2 posts on CC that mentioned it as an aside, with no explanation. If that's the case, does trip insurance offer health coverage?

You don't mention which country you're from, USA, Canada or what!! :confused:

Cato :)

Trip insurance does offer medical coverage, how much to buy is up to you.

Note that most trip medical coverage is "secondary". Simply how that works is you need to pay your medical bill first. Submit a claim to the trip insurance company and Medicare. The trip insurance will eventually pay whatever Medicare doesn't. If you can get "primary" coverage you skip the part where you submit a claim to Medicare.

In general, Medicare covers nothing outside of the U.S. If you have purchased (or have as a retirement benefit) a Medicare Supplement policy, it may or may not include coverage out of the U.S. (consult with the insurer).

Do not confuse the term "travel insurance." It can mean trip, health or a combo of the two. Also, your credit card may have some "trip" insurance benefits.

Do your homework and you may end up buying some combo policy from folks like Travelex.

Note too that, while your TA or cruise line may have a Travelex policy option, it's probably their own version of Travelex (with watered down benefits compared to what you can buy direct.

Hopefully, you know that insurance is one area where you must definitely "read the fine print" and ask many many questions.

I ALWAYS buy a good trip insurance policy, even though I have Medicare and coverage that goes beyond Medicare. Medicare doesn't cover you outside the U.S., whether on a cruise ship or land vacation. I have a good travel agent who helps me get exactly what I need, just in case I forget to hold the railing. :eek:

Could someone please explain about whether our Medicare insurance would cover us while in Europe? I've seen 2 posts on CC that mentioned it as an aside, with no explanation. If that's the case, does trip insurance offer health coverage?

Medicare does not cover outside USA.

I'd suggest you go to insuremytrip.com and take a look at some of the policies offered there, or call them and tell them your needs. They are brokers of many different companies,

Yes, trip insurance can cover medical and evacuation in addition to trip delay and trip cancellation. Most trip insurance policies do, but read the details.

Also, if you want it to cover pre-existing for cruisers and their immediate family you usually must pay the premium within 7-14 days of booking cruise.

I would also suggest you looking into MedJet Assist. This is a medical evacuation policy that would fly you home (to the hospital of your choice). The caveats are that you have to be in a "foreign" hospital, and that you are at least (I believe) 75 miles from home. They offer a policy for a single person or a family, also for either a single trip, or for an annual time period.

I never leave home without it.:)

I would also suggest you looking into MedJet Assist. This is a medical evacuation policy that would fly you home (to the hospital of your choice). The caveats are that you have to be in a "foreign" hospital, and that you are at least (I believe) 75 miles from home. They offer a policy for a single person or a family, also for either a single trip, or for an annual time period.

I never leave home without it.:)

........... have to be at least 150 miles from home.

Seeing OP is on Medicare, they likely are over 65 and if member of AARP there is a discount worth asking for.

If I'm not mistaken, everybody in Canada is covered by a Medicare type health coverage. I wonder what Canadian coverage is while out of the country?

We can do a claim to our provincial program and they will reimbourse whatever would be paid here... in my province, no more than 20$ for a walk-in visit, at best a couple hundred dollars per day if hospitalized. A canadian getting sick in the USA without an extra private insurance will be bankrupted in a week or two! ;-)

If I'm not mistaken, everybody in Canada is covered by a Medicare type health coverage. I wonder what Canadian coverage is while out of the country?

Although we have a full health care system in Canada it does not cover us outside the country and, in fact, we are encouraged to purchase additional insurance when travelling to other provinces as not all provincial plans are the same. This means that something covered in BC may not be in Quebec, as an example.

........... have to be at least 150 miles from home.

Seeing OP is on Medicare, they likely are over 65 and if member of AARP there is a discount worth asking for.

Thanks. I've had trouble remembering the distance. Also, is it 150 miles "from home", or that distance from the US? Plus every time I've gotten a policy from them I've forgotten to bring up my AARP coverage.

Edited by Treven